Chat about Equipment Info

Postby Jon S. » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:36 am

Who built that beauty?!
Jon S.

Postby paulinnc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:53 pm

Nice.
paulinnc

Postby gratefulnuge » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:39 pm

it was built by Michas guitars in Denver... http://www.michasguitar.com/...reallly sweet stuff!
gratefulnuge
TC
TC

Re: The Wolf

Postby paulinnc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Hey guys,

Does anyone have headstock dimensions for the Wolf? I have been in contact with Doug at Soulmate about a neck and I need to get solid dimensions for the headstock.

Length, width, and tuning hole measurements. If anyone could shoot me a pm with that please let me know.

Thanks.
paulinnc

Postby paulinnc » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 am

Anyone? Any info would be helpful. Happy New Year.
paulinnc

Postby paulinnc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:53 pm

I just got this in an email from Doug at soulmate guitars. This is going to be an awesome project!!!

paulinnc

Postby KWRummie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:17 am

That is a beautiful through body neck. :smile: I'm working with Doug on one right now. Please keep us posted on your progress. A Wolf inspired guitar may be my next project and I would start with a neck like yours.
KWRummie
Donna
Donna

Postby paulinnc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:12 pm

I just picked up the neck from the post office and all I can say is WOW!! The previous picture does not do Doug's work justice at all. This is hands down the nicest piece of wood I have ever seen. The feel of the neck contour is absolutely gorgeous. It feels like velvet. Anyway, without further ado here are some quick pics I snapped. If anyone is planning a Jerrycaster talk to Doug at Soulmate guitars, he knows his stuff, and it is worth the money.

Now the next step for me will be to trace a template onto some plexiglass. I am going to book match the maple and sandwich the purple heart with it. It won't be the crazy Irwin/alembic sandwich but it will be sandwiched nonetheless.
Last edited by paulinnc on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulinnc

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Man, that looks amazing! That is going to be one beautiful Wolf!

Edit: Just checked out the site - very nice. If I had one thing to do over on my Bass project it would be starting with a through-neck exactly like this. I don't mind that mine's a bolt-on and I love my Warmoth neck, it just would have made a few things a lot easier during the building process and I would have been able to choose a more Irwin-like headstock.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby paulinnc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks, I am being very patient with this project. I want it to be perfect so I will hold out for the parts I want etc. Also this is probably the coolest thing I have ever done. I am not even all that good at playing but every guitar I have tried just didn't feel or sound right to me, so I decided to make my own. I started a few months ago with a partscaster which turned out awesome btw. After aquiring the body woods for my wolf project, I had to get money saved up and I commissioned Doug at soulmate for the neck and it was the best decision I have made thus far on this project. So after I get my speaker cab and this axe finished I think I will be good on gear hopefully for awhile.
paulinnc

Postby paulinnc » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Attention Wolf owners,

DOes anyone know the neck angle for their guitars? I will be using a Gibson Harmonica style bridge and could use some help on the build. Thanks.
paulinnc

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:33 am

Wouldn't your neck angle be predetermined at this point? Assuming you're leaving it neck-through, that is, and I certainly would. I wish I had, not because of the sound but because it'd have been a lot easier!

Also - we found plexiglass to be really hard to deal with for template building and had much better luck with MDF. You get a lot more control over the curves and can make straighter, smoother edges. We wasted a whole day and a half with plexi before switching.

Check out my photos if you want, I tried to keep step-by-step records of the process.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danfcrea/s ... 940563012/
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Mandoborg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Paul, that's looking really good there ! When using the Gibson/Schaller bridge, i found a neck angle between 3 and 4 degrees to work properly, 5 degrees sits the bridge up too high, at least on a 25.5 scale length. Take a look at this link......... calculate, draw, calculate , draw.... always checking your numbers..... once you glue those sides on you want that angle to be right the first time !

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4469/resource.html Click on the neck angle link .

I have never had a problem using acrylic for templates myself. Just take your time with everything, and when your all done , wet sand it with 220 paper to take the shine/reflection off both sides. Acrylic is nice because you can see right through it and position your template exactly where you want it.

Enjoying following the progress of your guitar.......keep the pics coming...... I'll be starting another Tiger here soon and this time around will probably photograph this one pretty extensively. I never thought people would be that interested in the actual build process !

Jim Combra
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby aoguitars » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Hey Paul, just checking in on the status. How's everything coming along?
Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com
aoguitars
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby paulinnc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:47 pm

aoguitars wrote:Hey Paul, just checking in on the status. How's everything coming along?

Actually I haven't done anything yet. The wood is at the woodshop, I am going to get another piece of maple and some hardware before I do any cutting. Between working full time and attending UNC part time I haven't really had the chance to get going on it. Thanks for asking though, I am sure I'll be in touch again.
paulinnc

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion