D. Irwin 4-string bass ref:Tom Lieber ,P. Saam

Chat about Equipment Info

D. Irwin 4-string bass ref:Tom Lieber ,P. Saam

Postby philsaam » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:57 am

To those interested here is a description of a 1974 4-string bass by Doug Irwin--I was introduced to Doug Irwin by George Mundy- the bass was contracted to be built in the spring of 1974 -I was 21 ---I traveled about 2 to 3 times a month to visit Doug and help with the project-this went on about 2 years---bass was delivered to me by doug where I was playing ---walking through the audience with the bass held out in front of him like a shield -proud of it and showing it off -with pride---the bass is of a design that at the time was the first of a number of instruments to be named Garcia --the bass was delivered to me in 1976 spring --the alembic electronics completed by about June---total cost running w/anvil case close to 5k -4800.00 ----------built to my specs -neck /electronics -moveable PUs -wood selection -and bridge tailpiece shape with body scalloped contours to give added appeal to otherwise blank spot on body the instrument was finished with --POLANE -a clear coat -which had to be removed due to the terrible orange peeling -darkening of finish as it aged--a new clear coat was applied when Larry Robinson -Robinson custom inlays--took the bass for an overall maintance up-grade and detail ---finish has an UV inhibitor to reman clear as water --and has ---Alembic filters -standard active system stereo wired -seperate bass ---treble PU output -1/4 phone stereo jack--a lemo connector for the power supply cord-- 18V DC with a switch for internal [batts] external rack box -input module ---indicator led for when in use--body is flamed koa core -curly koa top and back --two plates on front of bass are of california walnut flamed -with edge binding--a adjustable brass bridge /w brass inserts in body --a trough routed for pickups to move inside--notice two brass rods in trough-{ man this is such an asset to the bass --] the neck is 7ply flamed koa vermillion ,maple veneers -purple heart------Gaboon ebony finger board --german nickel steel hard fret wire---still orig 34yrs and counting--130 +pieces inlayed in fingerboard MOP_IVORY _ABALONE---inlay on back --in marquetry flamed maple,brass,MOP , abalone--peghead is MOP eagle abalone Tuners are schaller orig -34yrs--has a brass nut -and strap locs------this is my bass and am not a big name talent --but my bass is the first made like it -and it plays like no other ---my I use the word ""SONORITY' its the best bass that money could buy ----greater than the sum of its parts ----its been a pleasure to tell you Bob -Waldo--this story thankyou for this honor -to Doug -Tom --Larry -Ron and to Phil Lesh and the Greatful Dead family I truly love you all ---------thanks for puttin up with me peace phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Re: D. Irwin 4-string bass ref:Tom Lieber ,P. Saam

Postby playingdead » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:31 am

Awesome, Phil.

Do you have photos of the bass to share beyond what Tom put up?
playingdead

Postby strumminsix » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:55 am

what a truly awesome story! Thanks for sharing, Sam!
strumminsix

Postby milobender » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:42 am

:smile: Yes, some more photos would really be great! :cool:

Brian
IO Custom Guitars
http://www.9mileskid.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby philsaam » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:38 pm

I have a 5 string bass that Doug was to build --again it was up to Doug to finish it --I believe shoprtly after the 4-string was on the books - mid summer of 74 a design solely my own was agreed on to build --I have a couple old shots-- but , I will take new pics of both my basses and send them to Tom and let him make the posting --you can have them no problem --no ---thankyou for appreciating the handicraft-art- the visual as well as the sound from such creations ---to your satisfaction I hope --they will be! just remember though --some builders are out of sinc with the aspect of providing a quality product to a deserving talent --affordable but of obvious advanced construction and of quality materials --I remember when Alembic basses sold for 950.00---1150.00---1300.00 ----1500.00 on & on --To me Alembic set a standard --check out Victor Wootens comments as to acquireing his first Alembic --Stanleys too-----as time by------with respect to costs rising on things ---I am glad there is a Bag End -Alembic-Hardtruckers-my point ---what would we have to settle for without them to at least make comparisons too---I took pics of phils bass because I was so impressed by the revolutionary advancement in electric bass design-and construction ---I was 18 when at 60 Brady st Rick Turner handed to me Jack Casadys custom Alembic---let me tell you it is /was then-the most life changeing situation /event of my life--so to celebrate the bass in all its forms is to also understand it ---to share with you guys my bass pics is to pay respects back ------we are all in this together --I grabbed this kid walking down my street and asked him if he would pose with my bass for a few pics --dont even remember his name --hold it like this -he did - click-click-done ----there is a mesa-boogie sticker on my garage door -seen over his shoulder-----boy dont I rattle on ---blah bbbblah babablah----geeze-----I sent tom a big pic of jacks bass --showing the original electronics layout--man this bass is to me is the HOLY GRAIL ---its RON WICKERSHAMS super filter in a bass --Ron is GOD to me----to a point --thanks for the warm reception from you all --its nice--hope to be of some good to you -wish all of ya -more happiness and success than ya can stand --Mae West said," to much of a good thing is a good thing"---hey - Iam still laughing over the terms " brown note" -- whats that - a passing tone into a clashing tone? and Phil Bomb ----hey you are to close to THE SPEAKERS __DUDE! HUH ? ----pardon me for the diatribe --hey man its raining ---lets go fishing now there is water--be back later--- Phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby waldo041 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:49 pm

what a lucky kid! i wonder if he knew the signifigance of what he was holding!lol

while hanging out in irwin or alembic shops, aside from phils mission control bass, did you get a chance to hold or play wolf or tiger?

appreciate your time and hope to see them pics soon.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby philsaam » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:57 am

greetings , it is going to be necessary to take new pics and as soon as I am able you will see them -this is a way for me to provide to you , an enhancement to the legacy left by both Jerry and Doug, Tom included--since Jerrys "Tiger" guitar is so highly admired -the back of my bass will be the focus for pictures I will take , perhaps giving the instruments a little connection with each other during their initial birthing stages---I always believed that as you may all agree--what was a pricey indulgence to some has now been made unmistakenly clear for all to agree on and that being --the instruments are -greater than the sum of there parts -they are tools of the trade 1] are also statements in old world craftsmanship , and 3] works of art --most importantly they are instruments that are meant to be played -they will survive the test of time ----please if you would for me --check out the Robinson Custom Inlay web page --be inspired and enjoy -----music is what we concieve of it to be ---and so are the instruments we use to play it--hey I got one for ye---GUESS? whats the sound everyone loves to make ,but nobody likes to hear?---------this note mozart couldnt find on the piano either-----well its ------------------------all about the "OOOOOOOOOO" ok thanks - phil --
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby mutant_dan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:55 pm

waldo041 wrote:while hanging out in irwin or alembic shops, aside from phils mission control bass, did you get a chance to hold or play wolf or tiger?

Doug gave me a bunch of the wood cut from Tiger's hippie sandwich. I made pipes from the wood and gave them to friends and family members. Wonder where all those Tiger pipes are today!!
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 am

mutant_dan wrote:
waldo041 wrote:while hanging out in irwin or alembic shops, aside from phils mission control bass, did you get a chance to hold or play wolf or tiger?

Doug gave me a bunch of the wood cut from Tiger's hippie sandwich. I made pipes from the wood and gave them to friends and family members. Wonder where all those Tiger pipes are today!!

Any Proto's from the leftover brass? :D
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Mandoborg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Great information there Phil, thanks for sharing ! Irwin is a legand, but it's funny, he didn't really seem to build that many instruments so first hand knowledge of one is precious information ! Plus 2 of your post were at precisely 2:57 AM, how can you go wrong talking guitars at that hour !! LOL !!! It's also great to see Larry Robinsons name mentioned as he is often over-looked in the whole story of that beautiful Hippie guitar movement that still influences today.

Mutant Dan, i actually saw one of those pipes on e-bay a few years ago, asking price was $40.... Used :O)~~

This site is just ooozing with information....... started stashing woods for another Tiger style to be started this spring !!!!
Mandoborg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby philsaam » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:17 am

Dear Mandoborg-----thankyou dont mean to be a name dropper but have to pay my respects to those I remember contributed to my success ---I miss Doug Irwin --he is a long lost brother to me ---the time I spent with Doug in his shop in santa rosa --just off the old sonoma hiway --times that were precious --I am still learning from those experiences ---treasured memories -----I am happy to share some ---some - they will be , are for Doug -{TOM LIEBER} {STEVE STRANGE} and me --Doug introduced me to Mickey Hart --I gave mickey a conga drum I made to which he really was delighted ---loved it ---it has a good home !!hey there is one person you can pay respects too --that of Frank Fuller----Frank Fuller master luthier builder --the man who put a core in the alembic guitars ----the " SANDWICH" as it is known ---be that as it may be told --Give to Frank Fuller his added efforts to the success of Alembic ----there will always be stories to tell --but there is only one of each of us -------I love this web site and the good inspiring intentions it means to bring together !!!!! I have free 24hrs ---so I respond at will when ever --I am permantely disabled from a spinal cord injury -some 17 yrs ago --thats why------its by invitation from Tom Lieber that I to speak to you . The Greatful Dead have given us here a means to unite what otherwise we would not realize that all of us have something in common ----Thankyou Mondoborg for your kindness -----say hi top Larry Robinson for me if you visit with him, at all ---I love him like a brother ---good man - an increadible artist -and an even better friend ----keep on keepin on --------------"-its all about the love " phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby philsaam » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:19 am

Hello again , hey you guys --this is gonna make you laugh --this is true ----I had a Rickenbacker 4001 bass --I bouight it in 73 at guitar center sf ---well --Doug Irwin says to me one day ---hey how bout a new new neck for your Rick ---wha ..t ? after talking me into it --OK so about two months go by and done [6weeks]-----the new neck -3ply --birdseye maple outer -center purple heart ---vermillion fingerboard ---peghead that of a rickenbacker orig [shape] top was purple heart /with flamed maple marquetry and a center block inlay --mother of pearl --and RICKENBACKER --engraved with a red/prupleish stain to the letters ---the fingerboard was sprayed with a clear coat --neck and body were oil finished ---the body had a pick guard made of purple heart with flamed maple inlayed accents ---3 Hi -A PUs ---wired in stereo ---and gold plated tailpiece -brass nut - and schallers gold ----------oh the 3rd pu was a first made custom mute compartment pu --specially made for me by Bill Bartollini -------there was a gain knob ---no tone control for it ------and the control knobs were the fat GIBSON SPEED KNOBS -translucent gold color ----Doug cut off the Rickenbacker neck and made the most incredible neck to body glue joint ----a long heel up back of neck with a purple heart veneer center -----------you know this bass was ---------HAPPENING-----------I was so thrilled that I called Rickenbacker to tell them how beautiful this bass has become --I thought the company would be happy to see it for them selves --checkout the new PU as well -the mute compartment PU ----nothing but good vibes right ------if you get bass player mag --check out the Chris Squire interview in the JAN 09--article ---they were pissed at him because he used round wound strings --now thatys funny -------------guess what happened when I called back in 77--------------------------------------------------------------well on the horn -the guy who answered was the PRESIDENT of Rickenbacker ---I wanted to introduce myself and tell him, the upgrades ----ho78y sh6-t this dude wanted to kill me --you did what?? he went into a full blown --GRAND MALL SIEZURE complete with sound track --him bustin up his office -sweeping his desk top clean with one arm ---spittin and and ah pissin ---talkin in tongues fits --some kind of martian street scatter lingo ---maybe an old world incantation --beats me ----but holy smokes this guy was in a violent primal screem moment that Fritz Pearls from the BIG SUR , ESALEAN INSTITUTE --they specialize in Primal Scream Threapy-----you can call it ROAD RAGE if you want --a Brain Wedgie---what ever--------------------------I sold this bass sometime later to Mike Shrieve ---remember him as Santanas percusionist ---I think Mike lives in the Chicago area --teaches percussion there --well i HOPE THERE WAS A LITTLE HUMOR TO THIS STORY ---its fact -----heres to you --my friends on RUKIND ---LOVE YA _________phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby philsaam » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:19 am

Hello again , hey you guys --this is gonna make you laugh --this is true ----I had a Rickenbacker 4001 bass --I bouight it in 73 at guitar center sf ---well --Doug Irwin says to me one day ---hey how bout a new new neck for your Rick ---wha ..t ? after talking me into it --OK so about two months go by and done [6weeks]-----the new neck -3ply --birdseye maple outer -center purple heart ---vermillion fingerboard ---peghead that of a rickenbacker orig [shape] top was purple heart /with flamed maple marquetry and a center block inlay --mother of pearl --and RICKENBACKER --engraved with a red/prupleish stain to the letters ---the fingerboard was sprayed with a clear coat --neck and body were oil finished ---the body had a pick guard made of purple heart with flamed maple inlayed accents ---3 Hi -A PUs ---wired in stereo ---and gold plated tailpiece -brass nut - and schallers gold ----------oh the 3rd pu was a first made custom mute compartment pu --specially made for me by Bill Bartollini -------there was a gain knob ---no tone control for it ------and the control knobs were the fat GIBSON SPEED KNOBS -translucent gold color ----Doug cut off the Rickenbacker neck and made the most incredible neck to body glue joint ----a long heel up back of neck with a purple heart veneer center -----------you know this bass was ---------HAPPENING-----------I was so thrilled that I called Rickenbacker to tell them how beautiful this bass has become --I thought the company would be happy to see it for them selves --checkout the new PU as well -the mute compartment PU ----nothing but good vibes right ------if you get bass player mag --check out the Chris Squire interview in the JAN 09--article ---they were pissed at him because he used round wound strings --now thatys funny -------------guess what happened when I called back in 77--------------------------------------------------------------well on the horn -the guy who answered was the PRESIDENT of Rickenbacker ---I wanted to introduce myself and tell him, the upgrades ----ho78y sh6-t this dude wanted to kill me --you did what?? he went into a full blown --GRAND MALL SIEZURE complete with sound track --him bustin up his office -sweeping his desk top clean with one arm ---spittin and and ah pissin ---talkin in tongues fits --some kind of martian street scatter lingo ---maybe an old world incantation --beats me ----but holy smokes this guy was in a violent primal screem moment that Fritz Pearls from the BIG SUR , ESALEAN INSTITUTE --they specialize in Primal Scream Threapy-----you can call it ROAD RAGE if you want --a Brain Wedgie---what ever--------------------------I sold this bass sometime later to Mike Shrieve ---remember him as Santanas percusionist ---I think Mike lives in the Chicago area --teaches percussion there --well i HOPE THERE WAS A LITTLE HUMOR TO THIS STORY ---its fact -----heres to you --my friends on RUKIND ---LOVE YA _________phil
philsaam
Brent
Brent

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:51 pm

philsaam wrote: ---I wanted to introduce myself and tell him, the upgrades ----ho78y sh6-t this dude wanted to kill me --you did what?? he went into a full blown --GRAND MALL SIEZURE complete with sound track --him bustin up his office -sweeping his desk top clean with one arm ---spittin and and ah pissin ---talkin in tongues fits --some kind of martian street scatter lingo ---maybe an old world incantation --beats me ----but holy smokes this guy was in a violent primal screem moment that Fritz Pearls from the BIG SUR , ESALEAN INSTITUTE --they specialize in Primal Scream Threapy-----you can call it ROAD RAGE if you want --a Brain Wedgie---what ever ... well i HOPE THERE WAS A LITTLE HUMOR TO THIS STORY ---its fact -----heres to you --my friends on RUKIND ---LOVE YA _________phil

Almost made steamed milk and espresso come out my nose! POST OF THE DAY. Cheers, Phil
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:25 pm

haha, he said brain wedgie!

lol!

seriously though, cool story phil! did this rick get the irwin eagle or deluxe logo? who owns it now?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion