The elusive descending notes...

The elusive descending notes...

Postby ElCondor » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:08 pm

Does any know the de3scending notes/chords picked toward the end of the song? Jerry and Jimmy both play them, several time, usually around the very end. It almost sounds like simple triads they repeat a few times, then go lower, and back up, lower. It sounds like a waterfall. It is probably 3 simple chords simply picked, but I can't, for the life of me, figger it out!?!?! Help on the Way? :( ---Condor
ElCondor
welcome
welcome

Re: The elusive descending notes...

Postby a.graham.robertson » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Pretty sure I figured it out:

Eb..........Eb.............Bb............Ab
Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,

....Eb..........Ebm.......Bb............C
A knife in the back and more of the same.
a.graham.robertson
welcome
welcome

Postby jonarobb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:09 pm

Jerry and Jimmy? Do you mean Tom and Jerry? I like the end of He's Gone too, especially when the song is over.
jonarobb

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:07 am

AGR, "F"? why? it's correct for F but its the bridge. I think the poster was talking about the final instrumental coming directly after the outro vocal jam, which usually led to Drums or an E-anchored Bob tune like Truckin, Smokestack,etc (unless you play those in F as well). JR, no smile smile smile for you? This one is chock full of Garcia grins for me. I just can't seem to figure out Jimmy's part on this one though... it's like :?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby ElCondor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:59 am

Tigerstrat, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! It's like "321-321-321-321 (then down a chord) 321-321(down) 321 123 E--------------> (repeat several times then usually head for Drums/Space...
ElCondor
welcome
welcome

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:22 am

Dude
Have you been waiting 5 years for an answer ????????????
:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Pete B. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:54 am

If you want to lower this songs key, I would suggest playing it in D (the whole song lies really nicely on the fretboard in either E or D). Eb is cruel and unusal, in my mind.
The thing at the end is just arppegios based on 7th chord inversions (very similar to Truckin').
Sorry but it's the CAGED thing once again... there's 5 inversions for you right there.
fwiw, DP15 disk 3 is a good reference for this passage.
Pete B.

Postby ElCondor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:21 am

Yes, I HAVE been waiting 5 years for a reply... Then BLAM!!! Like all of these hits in one day! LOL

The whole CAGED/7th chord inversions thing is way above my level of musical communications. I have been playing for 20 years, pretty good for as little as I get to play, but never well versed on them thar fancy, high-falootin' werds 'n such. Just give me a chord or two, a dumbed down description, and I'll have it.

I never change keys from original. Since I have no time to play in a band anymore, playin' with THE Band is my only escape, so...
ElCondor
welcome
welcome

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:08 pm

I know what your talkin about and I can usually do a decent job mimickin it. Ill play it tonight and throw my idea of it up tomorrow ok?
BlobWeird

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm

Pete B. wrote:If you want to lower this songs key, I would suggest playing it in D (the whole song lies really nicely on the fretboard in either E or D). Eb is cruel and unusal, in my mind.
The thing at the end is just arppegios based on 7th chord inversions (very similar to Truckin').
Sorry but it's the CAGED thing once again... there's 5 inversions for you right there.
fwiw, DP15 disk 3 is a good reference for this passage.

Pete, "agr" was posting the bridge of the song in a raised key, F (or does the bridge modulate the key down a step?). I've never thought about lowering HG to D; E is very very nice imo.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby a.graham.robertson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:33 pm

tigerstrat wrote:AGR, "F"? why? it's correct for F but its the bridge. I think the poster was talking about the final instrumental coming directly after the outro vocal jam, which usually led to Drums or an E-anchored Bob tune like Truckin, Smokestack,etc (unless you play those in F as well). JR, no smile smile smile for you? This one is chock full of Garcia grins for me. I just can't seem to figure out Jimmy's part on this one though... it's like :?

Oh my bad, I thought he was talking about the bridge because it can sound like it's descending if you follow the high notes (Ab, Ab, Ab, Gb, G, Gb, F, G). I was playing to the Europe '72 version, which is actually played somewhere between E and F, but it's closer to F. Upon further research, you're right though... it's usually played in E.
a.graham.robertson
welcome
welcome

Return to He's Gone