what is this song aboot, eh?

what is this song aboot, eh?

Postby hipdude » Sat May 13, 2006 3:44 am

this is an interesting story
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon
hipdude
rukind?
rukind?

Postby Trystine » Sat May 13, 2006 5:12 am

It has the familiar(typical) randomness that only Hunter can come up with that leaves you wanting to know more but somehow gives you all that you need to know...Stubborn masculine innocence.
"Stupid music makes people do stupid things"--Anthony From Bonnaroo
Trystine
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Sat May 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Mr. Charlie is a railroad foreman from the early 20th Century, and if he catches any of you hobos sleepin in his box cars, he'll pop a salt cap in your ass from his shotgun.

Coincidentally, my great-granddad was a freekin U.P. rail foreman who was killed by a train in the Oakland yard in 1904! My dad has a little 5-shot revolver he used to carry.
tigerstrat

Mr. Charlie

Postby phreaker » Sat May 13, 2006 3:46 pm

The Dead always had a thing for early 20th century stuff, and cowboys, didnt they?

makes 'em that much cooler.
phreaker

Postby sarraqum » Sun May 14, 2006 3:37 am

Hmmm, I always thought it was about cocaine...
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jck_strw » Sun May 14, 2006 9:22 am

http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby hobo » Sun May 14, 2006 4:54 pm

"Mr. Charlie" is the bad-ass challenge of a wronged rounder finally doing out his revenge. In the blues idiom Mr. Charlie is a common character, usually taken to mean the field foreman who keeps the plantation slaves in line-sort of the blues song equivalant of an Uncle Tom.
-dead encyclopedia
hobo

Postby abspatz » Tue May 16, 2006 10:13 pm

if you're interested in meanings of the dead's songs, you can check out the website jck_strw linked to...and there is also a bitchin book that the author of the website put out called the annotated grateful dead lyrics. the book is alot of fun to read, and its packed full of old time wisdom. i'd highly recommend it.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby CaptainTrips » Mon May 22, 2006 2:35 am

abspatz wrote:if you're interested in meanings of the dead's songs, you can check out the website jck_strw linked to...and there is also a bitchin book that the author of the website put out called the annotated grateful dead lyrics. the book is alot of fun to read, and its packed full of old time wisdom. i'd highly recommend it.

absolutely!!! David Dodd is the author and the book is just fantastic. It has so much good info. I highly recommend it as well.
CaptainTrips

Postby phpbb » Mon May 22, 2006 8:16 am

phpbb

Return to Mr. Charlie