JBL E-120 vs. D-120 - Any Thoughts?

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 am

Jon S. wrote:Hang onto that head. In addition to its excellence with guitars, it makes a heckava small club bass amp.

I have the same '68, but preamped to a SS Yorkville amp, which is also my bass rig - I just switch cabinets: For guitar, 1x12 at 8ohm draws 250w from the amp... for bass, I switch to two 2x10 cabs stacked in a column, total parallel load of 4ohm drawing 400w from the Yorky. These are two Yorkville Elite 400 PA speakers, the tweeters discoed to make bass-reflex cabs. The two 10" drivers in each are of some weird Italian make, each one rated at 4ohm/200w, wired in series for a cab imp. of 8ohm. They're not the cripest bass cabs I've played through, in fact they have to my ears a pleasingly growly, vintage early 70's Phil sound to them.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby George » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:05 pm

If i were to replace my stock peavey speaker in my peavey valveking 112 with the jbl e120 would the tone difference be quite noticeable? I'm guessing that the stock peavey speaker is nothing to write home about and the e120 should be a significant upgrade, yes? Can anyone put to words what the tone change might be like? thanks for your input.
George
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby strumminsix » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 am

George wrote:If i were to replace my stock peavey speaker in my peavey valveking 112 with the jbl e120 would the tone difference be quite noticeable? I'm guessing that the stock peavey speaker is nothing to write home about and the e120 should be a significant upgrade, yes? Can anyone put to words what the tone change might be like? thanks for your input.

Noticeable difference: YES

Upgrade: Cash value, yes. To the combo,unsure. In theory Peavey may have have voiced that amp with that specific speaker in mind so you may not like what you get with the JBL. Personally, I'd advise against that and throw your money into a different amp or maybe a cheaper alternative like a Weber Cali (similar eq to a JBLD120) or Weber NeoMag(sounds and feels 98% like a JBL)

Differences: No clue. You would have to A/B test them.
strumminsix

Postby strumminsix » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:07 am

Pete B. wrote:I am using a 1976 Fender Vibrosonic, which is basically a Twin Reverb with an 8ohm output transformer and a single 15" speaker.
the original speaker is an orange basket JBL D130F.
This speaker cannot handle and Octave divider signal without frapping out.
I have an EVM-15L in there now.

Anyone having issues with the D120 JBL's and octave dividers?

Hey Pete! Have you used your Octave Div with a rig where it didn't fart out? Also what is killing it the low or the combination? I ask cuz I'm surprised both the speakers can't hack it.
strumminsix

Postby Pete B. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:29 am

strumminsix wrote: Hey Pete! Have you used your Octave Div with a rig where it didn't fart out? Also what is killing it the low or the combination? I ask cuz I'm surprised both the speakers can't hack it.

Actually, the only time I had a dissapointing issue with the D130F was when using the Octave Divider.
For clean crisp treble it is fine, although the low notes on Pedal Steel will cause it frap out, too. My Steels lowest note is a low-A, which is the A-note that is a full step below the open low-B on my 7-string guits (bottom two strings are .054 and.068).

The EVM-15L takes it all in stride and begs for more.
fwiw, I haven't had an issue with speakers rated 200W or greater. My stereo rig is 200W per side at 8ohms.
http://www.stereosteel.com/index.html
Pete B.

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:52 am

Pete B. wrote: when using the Octave Divider.

Pete, you using a MuTron Octave Divider now? or is this a reference to your Boss OC-3 (or is it a 2)?

One thing I've noticed a lot of lately is Jerry using a lot of subtle octave UP, 77-80's... unachievable with the Boss. VERY achievable with the FoxxRoxx Octron
:cool:
Last edited by tigerstrat on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Pete B. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:08 am

fwiw, The Ringer circuit on the Mutron OD adds a sublte octave up.
The most drastic usage of this pedal might be the intro of Neil Youngs Hey Hey My My, with both Ringer and Stabalizer on.
I have the OC-2, OC-3 (Love the Poly mode, and actually sounds more like Jerry tone to my ear than the OC-2 I have), and a freshly refurbished (www.lsound.com) MuTron Octave Divider.
I haven't used the Mu with the JBL-D130F yet.
One thing about the JBL... that orange coating they used has held up better than anything else from the 70's! Looks brand new.
I would like to get a Fox pedal, too.
Pete B.

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:44 am

Pete B. wrote:I have the OC-2, OC-3 (Love the Poly mode, and actually sounds more like Jerry tone to my ear than the OC-2 I have), and a freshly refurbished (www.lsound.com) MuTron Octave Divider.

+1 on the OC 3 Poly mode...I love it. Also, I agree that the OC 3 gets me the Jer octave just as well as the OC 2 which I also have. You can run an OC3 exactly like an OC2 as well.

The OC3 has a sound that I can only decribe as more Hi-Fidelity than the OC2
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Re: JBL E-120 vs. D-120 - Any Thoughts?

Postby davidl13 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:54 am

has anyone compared the sound of the K120 to the E120?

Also, with the components available today , it is my understanding that the d120 and k120 are the same speaker...because they are the same rebuild kits...
davidl13
bruce
bruce

Postby playingdead » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:29 am

The magnet structure could be different, though ... I'm sure the more knowledgeable among us will chip in.

FWIW, my E-120s have no trouble with my OC-2, even at high volume levels. I tend to roll off the sub-octave though.
playingdead

Postby Pete B. » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:12 am

I finally tried out the JBL-E120-4 that I have here for the first time yesterday.
All I can say is I immediatly thought it sounded very Jerry.
Also, the Mu Octave Divider never sounded so good.... "tight" (no mushy octave below), and in your face (like when your pick comes off the string the note is all over you). A very "Sharp" sound compared to the EV-SRO-12 that I A/B'd it with (all the fullness of the EV but with a clear sparkle on the top end that the EV doesn't reproduce as well).
I've never owned a D120 but this speaker sounds way more Jerry-ish than the D130f I have here.
Also, I haven't played much with 12" speakers in my entire life, so that may have something to do with my tonal observations.
My main observation though is that this speaker has a tone too it that sounds like the Jerry "Clean" tone that I am looking for (think Intro to CR&S or any other place where Jer just strumms an open chord , '80+/-5yrs.).
Very Cool.
Pete B.

FYI - D-K-E speaker specs

Postby davidl13 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

D-K-E-120 speakers specs.jpg
D-K-E-120 speakers specs.jpg (92.52 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
davidl13
bruce
bruce

d/k 120 info

Postby davidl13 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:17 am

from JBL/Lansing

"Originally there were different cone kits with slightly different properties that would be loaded into these frames. The D and K series frame/magnet assemblies are almost identical (Paint, logos and cone kits). So, today, if you have either a K or D 120 reconed with JBL parts there would be no sonic difference."
davidl13
bruce
bruce

Re: d/k 120 info

Postby jonarobb » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35 pm

davidl13 wrote:from JBL/Lansing

"Originally there were different cone kits with slightly different properties that would be loaded into these frames. The D and K series frame/magnet assemblies are almost identical (Paint, logos and cone kits). So, today, if you have either a K or D 120 reconed with JBL parts there would be no sonic difference."

Yes and no....

If you recone a D120-F basket or a K120 basket with a current JBL Factory kit you will essentially end up with the same speaker because only one kit is available.

If per chance you found an original D120-F kit from the 60's or 70's then, no, they would be completely different speakers with significantly different sonic and mechanical characteristics.

The D120's had 2 distinct production designs, the first being the low powered 60w. Then the 100w. Paper surround with a a paper former.

The K120's had rolled cloth surrounds with an aluminum former. The K's also have an ever so slightly bigger gap in the motor. Not enough to concern a good reconer.

K's have higher power handling obviously, a tighter bottom end response and less cone fatigue than a D just by nature of the design of the cone assembly.

A Twin Reverb with original D120-F's is one of the sweetest sounding amps I've ever played or heard. There is a natural bit of coloration in a D120 with it's original cone that you won't get with any other JBL.

Great speakers!
jonarobb

Previous

Return to Loudspeakers