Dire Wolf Is Wong here?

Postby pappypgh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:23 pm

ickyfoot -

It's an E7. No doubt about it - not a G#+...I assure you. The rest of your stuff looks pretty accurate, at a first glance, tho!

That G#+ sounds nice - but it ain't right. :roll:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

I dunno, man

Postby ickyfoot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Played along with Reckoning this morning a bunch of times, and it sounds like a pretty standard 1/2 step walk up, a la jazz. Meshed nicely when I played along.

I'll play along again tomorrow with the E7 (which does fit, just doesn't sound like that's what's being played on Reckoning).
ickyfoot
welcome
welcome

Hrm

Postby ickyfoot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:00 pm

OK, maybe you're right ;).
ickyfoot
welcome
welcome

Postby jonarobb » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:22 pm

You'll notice on most if not all of the versions that are in C, Phil, with his infinate knowlegde of passing tones, etc..., he will often play the single notes of C, G#, A in that swing structure. It's common with Phil to lay off the root and play one of the other chord tones in key spots. That the real flavor of his playing...

G# is the third of E7 so it works as a single note but not as a triad...

Weir, Garcia and Mydland(Godchaux) all play C, E7, Am....
jonarobb

Postby strumminsix » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:57 am

jonarobb wrote:You'll notice on most if not all of the versions that are in C, Phil, with his infinate knowlegde of passing tones, etc..., he will often play the single notes of C, G#, A in that swing structure. It's common with Phil to lay off the root and play one of the other chord tones in key spots. That the real flavor of his playing...

G# is the third of E7 so it works as a single note but not as a triad...

Weir, Garcia and Mydland(Godchaux) all play C, E7, Am....

same thing i hear but so much more eloquently posted :P
strumminsix

Re: Dire Wolf Is Wong here?

Postby ickyfoot » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 pm

OK, getting back to this after a real long time ;)

I guess the reasons why I think it's G#+ are because a) it sounds like there is a very clear walk up from C to Am, with the G#+ working perfectly as a passing chord, b) I don't hear the counterpuntal walkdown of (c) > (b) > (a) that would be present within each respective chord if you were to play C, E7, Am in that passage, and c) the 3 of G# (C) doesn't sound off over that chord. If it were an E7, that C should sound off as you play along. The last point is a pretty minor point, though, because E7 sounds OK, and by the reasoning of the third point, it should sound off to some extent if the band is playing G#+ there.

So, imo, either they are playing G#+ or they are leaving out a note (C in the case of G#+ or B in the case of E7), thus leaving it ambiguous (which certainly isn't beyond them ;))!

In the end, retaining the C and E notes on the G and B strings, respectively, as you move from C through G#+ to A just sounds the most like what's happening on Reckoning.

Also, like Phil, Weir is definitely prone to and quite capable of using substitutions and bizarre voicings. If Phil plays a G# as a passing tone there, it frees Weir up to play either a C *or* a B in the corresponding passing *chord* as he pleases. That kind of harmonic ambiguity is why they were able to keep so many jams so interesting.
ickyfoot
welcome
welcome

Postby DeadAheadNH » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:45 pm

You guys pick ... would the real Dire Wolf please stand up

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1970-0 ... eok.flac16

How about one with Bobby Singing!!
http://www.archive.org/details/gd69-06- ... sbeok.shnf

love this song :)
DeadAheadNH
Brent
Brent

Postby waldo041 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:59 pm

C E7 Am

case closed. :lol:

Check it at 2:00

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby ebick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:14 pm

waldo041 wrote:C E7 Am

case closed. :lol:

Check it at 2:00

peace,
waldo

Who wears short shorts....we wear short shorts.....if you dare wear short shorts, Nair for short shorts......
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby waldo041 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:16 pm

and again here at 2:37

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:59 am

I cant tell you for how long that I and we used to screw it up! now I have a simple way of remebering:

first 2 times around:
C> Bb > F (although jerry sometimes walked up to the F from the C with single notes so you wouldnt hear him actually fret the Bb, but the Bb is the structure for the rest of the band)

Next 2 times (3 and 4):
C > E7 > Amin

5th time (same as one and 2)
C> Bb > F

6th time (same as 3 and 4)
C>E7> Amin

Now this is how I remember it:

2 -2 -1-1
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:44 am

just when I thought I had it nailed down
:-)
600 lbs of Dire Wolf Wong is a scary proposition !
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:56 am

oops I should have mentioned that the structure is for sung parts only....

dont count the turnarounds in the solo.....every solo turnaround no matter how many times you go around is c>Bb>f
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Previous

Return to Dire Wolf