Widspread Panic?

Widspread Panic?

Postby revned_04 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:28 am

Just wondering if anyone her liked panic. I just started getting into them this summer, and seeing as their playing NYE in my town trying to get some great shows. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good years or shows or whatever, that would be awesome.
Peace
revned_04
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:22 am

I didn't know WP played Estimated... really?

I liked WP studio stuff pretty well in the early 90's, but over the years their live stuff became more and more like background music to me, nothing ever truly grabbed me about them. Saw them live only once, outdoors on the campus of Iowa U. in '98 and was fairly unmoved, just thought they were OK.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby weirimpressed » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:28 am

definitely check out the NYE show from this past year, the best show Ive seen from them in a while. Also, the Rothbury show was really cool too, they had Ann Marie Calhoun come out and play on the violin. Their early years are considered the"great" ones, but I think the shows with Herring on lead are a little more heated imo.
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
weirimpressed

Postby spacehead333 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 am

Ive seen the houser shows and the herring shows, in my opinion the Herring shows are the best. I was at the Rothbury show and it was insane. I would def. check that one out.
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
spacehead333

Postby warrenMFKNhaynes » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Holloween in New Orleans is a mabey. but im going to Milwaukee for the end of the Fall Tour.
warrenMFKNhaynes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby FairTheeWell » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Howdy Revned_04,

For you listening enjoyment....

www.panicstream.com

The older ('85-'92) Panic is a true treat to listen. I get a kick of JB murdering some old Dead tunes.

Check out '94 and anything '98-'01...

8)
FairTheeWell
Keith
Keith

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:53 pm

spacehead333 wrote:Ive seen the houser shows and the herring shows, in my opinion the Herring shows are the best.

A lot of folks would consider that blasphemy down south. Best watch the tongue if you find yourself below the Mason-Dixon
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Postby spacehead333 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Well i dont go south so im not worried. They both brought/bring a lot to panic, but Herring is just fresh in my opinion
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
spacehead333

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:08 pm

It's one of those cases where they guy (Houser) was certainly not Hendrix or anything, but IMO the band just has never sounded like Panic without him. His guitar voice was a huge component of their soundscape.

JB is definitely one of my favorite vocalists out there and Jojo is just a bad ass.

Disc 1 of Light Fuse Get Away is one of my all time favorite live recordings for any band.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby weirimpressed » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:35 pm

crazy, thats the evolution of a band after they lose a lead guy. I mean, does the Dead sound like the Dead without Jerry? See what I mean, it comes with the territory.

A lot of folks here in Athens, GA love Herring, and are glad he's taking over the lead spot in the band, he's forcing everyone around him to improve, leading to a new, fresh sound
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
weirimpressed

Postby warrenMFKNhaynes » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:39 pm

I think Schools is more like the "Jerry" of the band. He seems way less replaceble then Houser or George, or even Jimmy.
warrenMFKNhaynes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby warrenMFKNhaynes » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Oh and check this out

http://panicstream.com/streams/wsp/2002 ... layer.html

2 days after the death of Houser. Go to track 21. in my opinion the best job they've done of Neil Young's Don't Be Denied.

The "Pretty soon I met a friend, he played guitar, We used to sit on the steps at school, and dream of being stars, we started a band, we played all night" Line will undoubtedly give you a rush of goose bumbs when the crowd starts getting loud.

Mikey is greatly missed :cry: :smile:
warrenMFKNhaynes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Return to Estimated Prophet