Tabs?

Postby strumminsix » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:07 am

b weird wrote:I do have one question though, how come if they took away all the other songs not penned by a band member why did they leave Morning Dew?

Gee thanks, now we're gonna lose that one too.

Who the hell is Bonnie Dobson anyways?

She's from Cahnahah, eh?
strumminsix

Postby jck_strw » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:23 am

Just because the tab/lyrics don't appear under rukind.com now, doesn't mean it's gone.

Bonnie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Dobson
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby phpbb » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:04 am

A few things. The grateful dead approve of this site like they approve of MP3 sites. They made a statement long ago which can be found here: http://www.rukind.com/Statement.htm I have twice talked to people within the GD org that told me that the rules which apply to MP3's also apply to these tabs.

Other than myself and Ed, there is no other people. "they" is really "me". And, in the case of taking down the other tabs, it was my doing, and I appreciate Ed's comments supporting it. This is a Grateful Dead Fan site, there is no direct link between me and Bob or me and anybody in the dead. Please do not let the actions of this website give you a negative impression of the bandmembers. The only link between me and them is the Dead Shows and JGB shows I was able to attend.

It is not my intention to screw you guys, and although I brush them aside, its really quite rediculous that 75% of the emails I get are negative, but I appreciate the many forms of thanks you's, from Hawaiian to Italian.

The only thing I am sorry about is not having the links available to the posts regarding the decision. But I still don't think that would stop people from asking "wheres my free stuff". There is enough information within the boards to let you know exactly why I took the tabs down. I still think it was the right thing to do, and the only proof I need is how I feel about it. If I were trying to make money on this site, or attract hits to generate sales, I'd say it was a pretty stupid decision. But, thats not what I am in it for.

To me, the availabilty of these tabs reaffirms how great I think the dead is, and how its amazing, by accident or planning, that they have been able to retain so many rights to their songs, and have such a positive outlook on information exchange. These thoughts were recently affirmed by John Perry Barlow in a debate:

http://www.heraldnews.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16386399&BRD=1710&PAG=461&dept_id=99784&rfi=6

Lastly, the Grateful Dead Statement does say:

"We reserve the ability to withdraw our sanction of non-commercial digital music should circumstances arise that compromise our ability to protect and steward the integrity of our work."
phpbb

Postby Shaggy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:35 pm

I don't know the in's and out's of setting up and running a website but I can imagine what huge ammounts of time and effort it must take.

I can't see how anyone can be anything other than totaly grateful and feel lucky someone has done something that helps them so much. It would be nice for more people to be more appreciative I am sure.

Well I certainly know I am and I am sure most people who come here like me are thankful for it and appreciate the work that goes in. Thanks for such a wonderful site. 8)
Shaggy

Postby strumminsix » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks Gregg & Ed!
strumminsix

Postby ebick » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:05 am

Just some more info supporting our position.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/31366827

Thomas Dolby Blasts K-Fed

04/05/2006 3:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
Lyndsey Parker

Thomas Dolby is blinding mad, and science has nothing to do with it. The subject of his ire is, surprisingly, Britney Spears's husband.

On his official website's blog, the new waver behind such '80s hits as "She Blinded Me With Science," "Europa," and "Hyperactive" blasts Kevin Federline for allegedly sampling his most famous tune without permission. Dolby writes:

"Britney Spears? husband Kevin Federline, whom I?d never heard of until a few days ago, appears to have illegally sampled one of my compositions. On his MySpace site you can download an MP3 which uses a looped sample from Mobb Deep?s ?Get It Twisted?, which in turn copped the string line from my own song ?She Blinded Me With Science.? Now, Mobb Deep did it the right way and had his label BMG come and ask for a license. They paid me a fee and a royalty on the sales of Mobb Deep?s record. However K-Fed, as his fans affectionately refer to him, did NOT ask permission, he just went ahead and did it. He is therefore blatantly violating the copyright law. And laws aside, he owed it to me as an artist to ask if I minded that he recorded a vitriolic rap over the top of my music. It starts off ?This is for the HATERS...? and goes on to blast the media, paparrazzi and all his other critics, sparing no expletives along the way. BMG Records have also had their copyright violated, as they own the master to Mobb Deep?s record. But BMG don?t want to rock the Britney boat so they are turning a blind eye. It?s pathetic! Turns out K-Fed has no management, label or lawyer, so it?s going to be hard getting hold of him. So K-Fed, if you?re reading this, I?m asking you nicely to take the track down ASAP. Or maybe you?d prefer me to come after some of your wife?s ill-gotten gains?"

No word yet on whether Federline--who is currently promoting his soon-to-be-self-released debut album, Playing With Fire--has responded to Dolby's blog. Meanwhile, Dolby is launching his first concert tour in 15 years next week, and will have a new song he wrote with J.J. Abrams featured in the upcoming movie Mission Impossible III.
ebick

remove songs no longer

Postby docmeister » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:19 am

ebick (Ed?),
What you said made sense (you must be either a lawyer or businessman). That being the case, why don't you remove the songs listings that no longer have tab and lyrics? Thanks for presenting this material for us folks who want to score a riff or a song but don't want to spend $30 for a songbook that won't be used (too much).
docmeister
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

The Think Tank

Postby phreaker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:40 am

yeah. i was thinkin the same thing.

it's kinda getting annoying to see that steal your face logo whenever i click on a song that no longer exists on here anymore. id like to see the site cleaned up a bit.

thanks
phreaker

The Think Tank

Postby phreaker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:44 am

by the way: Mr. "K-Fed" is a big selfish asshole.

:mad:
phreaker

Postby phpbb » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:55 am

talk about annoying...

but I'll get around to at some point. If you want it done faster send me $30.00 :-)

Sorry that you find it annoying.. :?
phpbb

The Think Tank

Postby phreaker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:00 pm

hey man. its no problem.

i dont have a negative outlook on this site at all, if thats what your thinking.

this site is somewhat like heaven to a guy like me.
phreaker

Postby phpbb » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:45 pm

no worries, your suggestion is a good one, and I will get around to it. You caught me in the middle of the Wings loosing to the Edmonton Oilers...
phpbb

Postby phpbb » Sat May 06, 2006 1:58 pm

The links have been removed (but not the songs) from the Alphabetical list and most of the setlists.
phpbb

Here is a thought

Postby phoenixjmw » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:17 pm

I was thinking about this after reading about the recent uproar about youtube. Interesting and not mentioned counterpoint: At what point do artists "owe" for advertising? Sites such as this, cover bands, tape trading ect... all help to keep the buzz going. If we were all limited to just what cd's we could by in a store I think eventually older bands would lose a lot of fans new and old. I rely on these sites to learn and experience and pass on what I couldnt be there for in the 60's and 70's. Honestly, most of the Official Dead releases are sub par compared to live shows. They are what keeps my interest. In reality, you can not even buy things like live shows or tabs (exceptions being Dickspicks and some others). So it seems a a good compromise to allow cover bands and free Tabs for "our" continuing support. Also, did the Dead ever pay any royalties for all the cover tunes they performed? I think not. No one heard of that Dobson? chick if the Dead did not do the dew. And Was it not Billy K who said something about not owning music as the notes are there you just pick them out of the air? My take on the whole thing is that Bands and record companies can not keep up with modern Tech and peoples' creativity. So, they fear it!
phoenixjmw
welcome
welcome

Postby wisedyes » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:15 am

What?! Is it hockey season again ALREADY? How long are those guys off for, three weeks or so?

Anyhoo, I would like to express my boundless gratitude for this site. I have been lurking about for years, but am a recent member and poster. I can't imagine the work that goes into it, but it has always been a great help to me, and a very welcome site on the web. I deeply appreciate it, Mr. Administrator(s).

As far as the tab thing goes, there is a definite crackdown going on, just look at the situation with OLGA. Better safe than sorry, absolutely. If there is one thing the music industry has, it's money to pay their lawyers very well to make them even more money.

And hey, after all, there is something to be said for the good old fashioned art of actually figuring things out by ear, eh? Not to sound like a geezer with a "back in my day" story, but it really will make you a better player, helps develop your ear, all that sort of stuff. Can't expect these guys to do ALL the work for us, right?
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently asked questions