The Wolf

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby astroman99 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:20 am

Waldo.. thanks for the link, seems like a cool guy to me, Says he started as a ballboy, pretty cool.
astroman99

Postby strumminsix » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:23 am

waldo041 wrote:Jim Irsay is a pretty cool dude.

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5674140

peace,
waldo

Most excellent link, Waldo.

Here is my favorite quote talking about his famous guitars:
"... they all get played, not in an extreme amount,"

To me that is about perfect. Those guitars, IMO, don't belong in a museum but they don't belong in the smokey bars deteriorating over time either.
strumminsix

Postby Revv23 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:54 am

If I were smart enough to make that much money I for sure would enjoy it with something like Tiger. :) After all; money unspent is nothing but paper.
Revv23
TC
TC

Phiga Wolf

Postby Snakefinger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:19 am

I commisioned Phil of Phiga guitars to build me a Wolf replica w/ the fx loop and Single-Humbucker-Humbucker DiMarzio Super IIs and I customized it just a bit, requesting the addition of extra brass in the neck to complement the brass nut and bridge (doesn't do wonders for the already considerable weight of the axe but also really helps it resonate like a bell), 2 x 3-position toggle switches for the humbuckers (Series, Parallel, Single), exquisitely done herring-bone style marquetry binding the neck on both sides...and how does it play and sound?

Like a dream...period.

The neck feels like it was made for my hands - and, it was (!) Phil worked with me on every aspect of neck design...from the shape (I requested a rounded soft-V) to the frets (Medium-Jumbo) to the action (High - the only way to get that pristine note separation) to the radius (14 - flat as an aircraft carrier's deck, but not ridiculously so like a banjo) You see, if you're a collector, then go get hung-up on 'accuracy' and don't waste a real luthier's time, but if you're a true player with a clear and focused concept of touch, technique, and tone then you can't wrong with anything this guy builds for you - provided you remain an active constituent of that process.

Sure, the frets need a bit of dressing down, and the truss rod needs adjusting and the circuitry I am going to mod a bit to get it just where I want it, but people - need I remind you that J. Garcia designed his own f/x loop and was an extremely active part of his equipment's development?!?

We each have different personalities and dispositions as players and the dressing of frets or fine-tuning of circuitry is part and parcel of that labor of love.

With all that said let me add that though I told Phil that cost was not an issue and that he should feel free to take every liberty regarding the aesthetics and tonality of the instrument, he pleasantly surprised me by charging me a literal FRACTION of what anyone else out there is charging - and for some of the very finest luthier work I have ever seen in 23 solid years of playing. In addition, he is a very thoughtful and attentive person - responding to all my inane emails with characteristic friendliness and reassurance.

Look, I don't really feel it appropriate for all levels of players to be handling to what amounts as a Master's instrument - nor yet would I supplicate those with the same dream as mine to defer it...so, if you absolutely must have a replica (and can play it!) then do yourself a favor and check him out. I have 12 vintage guitars (including a '69 SG and a '57 Strat) that have just been collecting dust ever since I received my Wolf three months ago...if that's not testimony enough, I don't know what is.

Happy picking!

-S
Snakefinger
welcome
welcome

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:23 am

Post some pics my man !
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

I'll post pics of The Wolf..

Postby Snakefinger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 am

..as soon as I figure out how.

<grin>

They're all stored in my Yahoo mailbox and any tips on problem-free posting on this site would be greatly appreciated (I'm definitely more guitar than computer savvy here).

-S
Snakefinger
welcome
welcome

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

Good luck - I've never had any luck. :D
You have to post the pics somewhere else 1st and then post here.How ?Got me.
I would love to check out some pics and sound clips if you figure it out though.
Phil's guitars are beautiful ...
Glad you like yours !
:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Snakefinger,

I have a Tiger-esque custom Strat that goes from neck to bridge: single - hum - hum. I have coil taps on the humbuckers and am intrigued by your three way toggle switches, can you explain the difference in running the humbuckers in series or parallel? Does this give you more tonal options, etc?
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Re: I'll post pics of The Wolf..

Postby strumminsix » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Snakefinger wrote:..as soon as I figure out how.

<grin>

They're all stored in my Yahoo mailbox and any tips on problem-free posting on this site would be greatly appreciated (I'm definitely more guitar than computer savvy here).

-S

1. Save them from your email to your computer
2. Upload them to a picture site like photobucket
3. Link them using the IMG tags above
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:18 pm

1. Save them from your email to your computer
2. Upload them to a picture site like photobucket
3. Link them using the IMG tags above

Cool - I gotta try this again ...
Thank you !
Tennessee Jedi

Postby waldo041 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVyBxbhgtm4&feature=related

instead of copying the HTML code for things like myspace as shown. just copy the [IMG] code, which is directly beneath the HTML code, and paste that code and the image should appear here.

note: your pics must be on the your harddrive to upload it.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Alembic

Postby Scott Bardolf » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Astroman,
Does your Alembic have same p/u configuration as the one on ebay right now?
Scott Bardolf
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby paulinnc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Just picked up some Purple Heart and Flamed maple today, also go a body template in the mail today.
paulinnc

Re: Phiga Wolf

Postby Jon S. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:54 am

Snakefinger wrote:I commisioned Phil of Phiga guitars to build me a Wolf replica ...

A joke, of course, but seriously, we'd all love to see the new axe. :)
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:58 am

paulinnc wrote:Just picked up some Purple Heart and Flamed maple today, also go a body template in the mail today.

I got mine yesterday, too. I'm elbow deep into my second Tiger at the moment but when that sucker's done ... Image !
Jon S.

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion