Is the chording to the CC > IKYR posted anywhere?

Postby Emoto » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:17 am

tigerstrat wrote:
Emoto wrote:I meant when singing the China Cat verses. Going up and down from G to F and back is fine for the first line, but it seems to want a D at the end of the second one. That is just my own ear, though.

For example in this verse, I'll put in the chords as my bad ears would like them to be:

G..................................F
Look for a while at the china cat sunflower,
G....................................D7
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
G................................F
Copperdome bodhi drip a silver kimono,
.......G..............................F...........
Like a crazy quilt stargown through a dream night
G
wind


Now that's interesting. Because, while the rest of the time I am playing the Jerry verse lead riff (and singing), the places where you inserted the D7 are exactly the only places where I actually drop in the F chord (or any chords for that matter), right at the end of every 2nd line.


I will try to work up to playing the riff and singing at the same time.

Note that I am not saying D7 on every other line, I am thinking D7 only in that one place out of 4 lines. In other words, only on the second.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
User avatar
Emoto
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 am
Location: SE Mass

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:54 am

i see no D7 here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQY1ZXznyZQ&feature=related[/youtube]

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Postby jonarobb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:19 pm

I've never heard a D7 there in China Cat Sunflower. Jerry most always play a very audible F there at the tail of that vocal line.

But the jam leading into Rider both Weir, Garcia and Lesh are drawing on Riffs and Lead lines born out of G Major, or the fifth of G Major which is D, however you look at it.

So yes, the D7 is heavily implied there as they all snake around the G Major scale weaving in and out of those notes (D, F#, C). Particularly Weir who uses that tritone(F#, C) extensively for alot of his riffs. If you play around with just those 2 notes as a di-ad you can start to hear where all the Weir-isms are born.
jonarobb
 

Postby Emoto » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 pm

waldo041 wrote:i see no D7 here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQY1ZXznyZQ&feature=related[/youtube]

peace,
waldo


Hmmm. What is Jerry's left hand doing right around 1:07 1:08?
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
User avatar
Emoto
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 am
Location: SE Mass

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Yeah like I said I stay off the F chord - :lol:
Jerry likes it.
Right where you want to put the d7 chord Jerry does a lick that reminds me of the intro lick ,a little mutated ,that leads into the next vocal line.
:smile:
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Postby jonarobb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:13 pm

Emoto wrote:
waldo041 wrote:i see no D7 here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQY1ZXznyZQ&feature=related[/youtube]

peace,
waldo


Hmmm. What is Jerry's left hand doing right around 1:07 1:08?


He's using the A string to ladder back up with the C>D>F riff. Why? What do you see/hear?
jonarobb
 

Postby Emoto » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:23 pm

jonarobb wrote:
Emoto wrote:
waldo041 wrote:i see no D7 here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQY1ZXznyZQ&feature=related[/youtube]

peace,
waldo


Hmmm. What is Jerry's left hand doing right around 1:07 1:08?


He's using the A string to ladder back up with the C>D>F riff. Why? What do you see/hear?


I was kind of thinking the low end of a D7 in the 3rd position, then the single notes, but I could be wrong.

ETA: I just watched it full screen and now maybe not.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
User avatar
Emoto
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 am
Location: SE Mass

Postby jonarobb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:29 pm

Emoto wrote:
jonarobb wrote:
Emoto wrote:
waldo041 wrote:i see no D7 here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQY1ZXznyZQ&feature=related[/youtube]

peace,
waldo


Hmmm. What is Jerry's left hand doing right around 1:07 1:08?


He's using the A string to ladder back up with the C>D>F riff. Why? What do you see/hear?


I was kind of thinking the low end of a D7 in the 3rd position, then the single notes, but I could be wrong.

ETA: I just watched it full screen and now maybe not.


That's a great video. It's interesting to watch this and then watch the Family Dog video from 2/4/70. It's like 2 different songs altogether.
jonarobb
 

Postby old man down » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:07 pm

Emoto, there is a little truth to your argument.

Consider the F and D, and D7 chords:

F Major

e|-x-|---|---|
B|-x-|---|---|
G|---|-x-|---|
D|---|---|-x-|
A|---|---|-x-|
E|-x-|---|---|


D Major

e|---|-x-|---|---|---|
B|---|---|-x-|---|---|
G|---|-x-|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|-x-|---|
A|---|---|---|---|-x-|
E|---|---|---|---|-x-|



D7

e|---|-x-|---|---|---|
B|-x-|---|---|---|---|
G|---|-x-|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|-x-|---|
A|---|---|-x-|---|---|
E|---|---|---|---|-x-|


D7 therefore has some of the same notes as the F chord:

e|---|---|---|
B|-x-|---|---|
G|---|-x-|---|
D|---|---|---|
A|---|---|-x-|
E|---|---|---|

Three strings out of six and I'd say you're halfway right.

It is common practice to just pick off one note from a chord to lean the chord toward a particular bias, in this case maybe toward a D7 sound. :smile:
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:39 am

Postby Emoto » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:42 pm

old man down wrote:Emoto, there is a little truth to your argument.

Consider the F and D, and D7 chords:

F Major

e|-x-|---|---|
B|-x-|---|---|
G|---|-x-|---|
D|---|---|-x-|
A|---|---|-x-|
E|-x-|---|---|


D Major

e|---|-x-|---|---|---|
B|---|---|-x-|---|---|
G|---|-x-|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|-x-|---|
A|---|---|---|---|-x-|
E|---|---|---|---|-x-|



D7

e|---|-x-|---|---|---|
B|-x-|---|---|---|---|
G|---|-x-|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|-x-|---|
A|---|---|-x-|---|---|
E|---|---|---|---|-x-|


D7 therefore has some of the same notes as the F chord:

e|---|---|---|
B|-x-|---|---|
G|---|-x-|---|
D|---|---|---|
A|---|---|-x-|
E|---|---|---|

Three strings out of six and I'd say you're halfway right.

It is common practice to just pick off one note from a chord to lean the chord toward a particular bias, in this case maybe toward a D7 sound. :smile:


Thanks for taking the time to post all of that!

The D7 that I was thinking of here is this one. The high and low E strings are not played.

D7

e|---|---|---|---|---|
B|---|---|--x|---|---|
G|---|---|---|---|--x|
D|---|---|---|-x-|---|
A|---|---|---|---|--x|
E|---|---|---|---|---|
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
User avatar
Emoto
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 am
Location: SE Mass

Previous

Return to China Cat Sunflower

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests