Me thinks these lyrics are wrong

Postby CaptainTrips » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 am

tigerstrat wrote:Sweet Suzy was only within the first few months it was played. As to why it was dropped... who knows, but if you try singing it several times that way I'll bet you'll wanna drop it too.

Exactly, its extremely tough to make that vocal transition.
CaptainTrips

Postby strumminsix » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:17 am

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:What about "put your gold money where your _____ is baby" ??

I always sing "love" in that spot. Heard others say luck too though.

Kinda figured this was an extension of the line "all that i am asking for is 10 gold dollars" whom I assume is from a lady "sweet suzy" and it follows with "before you let me deal go down" being out of the hand/game. Therefore would "love" would be the appropriate word.
strumminsix

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:37 am

Kinda figured this was an extension of the line "all that i am asking for is 10 gold dollars" whom I assume is from a lady "sweet suzy" and it follows with "before you let me deal go down" being out of the hand/game. Therefore would "love" would be the appropriate word.

In that sense luck would be more appropriate; however, if you look at it as "sweet suzy" being his woman, he would be asking for trust in him, for her to show him some love.
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Postby pappypgh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:47 am

I always heard / sang "love" there. "Luck" just doesn't flow for me, lyrically (for me, at least, to sing). I sing it more like "luh---viz, baby" rather than "love - is - baby", so "luh---kiz, baby" just doesn't work for ME.

Storywise, luck works better than love, IMO. But I'm taking my liberties and going home. :cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby IamDocWatson » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 pm

moaning low is a common phrase in folk and bluegrass music and probably used more commonly in areas associated with that kind of music...its good for everyone to expand outside of the grateful deads catalog, u will learn more than you can imagine.
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby jonarobb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:56 pm

Here's a "....sweet Suzy" from 1979:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1979-0 ... 35023.shnf
jonarobb

Postby pappypgh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:04 pm

I thought the version on Dead Set also was a Sweet Suzy....just from my foggy memory... :-?
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:41 pm

Another line in this song..

"everybody's _____ and drinkling that wine."

It is bragging, but often I hear praying
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Postby pappypgh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:06 pm

It's most definitely "bragging"
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

uh

Postby GRis » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:09 pm

i suggested 'all alone' is correct because i could have sworn i heard/saw Jer sing it that way

but 'holding low' makes sense in a card game context (as does luck)

i will see if i can get a mutual friend to ask Bobby... :-)
GRis
rukind?
rukind?

Postby krzykat » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:18 pm

According to Box of Rain which is Hunters own collection it is moaning low.
as for hearing it differently or seeing it differently we all know Jerry flubbed lyrics every once in a while

and it is everybodys bragging and drinking that wine
krzykat

Re: Me thinks these lyrics are wrong

Postby zambiland » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 am

and it is everybodys bragging and drinking that wine

Can anyone point to a version where it sounds more like "prayin'"? I brought this up with the guy who sings this in my band and he's adamant about prayin', but I've never heard a version that sounds like that.

Edwin
zambiland

Re:

Postby erock » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:46 am

pappypgh wrote:I always thought it was "holding low", since he's playing cards. :roll:

I always thought that same thing as well
erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:55 am

Jerry has sang "prayin" Ill have to search one out but the correct lyric is "braggin" I have also heard Playin in the Band where its sounds like they sing "prayin". The "sweet Suzie" part is there too but only on early versions and possibly some of the acoustic later versions.
jdsmodulus

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:17 am

jdsmodulus wrote:Jerry has sang "prayin" Ill have to search one out but the correct lyric is "braggin" I have also heard Playin in the Band where its sounds like they sing "prayin". The "sweet Suzie" part is there too but only on early versions and possibly some of the acoustic later versions.

And wasn't there a "Playing in the BARN", once? Nothing wrong with being a little creative, occasionally!

:smile:
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

PreviousNext

Return to Loser