lazylightnin>supplication

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 pm

In place of the Gm9 I'll take a BbM7, as long as the bass and/or keyboard play G there. :smile:

And I'll stick with 1,2,3and's for the bridge Em & C. The 3-4 works OK but not as gracefully imo. But I'm relieved for awhile there, I had read these posts as saying 4-3, which is FUBAR.

And how about the little chromatic lick Jerry plays over the end of the first line in each verse- is that priceless or what??
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Postby pappypgh » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:46 am

tigerstrat wrote:And I'll stick with 1,2,3and's for the bridge Em & C. The 3-4 works OK but not as gracefully imo.


TS - it IS 3-4. That's as graceful as it gets. It's what Weir, Phil & Keith all play. Jerry fanning over it may be what is causing your confusion. Grab a different version (or a couple of 'em, that's what I did...it will help). The count is 100% 3-4. There's no halves about it.
You may have one where they just fucked it up (it DID happen ever now & again!! ;) ) Anyhooo - just check it out. You'll see Pete was correct.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
User avatar
pappypgh
Senior Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Pete B. » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:33 am

What is the cord played at the end of this line?

But you really get me hi-iiigh. ???
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Postby strumminsix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:40 am

Pete B. wrote:What is the cord played at the end of this line?

But you really get me hi-iiigh. ???

D7 to Am then D7 to Fmaj7



Still waiting on "keep on trying but I"...
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6653
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Postby pappypgh » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:36 am

I just play a D7....I think that D - Am - D - Fmaj7 may work, but you'll notice no one is playing chords behind that (Supplication riff). It's Phil with the drummers. You just hang on a D7, then the lead player comes in noodling in D.

The "I keep on trying but I..." seems like it starts on an Em7 the first half, then goes to G the 2nd half.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
User avatar
pappypgh
Senior Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Pete B. » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:08 pm

O.K here's what I've got going so far on this one...

The intro, etc, is based on listing from this Live version:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-1 ... eok.flac16

These are just some of my current thoughts on the tune. I'll try to get an up-to-speed version posted later.
~pb

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbEJWfrEv2k[/youtube]
Last edited by Pete B. on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Postby jonarobb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Pete,

If you listen to the 76' rehearsals on LMA you can clearly hear Jerry do the intro line with a simple Cmaj7 arpeggio and G arpeggio. He starts the line on the low E string, 7th fret (C), he grabs the G major arpeggio from the A string 10th fret. That D hang note that you're playing at the 10th fret, high E string with your pinky before resolving to the Fmaj7, that wouldn't be correct for the 76-77 versions. Jerry does end up on a D but it's the G string, 7th fret after fleshing out a piano style G major arpeggio noted above....
jonarobb
 

Postby Pete B. » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:26 pm

I made a version specific edit to the yt above (I just assumed eveybody knew the "normal" way to play it 8) ).

I know, the Boys play it alot of different ways on the many versions i've listened to.
I have at least 3 ways to play the intro worked up.
There are a lot of cool licks and chordal jams in this one.
I'm in the process of playing along with a drum track set to 7/4 (using a digitech jamMan).
Repatition training, if you will (for vocal, too).
As they say...
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time!
:cool:
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Postby jonarobb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Pete B. wrote:I made a version specific edit to the yt above (I just assumed eveybody knew the "normal" way to play it 8) ).

I know, the Boys play it alot of different ways on the many versions i've listened to.
I have at least 3 ways to play the intro worked up.
There are a lot of cool licks and chordal jams in this one.
I'm in the process of playing along with a drum track set to 7/4 (using a digitech jamMan).
Repatition training, if you will (for vocal, too).
As they say...
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time!
:cool:


Very cool. I'm guilty of loving the earlier versions. That is a great recording though. Garcia is so upfront in the mix!
jonarobb
 

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:59 am

Cool vid Pete B. !
:D
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:29 am

Great vid, Pete!
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6653
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Postby pappypgh » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:54 am

All I can say is thank GOODNESS for Bob Weir for writing such a kick-ass tune that is causing us such agony!!! I LOVE IT!

I wish someone KNEW Weir and could get him to get in on this thread!!! HAHA!!!
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
User avatar
pappypgh
Senior Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:31 pm

pappypgh wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:And I'll stick with 1,2,3and's for the bridge Em & C. The 3-4 works OK but not as gracefully imo.


TS - it IS 3-4. That's as graceful as it gets. It's what Weir, Phil & Keith all play. Jerry fanning over it may be what is causing your confusion. Grab a different version (or a couple of 'em, that's what I did...it will help). The count is 100% 3-4. There's no halves about it.
You may have one where they just fucked it up (it DID happen ever now & again!! ;) ) Anyhooo - just check it out. You'll see Pete was correct.


I guess you guys are right about that count. It's often easier to play instinctively through a rhythm than to count it out accurately, especially a syncopated one in an odd siggy. I think you are probably right about my focus on Garcia's non-chordal part smearing my perception a little bit; however he wasn't so much fanning through the change in my referenced version (2/26/81, not F'd-up by any stretch), but arpeggiating through it.

Gm9 :cool:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Postby pappypgh » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:04 pm

tigerstrat wrote:I think you are probably right about my focus on Garcia's non-chordal part smearing my perception a little bit; however he wasn't so much fanning through the change in my referenced version (2/26/81, not F'd-up by any stretch), but arpeggiating through it.



One man's fanning is another man's arpeggiating! :lol:

BTW - There is NO Lazy Lightning on 2/26/81! What are you talkin' about?! I have a GREAT copy of that show...Chicago, Uptown Theater. Good Althea! Good Truckin'! No Lazy Lightning. :-?
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
User avatar
pappypgh
Senior Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Small world Pappy - I was just thinking "What Good shit can I send to Pappy ?".
How bout Uptown Theater run - 2/26/81,2/28/81,2/29/81.
There is no L Lightening either.

:smile:
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

PreviousNext

Return to Lazy Lightning

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests