Doug Irwin Guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby Thomas Lieber » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:39 pm

OK here is our D.Irwin symetrical "Garcia". Birdseye Maple top and back, Walnut neck and core with a center strip of Vermillon. This is one of several models created before Jerry's guitar was compeleted

Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:28 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!
playingdead

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Too cool!

Here's a couple of pics of the back of "Phil's bass" while it was in the possession of DSO a few years ago (that's John K holding it).... notice no lizard inlay as Phil mentioned in his autobiography... Thomas would you know if the bass Phil received had a inlay on the back? Obviously this is an Irwin bass pictured but perhaps a chance its not the one Phil played in the GD?

"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby pappypgh » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:25 pm

Mr. Lieber - these pics you are putting up are just incredible! Thank you again....

Out of curiosity, are you still building? I just had a custom built for me ( www.customguitars.com/natural_wonder.html ), so I'm not in the market - I'm just curious, as it seems you still have the passion flowing.

Thanks again for EVERYTHING you've given us!

Pappy
www.theCAUSEjams.com
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby willmusic » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:09 pm

pappypgh wrote:Mr. Lieber - these pics you are putting up are just incredible! Thank you again....

Out of curiosity, are you still building? I just had a custom built for me ( www.customguitars.com/natural_wonder.html ), so I'm not in the market - I'm just curious, as it seems you still have the passion flowing.

Thanks again for EVERYTHING you've given us!

Pappy
www.theCAUSEjams.com

Yes sir, he does. Check em out.
http://www.lieberguitars.com/
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby pappypgh » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:20 pm

NICE! COOL STUFF, Mr. Lieber! I like your designs. Very interesting.

THANKS!
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby timothydarcangelo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:21 am

Nice looking axes but, I prefer a Languedoc in appearance and style. Any thoughts on his custom masterpieces?

http://www.languedocguitars.com
timothydarcangelo
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby pappypgh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:48 am

Paul Languedoc guitars sure are nice...but I, personally, prefer a solid body guitar.

Most Languedocs are the same shape, as well....they tend to have some beautiful wood & color, etc...but they don't vary too much in shape from what I've seen.

My custom was built by SB MacDonald ( www.customguitars.com ). He uses some pretty cool design techniques and branches out into resonators, etc... The coolest thing for me was that mine (he called it 'The Natural Wonder') was completely different than anything he'd ever made, according to him.

The world of custom guitars is SO fascinating to me.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

Postby willmusic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:42 am

A friend of mine plays a Languedoc as well. It's cool, but not my cup o tea either. Different strokes, eh?
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:35 am

timothydarcangelo wrote:Nice looking axes but, I prefer a Languedoc in appearance and style. Any thoughts on his custom masterpieces?

Why not start a Languedoc thread and leave this one to its topic?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby willmusic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:13 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
timothydarcangelo wrote:Nice looking axes but, I prefer a Languedoc in appearance and style. Any thoughts on his custom masterpieces?

Why not start a Languedoc thread and leave this one to its topic?

Good point....soooooo...let's see....oh yeah! So what ever became of the symmetrical Garcia and others that didn't end up with Jerry? I guess I like imagining all the different possibilities, but it would be awesome to know what happened to some of them.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby hesgone95 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:35 pm

I like imagining that they ended up with me...But I was actually wondering the same thing...Where did they go....?
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:18 am

Well a few of them ended up getting auctioned here:

http://www.relix.com/Features/Daily_New ... 92290.html

I wonder what the "Eagle" guitar was humm...Too bad that was before I won the Powerball. And another thing,when the hell did Relix become a legitimate publication?? I remember reading articles about how to find your car after a show and top 10 ways to find an undercover cop. Oh well.

p.s.
I'd also like to say thanks to Mr. L for sharing these great stories and cool photos..I love the one's of the "Mission Control" Bass, Thanks Man!
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:28 am

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby willmusic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:58 am

Most of us know what happened to the ones Jerry played/owned, but what about the ones we DON'T know about? How many others were built and never seen?
willmusic
wolf
wolf

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion