Doug Irwin Guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Doug Irwin Guitars

Postby jenkins » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:10 am

Does doug irwin sitll make gutiars? I dint think he did but recently ive seen a few interview which make me think otherwise.

He talks about his mark of the luthier he used on wolf and he say that he still uses it to this day.

An interview with mountain girl a couple years ago she says that he still makes guitars.

so whats up?
Are there people in northern californio who can still get Irwin guitars?

Have u guys ever heard of anyone besides garcia and lesh playing an irwin guitar?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby Dozin » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:29 am

Last edited by Dozin on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby mutant_dan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 am

Prior to being awarded Jerry's guitars and auctioning them off, he was hit by a car while riding a bike. He was pretty messed up and had no health insurance. He ended up living with his mother in Riverside, CA. About 90 miles east of L.A.

He often spoke of starting up guitar building again once the matter of Jerry's guitars were settled.

Since he was awarded the guitars and auctioned them off I haven't heard from him nor been able to find him.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby playingdead » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:08 pm

A friend of a friend laid down a $9000 deposit on a guitar ... well over a decade ago. He's still waiting.

I asked Dennis McNally for his contact info back in the mid 90s ... he warned me off.

Definitely better ways to spend your money where you will actually wind up with a guitar.
playingdead

Postby jenkins » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:42 am

damn, 9 g's a decade ago??!!! that sucks

I wasn't thinking about trying to get an Irwin, i was just wondering after reading those quotes.

Im savign my $ for an alembic.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby hotasaPistol » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:55 am

My cousin is/was his lawyer for the guitar ordeal.
After settling Doug Irwin bought a house in a small central California town. The house burned about 2 years ago. He is not right in the head. He has a lot of demons and is either the nicest guy in the world or the complete opposite and you never know which.
As far as I know my cousin hasn't had contact with him for a couple of years
Too bad...lot of wasted talent :-?
hotasaPistol
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby deadguise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Alembic's Further and Tribute are based on Irwin's design. Irwin was working for Alembic when he built Wolf, -using the shop's equipment and training. Alembic changed the shape of the "horn" on both guitars so there wouldn't be any legal claims. They also install their own design of electronics (active pickups and unity gain buffer).
deadguise

grettings

Postby Thomas Lieber » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:33 am

I would like to respond to this discussion. Doug and I designed and built what everyone refers to as the Tiger. This instrument was designed with the sole intent of creatiing our generations Les Paul, henese it was originally called "The Garcia" not the tiger.
I have been in touch in recent years with Doug and I would like everyone to be kind and not meline this individaul. He was in a very bad accident as the previous person discribed. And is different from his younger days, he can cause his own problems as we all do, but remember that he was once a great builder of guitars and deserves your respect.
I can also tell you that during those early years Jerry would often bring by our shop many guitars he would purchase while on the road. Some of them were really very bad and not even playable due to misaligned frets etc.... But inspite of these facts, Jerry could always make them sound like only Jerry could.
The music is in you, not your guitars folks,
be well,
Thomas Lieber
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:47 am

Mr. Lieber.

thanks for joining the discussion. hope you could join in on any of these discussion a little more frequently, if possible. PM if you have a chance.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby acidrain30005 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:30 am

Mr. Lieber,

I have just one question, and I mean no disrespect by this but if you helped design and build Tiger why didn't you get any credit?
"Carl! Go take your bath!"- Jack
acidrain30005
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby willmusic » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:10 pm

acidrain30005 wrote:Mr. Lieber,

I have just one question, and I mean no disrespect by this but if you helped design and build Tiger why didn't you get any credit?

He did and still does.

http://www.lieberguitars.com/opener.htm
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby acidrain30005 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Oh alright thanks.
"Carl! Go take your bath!"- Jack
acidrain30005
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Thomas Lieber » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:21 am

Great question!I have had no ego need to base my design and building career upon past designs. The Garcia was my very first guitar design created in collaboration with Doug. Together we designed a line of models during the years 74 thru 77. There was: The Pendulous, The Firedrake and The Garcia ( symmetrical and Asymmetrical versions) Actually we had built a few asymmetrical Garcia’s, one bass with an arched purple heart top which went to Phil before Jerry had gotten his “Garcia” and Jerry was a little ticked off. Jerry’s guitar still wasn’t completed until long after I had left D.Irwin Guitars to apprentice with Steve Klein on acoustic design. That summer (77) Steve and I created the first Spider Grinder acoustic bass with a Kasha flying brace system.

Anyway if you examine as to what happened design wise after I had left D.Irwin guitars, you will clearly notice that the progression of guitar design stopped. Lieber guitars continued to create new innovative designs through the last 30 years or so. I have been to busy to rest my laurels upon a single design, regardless of its notoriety.
Now if that still doesn’t answer to anyone’s satisfaction, I might suggest you give a call to Rick Turner ( Alembic founder) and ask him who designed “The Garcia” because he use to ribbed me big time over that design calling it the “thumbs horn guitar”

If someone could help me with uploading pics here, I could share a few artifacts with you guys.

Be well,

Thomas Lieber
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:34 am

Thomas Lieber wrote:If someone could help me with uploading pics here, I could share a few artifacts with you guys.

Thomas,

open up a photobucket account and they will walk you thru the upload process. then either post here as an image or drop the address.

http://photobucket.com/

if you post as an image here. you will need to start and end the address with these
[img]your%20address%20for%20the%20picture,%20then....[/img]

there are buttons on top of the compose screen that will insert them if you need to. that said, once uploaded to photobucket, they will have everything like that copy and pastable for you.

best of luck and hope to see some of it soon.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Thomas Lieber » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:54 pm

here is something few have ever seen
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion