New Amp

Postby Chuckles » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:38 pm

I've got the TubeWorks TD-752, and love it. I run it strictly through the "tube" channel, which takes the signal through the Butler-designed preamp (same guy that did the GT Trio) with a 12ax7 and then through a SS power amp. All in a little 100W 1x12 combo. It's got a great spring reverb, to boot. I've wanted to throw an e120 in it, but haven't done so as yet, because I've been pretty happy with what I've gotten out of it stock... which has been for 20 years now. It's consistently sounded better than anyone I've been playing with's Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe/DeVille.

You can pick one up cheap on eBay... don't know why they haven't been more popular. But it's been the perfect prectice/small room standalone/bigger room with a mic amp for me. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from you; I'm looking for a more beefy rig like a F-2B or Trio through a more powerful SS amp to drive one or two e120s as we start to play larger rooms... just so I can hear myself in the stage mix... but that'll come together...

Anyway, just my $0.03, as always adjusted for inflation.
:smile:
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby frankielee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:33 pm

Also have a Fender deluxe reverb.Freakin' love it! Does everything I need it to do.Paid 800 new. Worth every penny imo.
"Don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road."
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:59 am

Very often I see Boogie "Mark" II and III combos going for cheaper than any of the amp prices mentioned here... so what's this about them being overpriced? Sure, the "mint" ones and the coveted IIC++ whatever are pricier... or you could get an empty Mesa combo cabinet and drop in your chassis and speaker.

Hell, my 1985 Mk III "no-stripe" 60watt* (2x6L6, Reverb, GEQ) is in probably "fair" to "good" condition and needs power tubes and one or two pots replaced ... make me an offer!

* note to strummin, most Marks are rated at 60w when running 2x 6L6's

I would also backup the suggestion of buying a Rivera-era early 80's Fender Concert (or Super 60)... these are some of the last fully point-to-point tube amps that Fender ever produced.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby pappypgh » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:23 am

High Peaks wrote:My main question should have been:
Does anyone use a smaller combo (1 x 12) and feel reasonably confident it can pull off some Garcia tones in a small to medium sized room.

Yeah, man - stick w/ the Deluxe Reverb. It's PERFECT for small-to-medium sized rooms and, I'm assuming you're mic'ing the amp. IMO that's the best way to go. I do it and (when the board mix is good on recordings) it sounds terrific on playback. Those PCXV videos we have online are only 2-channel out mixes - meaning that's how our man mixed for the ROOM...typically, he re-mixes the full 16 or so tracks we use, post-gig. We'll have some goodies up soon to check out w/ better audio.

:cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby wisedyes » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 pm

I just want to put in a plug for the Traynor Custom Valve 40 - YCV40 1x12. These are great 1x12 combos well worth looking into, and priced much lower than Fenders.
Just sayin', is all.......
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Pete B. » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 pm

I checked out this amp recently using a G&L strat, and thought it sounded very good.
I was using some Jerry licks to test fire this amp, like intro to Loser, CR&S, Black T Wind, the whip lick on Help/Slip, etc.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... te&so=desc
Pete B.

Postby golfnutt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:13 pm

I just want to put in a plug for the Traynor Custom Valve 40 - YCV40 1x12. These are great 1x12 combos well worth looking into, and priced much lower than Fenders.

+1 on the Traynor I have the YCV20 and love it! and I have heard the 40 sounds a little better
golfnutt
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:08 am

golfnutt wrote:

+1 on the Traynor I have the YCV20 and love it! and I have heard the 40 sounds a little better

another +1 for Traynor; I played with an excellent "Bobbist" who really rocked the YCV40; and then could turn around and do funk-jazz shredding.

I wouldn't invest in a stage amp that was less than 40w... especially if you are using an envelope and/or octave-down effect.

Pete, where are the specs for that Kustom kombo? I looked around that page for minutes and could find no hard info whatsoever aside from the reviews.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby pappypgh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 am

tigerstrat wrote:
I wouldn't invest in a stage amp that was less than 40w... especially if you are using an envelope and/or octave-down effect.

Well, TS - I'm using one at a HUGE venue this Sunday. I'll let you know how it turns out. I have a feeling it'll be just fine, me & my little 22w. :cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:59 pm

tigerstrat wrote:I wouldn't invest in a stage amp that was less than 40w... especially if you are using an envelope and/or octave-down effect.

agreed, once everyone pushes there own amps, you may not have the power to hang or the amp get too saturated. a big reason i went with the 6L6's in my Deluxe reverb clone i built myself from weber. i get my dirt from my effects and went with the 6l6's for more headroom and power. i also had to eliminate the tube rectifier and went with a solid state i built and essentially made half a twin reverb in a deluxe reverb size. perfect for the gigging musician. and enough clean power for outside or larger venues.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby pappypgh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 pm

FYI, I had a Blues DeVille (1993 reissue), 4x10 60w. Didn't have the balls this 22w has, IMO. But again - the proof will be in the pudding on Sunday. I'm playing an outdoor gig in front of about 700-1000 people. We shall see. My guess is it will be just great.

I'll say it again...I saw Barry Sless play with DNB in front of about 3000 people and he was using this 1x12 Fender (smaller than a Deluxe Reverb, maybe a Frontman or a Champ, even?!). Sounded KILLER. He's Barry freakin' Sless, don't forget...not some chump like me!!! If you have a great system and a good soundman, you will not have to worry about getting "lost in the mix". Period. You fellas are incorrect.

I'm not saying I absolutely WON'T get lost in the mix, but if I DO, it will absolutely not be due to the amp I'm using. It will be due to a lack of good soundman (which I don't think I'll have to worry about, thank goodness!!).

Basically, I think about it THIS way....

If you are using a Marshall stack (just for example) - let's even say you are using 4 in a series, a la Alex Leifson (or someone with a complex, who feels they need all that behind him). You're saying that in front of a BIG crowd at a BIG stadium, my little 22w will get completely overpowered, no matter what?! If you turn the sound completely out of the mix of the Marshall stacks and crank my 22w up to 8 on the faders, you'll only hear MY guitar, right? In a BIG place, it's not all about your stage VOLUME, it's about getting the right TONE and letting the SYSTEM get your volume. Maybe I'm crazy - if I am, please tell me why! 'Cause that's how I've always viewed it and that's how it's always worked for me. :D
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:05 pm

FTR - my advice assumed not being mic'd
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:18 pm

pappypgh wrote:If you are using a Marshall stack (just for example) - let's even say you are using 4 in a series, a la Alex Leifson (or someone with a complex, who feels they need all that behind him).

I don't see anyone here as being correct or incorrect- these are all just opinions or a-holes... or opinianuses...

But as a side-note, most rock stars you see with multiple stacks behind them are seldom using more than one stack or two half stacks at any time. The rest are there as backup and/or "stage presence".
tigerstrat

Postby pappypgh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Opinianuses....I think I love that word.

I hear ya about the stacks, but you get my point.

My only beef is that the argument against the Fender DR is that there's not enough "headroom" for the bigger clubs. You're not playing a big club unmic'd. If you are, that's just plain silly, IMO. Why fight, when you can just be? Cranking any amp up to 9 or 10 (or 11...I know SOMEONE would say it, if I didn't) is plain silly these days. The only amp I ever heard that sounds best at 10 is the Marshall JCM2000 (?). I think that's the model. It really does have it's best tone at the top. Stupid design, IMO. 3-6 should be the wheelhouse of any amp for its tone. If you're playing a small place, mic it anyway! That's what a PA is for!

Oh well....no more arguing. You guys are aight by me, no matter what you say. :roll:

This board is great.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

Postby Chuckles » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:05 am

As far as what you need - and I think this has gone way off topic, but wth - in a big room... I've seen John K playing through either a Princeton or Champ for the pre and I don't know what as a power amp... but it rocked the house through the PA.
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

PreviousNext

Return to The Think Tank