Jerry's pickup of choice

Chat about Equipment Info

Jerry's pickup of choice

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 am

I know jerry was using super II's but i was wondering what pickup he used most often Bridge, Middle or Neck. Thanks
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby waldo041 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:04 am

jerry is quoted as saying he uses the middle in single coil mostly.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 20, 2008 9:11 am

moved to Equipment forum from Candyman...
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Tue May 20, 2008 9:16 am

He seemed to switch between pups more often in his Strat days of the early 70's... at least in the photo/vid record. Never once seen him using the 2 or 4 positions though.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 20, 2008 9:30 am

tigerstrat wrote:He seemed to switch between pups more often in his Strat days of the early 70's... at least in the photo/vid record. Never once seen him using the 2 or 4 positions though.

Interestingly enough my experience with Strats has been 2 fold:
Configuration 1 - positions 2 & 4 were wonderful!
Configuration 2 - positions 2 & 4 totally sucked!

Wonder if that played into it at all??
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Tue May 20, 2008 10:28 am

It sounds like he often used the in-between on Black Throated Wind and Mr. Charlie in his Strat days, and it's definitely the bridge/middle in-between on "Someday Baby" on the "How Sweet it Is" JGB release.

A lot of the Garcia/Saunders stuff it sounds like he was on the in-between position, as well ... cuts like "Expressway" etc.

Seems like in later years he rarely changed from the middle single coil, but when he did, it was always really noticeable to me, like the riff in Chinacat Sunflower, when it goes to the E part.

I think on the Tiger he used the bridge as a humbucker on some of the cowboy tunes, as well; on Cumberland Blues, for example, you can really hear it crackling away. On my guitar, it's great for that sort of thing, if you are playing way up the neck it sounds too harsh and bright, but in the mid and low range positions, it's a terrific sound.
playingdead

Postby FretfulDave » Tue May 20, 2008 3:38 pm

strumminsix, could you elaborate on this?

Interestingly enough my experience with Strats has been 2 fold:
Configuration 1 - positions 2 & 4 were wonderful!
Configuration 2 - positions 2 & 4 totally sucked!

There was a distinct change in position 2 and 4 sound when I switched out the original pickups in my 1976 Strat for Fender Vintage Noiseless in around 1999. The new pickups sound good in those positions as did the old one, but the originals with the swtich position set between the bridge and middle pickups (don't know which number 2 or 4), the sound was, to my ear, very close to what I heard on Europe '72s Tennessee Jed and Mr. Charlie.

So wondering what the configurations are, etc. (not to mention my naivety about the switch positions).

Thanks,

Fretful Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby FretfulDave » Wed May 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Apologies to SpaceYrface43. I did not mean to be a thread killer, but I apparently am. I should not have posted. I now know better.

I will rectify this in the near future and hopefully re-vitalize this thread and the forum.

Sincerely,

Dave Comfort (aka FretfulDave)
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Emoto » Wed May 21, 2008 4:18 pm

When you guys assign numbers 1-4 to the pickup selector switch on a Strat, which direction is the 1? Is it with the switch pointing at the neck or the bridge?
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby jenkins » Wed May 21, 2008 4:44 pm

We can sit here all day and say it sounds like its on his brige humbucker or his neck single but that doesn't mean anything in reality.

We really need to confirm it from video/picture record for it to mean anything.

WHen he was playing his travis Bean he was using 3 p90's and his tone still sounded more-or less the same
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:15 pm

jenkins wrote:We can sit here all day and say it sounds like its on his brige humbucker or his neck single but that doesn't mean anything in reality.

We really need to confirm it from video/picture record for it to mean anything.

WHen he was playing his travis Bean he was using 3 p90's and his tone still sounded more-or less the same

well, yes we can say that he used the middle single coil mostly, because that is what he is quoted as saying.

and as far as travis beans. they were not p-90's. they were single coils epoxyed in the travis bean pickup cover. travis bean pickups were made for TB and looked similiar but were not p-90's.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby myoung6923 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:10 am

in almost virtually every video that I've seen of Jerry playing tiger or later guitars (where you can make out the p/u switch) it's in the middle position
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby jenkins » Thu May 22, 2008 11:44 pm

I didn't know those were TB single coils. Interesting. That still helps make my point that his guitar sounded more or less the same even when he was using different types of pickups. For years I didn't even realize he switched to a TB for a few years in the 70's. I thought he was using wolf only after the early 70's.
I hear much more of difference in his tone when he swithced preamps for those few tours that he used the mesa boogie preamp.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby Chuckles » Fri May 23, 2008 12:45 am

yup. it's much more about the Fender preamp and the speakers than the pups, imho.
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 23, 2008 6:37 am

Chuckles is onto something here. The thrust of the thread is applying a reductionist approach to Jerry's tone by focusing on "what PUPs did he use." This is absolutely cool and fun to discuss. However, to ascertain and replicate his tone requires a systems approach to the question if for no other reason but none of us has Jerry's touch through his precise signal chain. And also, none of us is or will ever be Jerry. Myself, I love his guitar playing the most in the world but, ultimately (and I mean truly ultimately), the question I'll have to answer won't be, "Were you the best Jerry you could have been?," but rather, "Were you the best Jon S.?"

Sorry for the philosophy now, don't know what came over me. :)
Jon S.

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion