looking for an envelope filter

Postby Jon S. » Mon May 12, 2008 2:25 pm

That's why I stopped at just 2! :p
Jon S.

Postby jahozer » Mon May 12, 2008 5:08 pm

You will be more than happy with the mini-Q. It is very round sounding and vowel-like. That is what sets Jerry's use of the effect apart from other users. Other pedals tend to be a bit more "quacky" like Warrens sound with PLF.
However, as evidenced in that video, you can quack out the qtrons (whichever the variety) by overdriving it with your signal. The trick to Jerry's sound is to not overdrive that signal, and just let it ride just under opening fully, and hence quacking. I know it sounds silly, but if you've played around with them you know what I mean.
The trouble is that, some pedals are just all quack, and never settle into that boowow bwow boowow jerry sound.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby pappypgh » Mon May 12, 2008 6:12 pm

jahozer wrote:You will be more than happy with the mini-Q. It is very round sounding and vowel-like. That is what sets Jerry's use of the effect apart from other users. Other pedals tend to be a bit more "quacky" like Warrens sound with PLF.
However, as evidenced in that video, you can quack out the qtrons (whichever the variety) by overdriving it with your signal. The trick to Jerry's sound is to not overdrive that signal, and just let it ride just under opening fully, and hence quacking. I know it sounds silly, but if you've played around with them you know what I mean.
The trouble is that, some pedals are just all quack, and never settle into that boowow bwow boowow jerry sound.

JAHOZER -

That's the best I've ever seen someone actually describe the sound by using the written word! I understood that COMPLETELY!!! :cool:

FYI, I use a Q-Tron and when I use an overdriven signal, I don't get quack! Using my distortion pedal gives it a REALLY cool tone...still (as you said) "boowow bwow boowow"ish...THEN add in my Octave?! SICKLEBERRY SOUND.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Jon S. » Tue May 13, 2008 6:53 am

Thanks for nothing for flaming my GAS for yet another new pedal, guys. :eek: :D

You guys with the 'Trons (whatever versions): am I correct that you put them first in your signal chain?

EDIT: Are there significant benefits to this

over this

or this?

Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Tue May 13, 2008 7:07 am

this is the closest to the original mutron circuit.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue May 13, 2008 7:09 am

Hello
Jon
I go with the Oc-2 1st.
I was always " searching for the sound " and then someone here said try this - Oc-2 ---> Qtron.
I get a decent Jerry Stranger thing going with it set this way.
Its great to set it and forget it.
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby pappypgh » Tue May 13, 2008 7:11 am

Waldo,
That's the one I have.

As far as the chain goes, here's how I link up:

Guitar > Boss Tuner > EH Octave > Boss Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby Wah > Q-Tron > Soundtank Delay > Phaser > Amp.

Sometimes I'll put the ROLAND GR-09 first, then into the Tuner....etc.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Jon S. » Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 am

waldo041 wrote:this is the closest to the original mutron circuit.

peace,
waldo

Thanks much for your input, waldo.

As probably is apparent already from this thread, speaking for myself (only), "closest to the original circuit" is not my only or even necessarily highest concern. I like the small footprint on the Micro Q-Tron and the correspondingly small pricetag.

Anyone here ever A-B the two? How close to they get? Even more importantly, can the Micro give us 90-95% of the full-sized unit? And are the differences relevant to copping Jerry's tone or on the margins where they won't matter anyway (apologies to Bootsy Collins fans ;) )?
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 am

P.S. Anyone heard of this pedal? My understanding is this here pic is of a prototype and it was never actually produced for sale but I have no personal knowledge.

http://www.antelopefx.com/

I figure the builder must be a total Deadhead with pedal names like Morning Dew, Lovelight, Darkstar and Shakedown.
Jon S.

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 am

Way cool !
Fx loop built in !
Thanks for the linky link....
:smile: :smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Jon S. » Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 pm

I just posted this in the Equipment section but thought perhaps it would be of interest here, too.

http://www.pedalarea.com/env_followers.htm

http://filters.muziq.be/type/filter/envelope/test
Jon S.

Re: looking for an envelope filter

Postby Rynlander » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:36 am

I use a Korg AX1000G and an AX3000G, and I have exactly Jerry's envelope filter tone. I don't think that Korg makes any single effect boxes, but these two multi-effects processors are great for a wide array of tones. It's fun to create some of Jerry's over processed 80's tones too.LOL
Rynlander
welcome
welcome

Re: looking for an envelope filter

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:34 am

Rynlander wrote:I use a Korg AX1000G and an AX3000G, and I have exactly Jerry's envelope filter tone. I don't think that Korg makes any single effect boxes, but these two multi-effects processors are great for a wide array of tones. It's fun to create some of Jerry's over processed 80's tones too.LOL

Lemme get this straight: you are running not just one, but two Korg multi-effects processors back-to-back... and Jerry's guitar was over-processed? :roll:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Previous

Return to The Think Tank