Anthem to Beauty footage recording?

Anthem to Beauty footage recording?

Postby jazznik » Tue May 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Anyone know whether there exists a recording of the televised show used at the start and throughout, the 'anthem to beauty' film? It's the guys playing on a low intimate stage, doing truckin', sugar magnolia and other songs. it features only kreutzman on drums, no mickey hart.

anyone know the date/year of this show and/or if there exists a recording of it somewhere?

cheers

-j-
jazznik
welcome
welcome

Postby hesgone95 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the Playboy After Dark footage? I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I've seen that documentary. If that's what it is, I'm pretty sure you can see it on YouTube. Killer MOTM.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Postby b weird » Wed May 07, 2008 10:15 am

Well, if it's just Bill on drums than the footage must be from after 2/18/71. What kind of guitars are Jerry, Bobby and Phil playing? If it is '71 Jerry should have a red SG with just the lower horn pickguard, Phil should have a painted SG bass, and Bobby should have a red Gibson hollow body. If Jerry has a natural Strat than it may be June '71 or any time in 72, but if their talking about songs from American Beauty than most likely it's 70-71 Dead.
b weird

Postby acidrain30005 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:38 pm

I think he may be talking about the TV show they did on the Europe '72 tour (the one with the Big Railroad Blues when they're wearing masks). That or possibly the Grateful Dead movie?
"Carl! Go take your bath!"- Jack
acidrain30005
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby b weird » Wed May 07, 2008 2:59 pm

I have never seen the movie Jazznik's talking about but there is a movie called "Anthem To Beauty".

Actually it's a documentary first aired on PBS about the making of "Anthem Of The Sun" and "American Beauty".

Again I have never seen the movie, I have heard that there are small snippets of concert footage thrown into the film, and I am assuming that those sceens are what Jazznik's talking about.

Though I could be totally wrong and acidrain you may be right.

Peace.
b weird

Postby waldo041 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:30 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

anthem to beauty

Postby jazznik » Thu May 08, 2008 3:09 am

sorry guys, it is the TV show and not a movie... It's not the Playboy after Dark footage, though that is also used in the show. Only Bill on drums, Jerry playing a very plain looking guitar and Bob on a red rather large one. The footage show them playing truckin', sugar magnolia. seems like it's in the states because of the audience.

cheers

-j-
jazznik
welcome
welcome

Postby sarraqum » Thu May 08, 2008 4:31 am

Well they didn't have Truckin' or Sugar Magnolia written when they played in the Playboy Mansion. It wouldn't have been the Grateful Dead movie either as that footage was still in a distant future and couldn't have been committed to film.

If Bobby is playing a rather large red guitar then.....Gibson maybe?

When did Jerry have his first strat? That was around 1970 wasn't it? Strats are usually quite "normal" looking....don't know if it helps
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby b weird » Thu May 08, 2008 8:03 am

Jerry had his first Strat from fall '69-May '70. Truckin' and Sugar Magnolia were not played till fall '70 Jerry must have a red Gibson SG or maybe a Sunburst Les Paul which he played in the late summer-early fall of 71.
b weird

Postby jazznik » Thu May 08, 2008 5:58 pm

I don't have the detailed guitar knowledge needed for this, but I'll give it a try. Bob is playing a big(ger than normal) red guitar, and jerry is playing what I think is a stratocaster with natural wood sections to it. it's not the 'usual' les paul or any of the other custom made beasts. Does this help? I will try to find an image of it.

cheers

-j-
jazznik
welcome
welcome

Postby sarraqum » Fri May 09, 2008 4:43 am

http://dozin.com/jers/guitar/history.htm

Check out this link, it lists Garcia's guitars. If it is a Strat he is playing in the video then it would have to be 1970s era....although......what are the chances of him playing the Alligator Strat? Is that possible? I am not too sure....but anyway, that link should clear up few things I hope.
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby acidrain30005 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Is this the Truckin' that you're thinking of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPNgjA4i6gM

There's no Sugar Magnolia from this TV show. At least not one that I can find. I do believe the Sugar Magnolia in Anthem to Beauty is from the Grateful Dead movie.
"Carl! Go take your bath!"- Jack
acidrain30005
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby jazznik » Mon May 12, 2008 10:27 pm

That is most definitely it...jiiihiiiii! And with the guitar, though pre-alligator-sticker it seems... I really, really dig this jam, so fluid and almost effortless.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Then for the next question: anyone have the 4-17-72 recording?

cheers

-j-
jazznik
welcome
welcome

Re: Anthem to Beauty footage recording?

Postby Frenchdead » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 pm

old topic , but i saw, again, this dvd.

the boys in the studio are inhaling nitrous oxyde like is described in the mc nally book. but in the book , that's on aoxomoxoa studios sessions.

so that footage is from aoxomoxoa or they use that gas on anthem ?
Frenchdead
Keith
Keith

Re: Anthem to Beauty footage recording?

Postby oconnors_35 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:10 am

Frenchdead wrote:old topic , but i saw, again, this dvd.

the boys in the studio are inhaling nitrous oxyde like is described in the mc nally book. but in the book , that's on aoxomoxoa studios sessions.

so that footage is from aoxomoxoa or they use that gas on anthem ?

I could be wrong but a long time ago I had a tape of aoxomoxoa outtakes and I think there was a recording of nitrous weirdness..... sounded like them just messing
with stuff in the studio, while on n20..... and Jerry saying "too much gasssss"

SeanO
oconnors_35
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Next

Return to Tapers Section