help with my sound

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby strumminsix » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:58 pm

pharewellphish wrote:so is this the right amp?

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-fender-vibr ... dZViewItem

im thinking about buying it so if anything looks wrong let me know

It looks like a great amp! Not a Twin like Jerry used but a sweet looking amp and one I'd love to own!
strumminsix

Postby jahozer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:40 am

For the purist, the '65 blackface is the holy grail. But I'm sure I'd be just as happy with this one. Its very hard to resist the constant din of what is the best and whats not. You buy that amp and you will be amazed as soon as you plug it in, how close to Jerrys sound you get.
That IMHO is the goal. To get close. That is the aproach I take. While I want to stay fairly true to Jerry's tone, I also want to be able to sound like me, or rip a blues solo if need be, sound jazzy, etc etc.
I definately can dig getting all the pedals that Jerry used and matching the guitar closely and all. There is nothing wrong with that aproach. I used to play with a guy with gear that I just droooooled over.
But my aproach is to understand the concept behind his (or just good sound in general) and make informed choices on what to buy, rather than completely mimicking his rig.
I think you have taken a good step forward by asking around, here and hopefully other places. And you have gotten some great advice from the sound dogz here in Strumminsix, Waldo, and Tigerstrat, et al. From reading their posts, they are monsters and would never steer you wrong.
I wish we could have big rukind jam party and play through each others gear all night long!!!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:06 am

jahozer wrote:
I wish we could have big rukind jam party and play through each others gear all night long!!!

Sound's FUN, I'm In! :cool:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:19 am

jahozer wrote:While I want to stay fairly true to Jerry's tone, I also want to be able to sound like me

And you have gotten some great advice from the sound dogz here in Strumminsix, Waldo, and Tigerstrat, et al. From reading their posts, they are monsters and would never steer you wrong.

Totally agree! Get close, then be yourself!

Thanks for the compliment!

waldo041 wrote:
jahozer wrote:

Sound's FUN, I'm In! :cool:

peace,
waldo

Oh hell ya! I'm in too. Waldo, I'll pick you up!
strumminsix

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion