Male XLR to 3.5mm adapter?

Chat about Equipment Info

Male XLR to 3.5mm adapter?

Postby BlobWeird » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Is there such a thing. I have a micromemo ipod voice recorder but the mic isnt the greatest. I mean it does good but I figure id benefit more from a real mic. So I plan on gettin the Shure 57. It says the output is through a male XLR plug. The jack on the ipod is 3.5mm. So anyone know how to go about this and where I could find somethin to make it work? Tried google and came up empty handed.
BlobWeird

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Radio Shack my man.
I dont know if what you want is real or not but they could tell you (and/or might have another option ).
Good luck......
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jenkins » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Have you figured it out yet bro? Thats awesome if u can record right onto your IPOD. seems like it would be great for just putting down song ideas anywhere.

You should be able to get a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter.
Than you would go 1/4 to xlr. YOu should be able to find those adapters at radio shack, but they might suck sound quality out of the 57.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby BlobWeird » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Well i can already record straight to the ipod. I have an Ipod mic. But it has a little jack where you can plug in an external mic. So I figured using a real instrument mic instead of just the voice recorder it comes with would be better quality. THe quality with this is pretty sweet though. Just not warm enough.
BlobWeird

Postby willmusic » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:56 pm

In most cases you can find an adapter for your needs. If you can think of a plug/jack-to-different kind of plug/jack there is probably a cable/adapter out there to accommodate you. Or you can make your own (?)
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby FretfulDave » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:11 pm

there are many cable types and adapters out there. Some from Radio Shack. I have a couple of Radio Shack branded Shure mics from x number of years ago and they have XLR on the mic end and 1/4" phone on the other, rather than XLR on both ends as with most mic cables. The XLR to 1/4" phone adapters seem to add a db loss, at least to my ears, probably due to impedance mismatches, so I don't use them even though it is all supposed to work. Perhaps, from Radio Shack or your favorite parts supplier, get XLR to 1/4" phone plug cables and buy 1/4" to mini-phone adapters, i.e. 1/4" phone to 1/8" (3.5 mm) phone. This would eliminate one conversion point, which would be good for loss and may help the impedance problems I have run into with the XLR -> 1/4" phone adapters.

$.02

Good luck,

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Pete B. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:04 pm

You might check out one of these:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... r=ECMMS907

I use this model to record into a Sony Mini-Disc recorder.
`pb
Pete B.

Postby jenkins » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:30 am

Found a xlr>3.5 mm adapter.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/music-sou ... 00-p1.html

they have choice of 1" 6"
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby BlobWeird » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:53 am

Wow jenkins I searched and searched and couldnt find it. Thanks alot!!!! And Pete I might have to check that out. Looks like a decent little mic. Depends whether or not I pick up a Multi-track recorder or not. I might just get a Boss BR1200. Anyone know of somethin similar thats better? Hmm maybe ill make a new thread for that.
BlobWeird

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion