Tremolo or Vibrato pedal?

Chat about Equipment Info

Tremolo or Vibrato pedal?

Postby Emoto » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:52 am

Hi guys,

This isn't a strictly GD question, but given our common love of the GD, what is the current thinking on best vibrato or tremolo pedal? Think of the opening chords of SRV's "Couldn't Stand the Weather" or Pink Floyd's "Money". My old Boogie doesn't have that, so I'd like to add it, but there are a lot of options out there.

I have an old analog Boss chorus that has it, but I can't use that out because it distorts if I run the levels high enough for gigging.

Thoughts?
Emoto

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:17 pm

Vibrato is fluctuation in pitch, while Tremolo is fluctuation in volume... therefore the "tremolo" arm on a guitar would be more properly called a "vibrato arm"- because that's what it does, while the "VIBRATO" channel and effect on old Fender amps is actually a tremolo, or volume-based effect.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby High Peaks » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:25 pm

I just picked up a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe+. Its a combo Trem/Vib/Chorus pedal. It also has a jack out for modulation control with an expression pedal. It is a great pedal. Its pricey though. About $450 brand new. It gets great tones, not noisy at all. Its a little complicated to dial in the vibrato effect, but i think its just a matter of getting used to the pedal. True Bypass also. I would definitely recommend it. I use it for a lot of Trey's stuff.
High Peaks

Postby Emoto » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:05 am

Thanks, tigerstrat!

Woo, High Peaks, $450??? Sounds like it is very nice, but I didn't really want to spend all that much, as I doubt I will use it very often. Electroharmonix has the Pulsar or Micro Pulsar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=150127 that is more in my price range. I have to see if I can find one to try out.

The kid at Guitar center tried to sell me the Boss unit, also for $100. I decided to hold off and do some research. Some reviews claim that the Boss unit is thin or tinny sounding.

Of course, the same kid launched into a monologue about the 1/4" instrument cables I was buying and how important it was that they all match precisely or my sound would be bad, yadda yadda. All of the cables I was buying were pretty nice ones, so his nonsense was uncalled for. I tried to present a differing opinion but he would have none of it. I finally told him to google monster cable and coathanger (try it!). If I weren't a polite guy I would have told him that I have been configuring PAs, stereos, multi track recorders, and plugging in guitars for much longer than he's been alive and that although my knowledge of current hardware is small, I did not just fall off the turnip truck. :mad: But, that would have been rude, so I didn't... :o
Emoto

Postby bucketorain » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:36 am

i have the boss trem unit...i like it...use it alot...

not a bad unit for the price....
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby pmonk66 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:08 pm

I use the Boss FDR-1 Fender Deluxe Reverb Amp Pedal - a good pedal but will upgrade soon!
pmonk66
tiger
tiger

Postby playingdead » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 am

The Hughes-Kettner Rotosphere is a nice pedal, I think Warren Haynes uses one. Nice Leslie sim, which is what you want for the Stevie Ray thing. Not cheap, but a real tube item.
playingdead

Postby Emoto » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:10 am

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
Emoto

Postby spacehead333 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 pm

About a tremelo pedal. I just bought an older boss tremolo pedal. I heard you can mod it to take away the volume decrease. Does anyone know how to do this. Thank you.
-Space-
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
spacehead333

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion