Any luthiers here to lend a hand?

Any luthiers here to lend a hand?

Postby High Peaks » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:00 am

I am going to start building my first guitar with my buddy Dave this spring. Dave is a master craftman( he used to run the woodshop at the U of O in Eugene) who will be doing most of the work, lol. I'm in the process of buying woods right now. It will be a neck thru with the hippie sandwich construction. 24 frets.I was wondering if anyone has any advice or knowledge about this type of construction. BTW, Waldo, if i were to send the guitar to you, could you do the wiring for me?
High Peaks

Postby High Peaks » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:02 am

sorry, I forgot to ask if anyone has recommendations for types of wood other than purpleheart, cocabola, koa, maple, or walnut
High Peaks

Postby alcorelectric » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:49 am

Ive built a few guitars, none neck thru.
My advice get all your hardware and electronics before you cut any wood.
On a 25.5" scale 24 fret with three HBs There is very little room between the bridge and the end of the fret board.
Neck through would not be my choice for a first guitar, one mistake and you end up with fire wood.
As far as wood choices:
Walnut, Ash, and Mahogany, have all been used on guitars. walnut and ash are used on "cowboy".
Cowboy is also a neck through
HTH
T
alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby broomhead » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:14 pm

HI..I'm just completing my own version of what your looking to build.. Well I built a copy of cripes bolt guitar.

I used a maple/purple heart/cocobola for body

and maple /purple heart /ebony veneer for neck

neck thru construction..

I bought EVERY book in print and read EVERY web site for months. So, I'm no luthier, but I am obsessive compulsive. :-)

Before you buy anything, get some french curves, large graph paper, yard stick etc.. pin it up on the wall and draw it all out in full scale. front, rear and side views. Start w/ a line for your scale length (25.5 fender scale).. getting a cheapie electronic digital caliper will make your life much easier.

If you have someone who has tools you might get the wood part of the guitar done cheaply. As you can get pretty lucky on ebay for wood.

I overspent and bought huge billets of ebony, to make my own fretboard, (which I ended up just ordering from stewmac for 25bux..lol), chunks of rosewood, purple heart.

In the end, I probably could have gotten everything i needed on ebay for a tenth of the price.

The tools that are crucial: band saw, joiner or planer, belt sander. CABINET SCRAPERS.. if you keep them sharp are your best tool, i shaped my entire neck w/one. a router or laminate trimmer, files, spokeshaves, sander, drill press or a guide tool for your tuners.

It's extremely fun and rewarding. just take your time and having those drawn out plans helped me SOOO much.. I'm gonna add some links in m next post for some good info.... :-)

BTW
I had been keeping track w/my treo taking pix. so they're not high quality but if you'd like I'll send 'em your way to get a feel for what your looking forward to doing.

joe
broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby broomhead » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:30 pm

broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Any luthiers here to lend a hand?

Postby waldo041 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:22 am

High Peaks wrote: BTW, Waldo, if i were to send the guitar to you, could you do the wiring for me?

you got it!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:53 am

I'm just finishing an Alligator/Tiger inspiered "Jerry Caster"... The suggestion about drawing EVERYTHING out is the best advice. But I would also advise making a bolt-on neck design first. Especially if you don't have alot of woodworking experience. You'll get alot of the nasty learning curve out of the way. There are alot more tools necessary for doing your own neck too. This one has a core of Cherry wood, a layer of walnut, with maple front and back. If you want to use a taller bridge than the fender type, you will have to angle your neck pocket, or use shims... another reason to draw out your plan first. This one's got an angled neck pocket, as I don't really like to use shims unless I have to. Decide on your hardware first.

Brian
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:54 am

Well, I've just been informed, (by the software) that I must have 2 posts before I can upload the photo, so, this is the 2nd 'o)

Brian
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 am

And here's the photo:

Brian
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:01 am

Sweet!
Keep updating us on the gitbox...
Looks like you are on to something cool... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:18 am

Thanks, I will... I just wanted to add, that although using exotic woods from Africa and South America is beautiful, using woods, such as Cherry and Walnut (both fine tone woods) really eases the toll on the forests. You can find some gorgeous walnut to use instead of Cocobolo or like dark woods. I don't know the status of Maple, but I would suspect from the prices and quality, that the demand is exceeding the supply. All these trees take a long time to mature, so look around and choose woods responsibly. That's my rant 'o)

Brian
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:27 am

Very nice guitar so far. Got me beat hah!
BlobWeird

Postby I'm on the Bozo Bus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:47 am

Hey Peaks,
I'm currently running down the same road. My ambitions are rather low.... I am at the wood gathering stage myself.

I can only pass along advice given to me as I have none of my own to share.
I was told to take my time. You know... the measure twice cut once not only applies in the literal sense, but in the choosing materials sense.

I have been collecting blanks for a body for a few months. I only have two now, Rock Maple with a great grain and a very nice piece of Ash. So far I have only been sitting in a dark room naked with a bunch of candles around me waiting for one of these pieces to "Speak" to me. All that has accomplished so far is my family is ready to send me to rehab or the funny farm.....

As I gather more to "Meditate" with I will keep you informed.... I am not planning on this to be a completed project for at least another year.... Like I need another money pit project....

Good luck and,
PEACE,
Phil
I'm on the Bozo Bus
Billy
Billy

Postby alcorelectric » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 am

alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:53 am

Sweet!