Postby myoung6923 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:31 am

Emoto wrote:Mode: LP BP HP Mix
Response: Fast Slow
Range: High Low
Peak
Gain
Boost Off On

Mode: LP
Response: Not sure - I have a Q-Tron, not a +, so mine doesn't have this. I would guess slow
Range:low
Peak: About 7:00 ish - variable though
Gain: 7:00 - 8:00 ish - also variable per sound
Boost: off - but you could use it on for a lead gain or something

This is approximately the most common setting that I use to get a nice warm, round tone. Depending on the sound that I want, I adjust the peak and the gain just a little bit.
You are right that the settings are also dependent on the guitar - more specifically the pickup output - some are hotter than others. These settings are for the guitar volume set all the way up - if you turn down your volume you'll need to adjust gain for that. I have an effects loop on my guitars so the effect is always seeing full volume no matter what. I have mine Q-Tron dialed in for my pickups in single coil - but if I switch them to series or parallel then the output is much hotter and I need to dial down the gain.
Here's something else that I do - especially when I'm playing on the higher strings and I want a little more responsiveness out of the effect - I'll pop the pickup into parallel. Works like a charm.
The tricky thing is if you change your guitar volume - the effect will need to be set to compensate for that - you really need to leave the guitar volume alone once you get the sound that you want.
myoung6923

Postby BlobWeird » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:30 pm

Mode: BP
Response: Fast
Range: Low
Peak: around 4 or 5
Gain: same as peak
Boost: off

With that said when it comes to Peak and Gain and probably Mode also, It will come down to your guitar so you gotta play with it. If you have different pickups and different amp settings your gonna get a different tone than I do with the same Q settings. So give the above a shot and if that doesnt work adjust accordingly
BlobWeird

Postby Emoto » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:19 am

Great stuff. Thanks, guys!
Emoto

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:39 am

Blob, you use BP? I fuggit: do you do Garcia, Weir, or neither? I find you lose way too much bottom unless its LP all the way.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby myoung6923 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 am

tigerstrat wrote:Blob, you use BP? I fuggit: do you do Garcia, Weir, or neither? I find you lose way too much bottom unless its LP all the way.

Right - I find that in BP it just peaks out immediately. I just can't get that jerry sound unless it's on LP.
myoung6923

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:42 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Blob, you use BP? I fuggit: do you do Garcia, Weir, or neither? I find you lose way too much bottom unless its LP all the way.

To be honest Tiger I took a guess between BP and LP. I wasnt sure which I had it set to considering i set it and forget it lol. Im sure your right because out of the 4 there is only one i like. Good call!
BlobWeird

Re: Electro Harmonix Qtron+

Postby tanrosely » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Anyone else here try a qtron+ ever? I just bought one a couple days ago with the added response feature and true bypass. Man do I love that thing. I was gonna get the Mutron III from ebay but I just couldnt get myself to spend that kinda dough. Maybe I should have but this qtron is wonderful. Nothin like playin Shakedown St with some autowah!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trumpet Wedding Dresses|Column Wedding Dresses|Wedding Dresses with Sleeves|New Style Wedding Dresses
tanrosely
welcome
welcome

Postby Dwarf Rat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 pm

I have a Micro and a Mini. They both sound great.
Dwarf Rat
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Deadhead85 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 am

I have a Qtron+ ....and though they may seem overpriced, I think they're well worth the investment. The qtron+ in particularly was designed by Mike Beigel, who created the original Mutron III. Ive never used the effects loop on it, but I really like the sweep switch it has, which other models dont have by the way. With the sweep in the upward position, you can get really nice Jerry tones, if you use a downward sweep, and you get some incredible Bobby tones!!
Deadhead85
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:27 pm

The tone between the mu3 and the Qtron is the biggest difference imo along with the sweep function being a hair different. BUT, it is almost identical in every other way. It is dynamic so the player has to play the box not just use it. Some guys can make it sound perfect some have trouble with it. The Qtron can be played to an almost identical MuIII sound, which I find smoother and a more tamed Q reaction than the Mutron. It is a superb envelope filter and with a GE7 EQ you can change the tone of the box as you see fit to a more MUIII tone. For how much the Mutron goes for, the Qtron and Qtron+ are excellent options for a true Jerry tone. I have yet to see the need to go mutron III after I learned how to dial in and use the Qtron+ properly. It has a great sound. :smile:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Deadhead85 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:32 am

My qtron+, like many others, has a very loud pop when you step on the footswitch to engage it. This is caused by the true bypassing switch and the way its wired. I just got a repair order set up with electro harmonix....they are going to mod and fix it for me! It goes in the mail today to EH.
Deadhead85
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby hawk900 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:54 pm

Mutron3 by musictronics not HAZ!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the key designers from musictronics moved to EH. They sound idenictcal and even the qtron sounds better unless you refurbished your m3. The micro smoke too. It has just the right settings on it for such a smooth dead quack. A boss eq after I believe what jer did for the high string high notes to stop the piercing.
Plus the micro is around 80 bones and brand spankin new.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion