Electro Harmonix Qtron+

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:33 am

Yeah - the Q-Tron - and for that matter, every other envelope filter that I've tried, does the same thing. There's a stronger signal from the heavier strings than there is fron the smaller strings that affects the amount of wah. It's a matter of finding a happy medium & just getting used to it. What I find that works good is to set it so that I can just get that good sound on my high E when I'm hitting it pretty hard - then I have to play lighter on the lower strings. You'll get used to it and learn to play to the efect.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby BayAreaBB » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:39 am

Is the Mini and Micro Qtron essentially the same pedal? I believe the Mini is no longer made and has been replaced by the Micro. If one does not like to change their envelope settings too often and prefers the envelope sound we've all come to know and love, then my thinking is you could save quite a bit of rack room by downsizing from the Q to the Micro.
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:52 am

I like having the option of adjusting the sound for different things. Usually I use it for that classic Jerry envelope sound, sometimes I adjust for the reverse wah sound - as in 70's versions of Dancin' - that real chewy funky sound, sometimes I'll combine it lightly with distortion to get a more raw wah pedal type of tones. I just like the variety.

Here's a couple of youtube videos of a couple of different sounds that I get with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kazmt7I1Z9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO2TbDAr25U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M55MXBYkgBg
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby jenkins » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:40 pm

If you listen to jerry his mutron always sounds the same. It doesn't change tone when he is on different strings. THis is why he had the effect loop built into his guitar. so that way when he is adjusting the volume on his guitar he is adjusting it after all mutron. So that means the mutron always gets the exact same input signal and wont change it's tone at diferent volumes.

The way to eliminate this change in effect is by using the effects loop on your amp. But even this doesn't make it perfect.
The only way to have your tone truly stay the same on all different strings (without putting an effect loop in your guitar) is to use a volume pedal after your qtron and do not touch your guitar's volume knob. You do all of your volume adjustment with your volume pedal, which is in line after your qtron. THis will give you equal attack on your qtron so your toe will stay the same. Essentially you are doing the smae thing here as jerry did.

One thing about the qtron vs. the mutron which is for sale these days. Im pretty sure the qtron is an exact replica of the mutron III that jerry uses. If you look up who originally produced the mutron III im pretty sure it is the same guy who mad the qtron for electro haronix.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby jenkins » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:43 pm

ONe thing about the q tron is that it is not very reliable at all. It worked awesome for me for the first yr i had it. As soon as summer hit and the humdity got really high it started acting wierd, making strange alien spaceship noises when it wasn;t supposed to, its settings would chage on me wihtout touching the knobs. Basically I couldn't use it to gig with after about 9 months of owning the thing.
now it is 3 years old and hasn't worked at all for about a yr and a half.

SO i guess if you ar going to buy one, buy it from samash or daddy's and get the extended warranty, it will be well worth it.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby razmablues » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:17 pm

so is this new micro q-tron as promising as the older mini qtron used to be?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=150101
razmablues
Mickey
Mickey

Postby myoung6923 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:45 pm

jenkins wrote:If you listen to jerry his mutron always sounds the same. It doesn't change tone when he is on different strings. THis is why he had the effect loop built into his guitar. so that way when he is adjusting the volume on his guitar he is adjusting it after all mutron. So that means the mutron always gets the exact same input signal and wont change it's tone at diferent volumes.

Well, that's not exactly true - but close. Since pickups sense magnetic fluctuations, the output of the pickups will be different for different strings. The heavier the string, the more output voltage thus the Q-Tron will be more sensitive on the lover strings than the higher ones.

The loop's main function is so that you can adjust the volume after the effects chain - just like you mentioned doing with a volume pedal post-effects. The signal on Jerry's guitar goes out to the effects then back into the guitar and then through the volume pot - and then out to the amp. This ensures that the effects always see the same input signal no matter what the volume is set at. BUT... this doesn't mean a constant output voltage - that would flatten everything. You want to be able to pick at different pressures and have your effects react to that. THAT'S how Jerry controlled the Mutron - by picking pressure - less pressure on the lower strings and more on the high strings. It's a matter of getting used to the effect and how to alter your picking to make it react the way you want.

I have a Resurrection Bolt clone as well as a PRS that I have modded for the loop and buffer. That is how they work - as did Jerry's guitars.

Just adding a loop will not solve the issue of varying string's effects on the Q-tron - that's just picking control.
myoung6923

Postby dpmphoto » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:38 pm

I build and work on guitars for a living, and one of the most important elements that is often overlooked is the nut.A bad nut whether it be material or craftsmanship will often cause a lack of sustain hence dead string syndrome.My company has a contract with guitar centers in the northeast therefore I see a ton of guitars and gibson is known at least by me to do a crappy job of making a nut. I often have to make new ones for guitars right out of the box, so sad so sad. Its unbelieveable what has happen to the quality and care put into today's guitars by company's whose guitars I used to worship. Peace David.
dpmphoto
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:21 pm

Lets not forget most envelope filters have a "pass":
hi pass, low pass, band bass

Play an Emma!
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:00 am

Yo Myoung6923
Try picking the high E closer to the bridge to compensate for loss of Q-uack.Pick the string further down the string than usual.The pedal favors certain parts of the fretboard.I dont know why this works for me but I do it for Estimated.When you are working the F#m jam and want the "Watching the colors glow"tone.Up past the 12th fret and all.
It took me a while to adjust to it.It works though.
I am happy with the Micro and yet the pedal junkie That I am would like to get this famous EMMA pedal.
Also I totally agree about the sound coming from the fingers,yet without the Emma or Q,those tones are lost.
Gear is a big part of it.
Those guys that got the Jerry cover band (JOnRobb?) have a great guy who sounds like he just plugs in to the amp and lets it wail.Love his sound!I bet hes got a real nice amp though.
Anyway good luck Peace and adios! :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jenkins » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:39 pm

dpmphoto wrote:I build and work on guitars for a living, and one of the most important elements that is often overlooked is the nut.A bad nut whether it be material or craftsmanship will often cause a lack of sustain hence dead string syndrome.My company has a contract with guitar centers in the northeast therefore I see a ton of guitars and gibson is known at least by me to do a crappy job of making a nut. I often have to make new ones for guitars right out of the box, so sad so sad. Its unbelieveable what has happen to the quality and care put into today's guitars by company's whose guitars I used to worship. Peace David.

the "nut" u r referring to is the tuning peg, right?
I have two gibsons and ive always wanted new tuning pegs because i thoght they sucked. What brand would u suggest would solve the gibson's problem.
The g string on both of my gibsons has problems staying in tune.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby Chuckles » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:23 am

No. The "nut" is the "bridge" over which the string pass at the top of the neck on their way to the tuning pegs.

But it sounds like your problem with the G might be either the tuning machines need a tightening.. or you might check the bridge to see if there is any slippage of the string. I don't know Gibbys all that well, though. Wierd that you'd have the same identical prob on two guits.
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby jonarobb » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:11 am

Thought I'd chime in on the Q-Tron/Mutron posts. Also, thanks to Tennessee Jedi for the kind words about my guitar tone...

Although lately I'm not using any effects I do have an extensive Jerry rig that I use for work I do with my band, The JFP, and different Dead cover bands that I sit in with from time to time. I have an original Mutron III from the mid 70's, with it's original power supply. I've used a Q-Tron as well some time back while I was overhauling the Mutron III. I found the Q-Tron to be pretty convincing but because I work on gear for a living I know that the components in the Q-Tron are computer grade stuff. I am a true beliver in using higher grade passive components such as capacitors, resistors, pots, etc. Even transistors and IC op-amps come in so many flavors and construction quality. Unfortunately Electro Harmonix is not of the same mind anymore. EH/New Sensor in general has turned into a budget effects company and the quality of their build is suspect from unit to unit. I was however able to dial in a very convincing Envelope with it, I just never felt the quality was high enough for my standards.

As far as the Unity Gain Buffer, I built my own for one of my guitars and found that I just didn't need it. If I was using the Mutron for a tune like Estimated I would set the Gain/Threshold to a nice balance and when the lead break came around I just picked a little harder to get the envelope to open more. This gives the effect of having a little more volume on the older of the Mutron III's. Picking dynamics are key in getting the Mutron III or Q-Tron, or any envelope follower to work for you. It's super frequency selective as well so that's exactly why you get different dynamics say on the high E above the 12th fret versus the lower notes as in the Shakedown vamp. I like the idea that Jerry came up with I just felt it didn't work for me, as in it wasn't really necessary. I do however have custom built pre-amps by Alembic in all my guitars similar to the Stratoblaster. Mine have adjustable gain trimpots which can bring me down to unity (0db). I keep em' all adjusted a little hot which gives my amplifier pre-amp a little kick in the ass. Not distortion, mind you, but a little hotter tube tone on the front end.

As for my main rig with or without the Mutron III, I have a heavily modified Mesa Boogie Mark I Re-Issue. It's my main gig rig and does just about everything I need it to do. I did the work myself over a period of time looking to match Garcia's tone from 75'-76'. A tweak here and a tweak there. Or I'd gather up some new info, or a supposed modification he had done, be it rumour or not, and give it a test drive with my own stuff. Either thoroughly debunking it or in the best of situations, getting closer to what I think is a close match. It seems to work nicely and my older modified 70' Twin Reverb is collecting dust these days. I do frequently use a seperate power amp to drive the Mesa Boogie. It's a beautiful old Electro Voice 7300, 600w(300 & 300) stereo amp. The closest commercial production amp you can get to a McIntosh 2300. I don't always use it though. I just don't need that power. The Mesa has a very clean 100 watts.

Speakers really play a big part in making your envelope bear fruit, so to speak. Speakers these days are all JBL's. I'm fond of the 2204H. It's a real sleeper from the JBL line. Most cats wouldn't think to load a guitar rig with it but give it a shot. It's got the rolled off highs built into it's frequency range. Really thickens up the lead tones, particularly on a Strat or single coil guitar. The Mesa has one in it. I have a 2x12 extension cab w/ K120's but again, who really needs that much?
jonarobb

Postby Emoto » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:18 am

Hi guys, reviving an old thread here.

I've picked up a Qtron+ and am enjoying fooling around with it. My band intends to do Fire on the Mountain, so it'll get some use. I've been experimenting around, and I know that every guitar causes effects to react somewhat differently, but would those of you with Qtron+ experience mind listing the settings you like for songs like Fire on the Mountain? I'd really appreciate finding out if there is a consensus about where the best Jery sounds are hiding. Here are the controls...

Mode: LP BP HP Mix
Response: Fast Slow
Range: High Low
Peak
Gain
Boost Off On
Emoto

Postby Emoto » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:23 am

Hi guys, reviving an old thread here.

I've picked up a Qtron+ and am enjoying fooling around with it. My band intends to do Fire on the Mountain, so it'll get some use. I've been experimenting around, and I know that every guitar causes effects to react somewhat differently, but would those of you with Qtron+ experience mind listing the settings you like for songs like Fire on the Mountain? I'd really appreciate finding out if there is a consensus about where the best Jery sounds are hiding. Here are the controls...

Mode: LP BP HP Mix
Response: Fast Slow
Range: High Low
Peak
Gain
Boost Off On
Emoto

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion