Power amps

Chat about Equipment Info

Power amps

Postby jenkins » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:59 pm

What kind of power amps are all of you running?
I am looking to buy a Mcintosh but it isn't that easy.
Have any of you played through a MC2300? These are really expensive and hard to find. On top of that I feel like it would just be way to loud for my uses.
SO im thinking about one of the smaller macs. There is the MC240 which is 2 channels of 40w bridgeable to 80w mono. But that is tube and I want a solid state power amp.

Ive been thinking about the MC2100 which is 2x100w or 200w bridged. Or one around this size. This seems like a better fit for my needs.

Have any of you played through these smaller macs? It looks to me like they are of the same quality of the 2300's and the GD definetly used different size mac power amps than the 2300 so I am pretty confident that any of them will sound great. Definetly better than the power amps built into my fender amps.

Are these smaller ones enough power?

And what about brand new Mcintosh amps? They are considered home audio amps. After looking at them they seem like they do the same thing as the vintage ones. They are still made in the same factory as far as I can tell.
They are extremly expensive but IF they ar as good as the vintage than I would think they are worth it.
the website is: [url]mcintoshlabs.com[/url]

Than I remebered the GD switched to Crest power amps in the '90's. These are much cheaper. So ive been seriously considering one of them but I am worried that I will buy one for under $1000 and than next year I will want to buy a Mac anyways and end up spending the money.

Basically I dont care if I spend a few grand I just want a great tone and I dont want to buy another power amp again unless Im outfitting a sound system for a band.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby Dozin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:16 pm

I've played through a MC2300 it's a lot of amp. Very nice though. If your playing small places probably not the amp for you. It can really peel the paint of the walls. If you can turn the amp up a little that's where the beauty of it comes in. Personally, I liked my MC2100 it's great amp and you can carry by yourself. It's just not the most attractive amp. If you bridge the power it's 200w. These dayz I'm using a Crest LA601, same amp as Eaton of DSO uses. It rack mounts which is nice. They're all solid state amps and I would stick with that.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby jenkins » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:31 am

Thanks for the info dozin.

How many watts is that crest your using?
Why did you switch to crest fromm the mc2100? What kind of difference do you hear in the tone?

Do you know what kind of power amps phil is using with phil and friends?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby betteroffdeadnc » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:42 am

Hey guys, I'm an all-tube, all-the-time kind a guy, but I'm curious, have any of you played around with the old Crown DC300As or the Phase Linear or Dynaco 400s of the early/mid 70s? They were all excellent solid state amps that we used for PAs back then and they all held up pretty well, especially the Crowns, and sounded similiarly top-shelf like the MACs in (very) hi-fi systems.

peace,
-s
Better Off Dead
www.betteroffdeadnc.com
www.myspace.com/betteroffdeadnc

"...Trouble ahead, a lady in red. Take my advice you’d be Better Off Dead!..."
betteroffdeadnc
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Power amps

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:58 am

jenkins wrote:
Than I remebered the GD switched to Crest power amps in the '90's.

What happened was that in 77, the GD went to an outside sound company for their PA's: Clair Bros, who relied on the Phase Linear 700. Then in 1981 they switched to Ultra Sound, who used the Crest 3500. Crest powered the Dead until the very end.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jenkins » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:45 pm

hey tigerstrat.
So the GD switched over to crest power amps whne they started using utra sound. Great info.

When did jerry switch to using a crest power amp?
IN the picture on this site of his stage rack form the 90's he is using the groove tube trio preamp and the MC2300.

So what do you guys think.

Crest or Mcintosh?

I hear crest was bought by Peavey a few years back. Are their Power amps still the same quality?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:52 pm

jenkins wrote:When did jerry switch to using a crest power amp?

I've never heard that Jerry ever used a Crest in his rig or anything other than a McIntosh, but I'll bet if he had it would have been near-impossible for 99.99999% of us to tell the difference.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:28 pm

To address your main question, I use one side of a Yorkville Beta 800 amp named "Bessie" to drive a single JBL E120 speaker, off of the preamp feed of a Showman Reverb head. I've had the Yorky since about 1992 as part of an early-80's-vintage basic practice PA which fell out of regular use, and started using it for my guitar rig about 3 years ago. It goes 2x400w > 4ohm, but I only have an 8ohm load so the single JBL 12" draws 250w. It's about 50lb. and 2 rack spaces in size, and my rig will never need to be louder than it goes right now.

She groans like a disgruntled steer a few times as she's first warming up...
Last edited by tigerstrat on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerstrat

Postby High Peaks » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:35 pm

I just sold an mc2120. That amp was great. It was very musical. Warm tone. Still pretty heavt at about 65lbs. I kept it in a rack with a groove tube trio. Definitely nailed the 90's tone. I never got my Twin preamped(like it was supposed to be when i picked it up!!) so i would imagine it was comparable to the GTTRio
High Peaks

Postby Dozin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:47 am

jenkins wrote:Thanks for the info dozin.

How many watts is that crest your using?
Why did you switch to crest fromm the mc2100? What kind of difference do you hear in the tone?

Do you know what kind of power amps phil is using with phil and friends?

The Crest amp is 8 ohm = 120w, 4 ohm = 225w, 8 ohm bridge 400w.

I switched for convenience. It fit in the rack and the 2100 was loose and butt ugly. I think the the mac sounded better. It has a richer fuller sound. However, I like the crest amp for what I do.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby jenkins » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:47 am

hey tigerstrat- did you have to modify that showman head for a preamp out?
Do you get the amps reverb with your pre out or do you use a separate reverb unit?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby jenkins » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:46 pm

[quote="Dozin

The Crest amp is 8 ohm = 120w, 4 ohm = 225w, 8 ohm bridge 400w.

quote]

So do you run that amp 8 ohm, 4 ohm or 8 ohm bridged.

How do you bridge the amp to make it 8 ohm 400 watt?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby willmusic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:41 pm

I think only their PAs and monitors were Crest-powered.

http://dozin.com/jers/90srig/90s.html
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby jenkins » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:34 pm

Was bobby and PHil still using Mac power amps when they switched to the Godzilla amps?
Do you guys know what bobby switched to after that?
Today he is using a mesa rectifier stereo 2:100 power amp which is 2 channels 100w per channel.

Have any of you played through this one? Looks like it might be a good option. COnsidering you can still buy it brand new. But I am pretty sure that is a tube power amp. Does anyone know why he switched back to a tube power amp? IM thinking its because it s only 2x100W as opposed to the 1000w amps he needed with the GD. I wonder if he was using the recitfier when he played with The Dead in '04.

What is that avalon all tube in bobby's rig? Is it a tube compressor? I never heard of a tube compressor

What kind of power amps does Phil use today with P&F?

Does anyone know what P&F and ratdog are using for their PA power amps?

Thanks a lot guys, you really know your shit
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby willmusic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:27 pm

From the Terrapin Station reunion on through the tours with "The Dead", Bobby played through a Vox AC30.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion