Barre chords?

Postby pappypgh » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:06 pm

OMD,
I don't know much about a lot of stuff, but I'm pretty sure Bobby didn't change his style or phrasing due to competition from other players. No one really played guitar like Bob Weir during their heyday...nowadays there are folks in and around the jamband circuit who DO, but they got it from Bobby.

As far as how that song "morphed", well, they didn't play it much different on their guitars from '74 - '95 (a bit faster here & there and they would change WHERE on the guitar they'd play it depending on their mood night to night, I guess), but the only "morphing" that song went through - that I can think of - was the arrangement. They used to put the solos at the end of the song before putting it b4 the 3rd verse.

Finally, I'm almost 100% sure that it's G > C the whole song, but again...you can get away with (and maybe they did too, sometimes) G > Gsus4. I like C best...but taste IS subjective!!

:cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby ronster » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:20 pm

C +1
It's possible Weir is playing a Gsus4 some or all of the time but I'm pretty sure Jerry is playing a C.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby strumminsix » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:21 pm

OMD - cool G > Gsus4 between lines but the mainline of the verse is definately C.

To your point/ears - Bobby did adjust his playing / style / pickup etc to where he felt he needed to be in the midrange.

Pappy - I think this is what OMD was getting it but it's not so much competition but more balancing a very midrange heavy contribution.
strumminsix

Postby old man down » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:23 pm

pappypgh,

What I mean is if you take the Skull & Roses version and compare it to, let's say, 1977, the whole tempo is turned inside out. As I remember, it was like the song could be considered as starting on the C chord when you're right in the middle of the song, rather than being based from the G > C back and forth repetition. Being a player, when I'd hear it I'd think what is this all about, what happened to this song. (Sort of like the early version of Playin' versus the Ace version, or the early versions of Dancin' versus the descending 7ths version much later on.) The song had completely morphed from the lead lines of Jerry, too. His style of play had become much more opened up, he had become a really good guitarist with the ability to do whatever he wanted. When Bertha first came out it was really close to the Skull & Roses version, staightforward rhythm with lyrics, you would recognize aspects of the version when they would play. But in later years, each live version was anew and unique, very much morphed.

Then came the BAM, because it was like a guitar pyrotech technique that, with all of the instruments doing it at once, you could actually feel a wave of sound hit you. The Dead liked that sort of thing. Sort of like the record-skip effect that they could make happen in Cassidy, where time would stand still for an instant.
old man down
Phil
Phil

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:33 pm

Maybe instead of BAM! we could call it "the accent"?
"Throw Me in the Jailhouse.."-->"The accent".
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby old man down » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:43 pm

No, it was a BAM. (GratefulPat coined it, blame him)

Whaaattttt? Nobody noticed my ripping off Townes Van Zant's metaphor a little while ago?

C'mon you guys, you got to keep me honest.
old man down
Phil
Phil

Postby pappypgh » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm

OMD -

I smell what yer cookin' now...sorry, I misunderstood :roll: ...

The "BAM" - dig it.

2 lines normal
On the "2"
On the "3"
Chorus
2 lines normal
On the "4"
On the "5"

I assume that's the BAM of which you speak!! Good stuff....
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:01 pm

B = Bertha
A = accent
M = move
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My 1st attempt at TAB...
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby GratefulPat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm

haha i had nothingto do with the bam! :cool: that was someone else
Comes a time, when the blind man takes your hand and says "dont you see?"