Cassidy Jam - Chord suggestions?

Cassidy Jam - Chord suggestions?

Postby bucketorain » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm

Could anyone suggest some cool chord changes for the Jam section in this song? I was trying E and Abm but, well, i'm not too sure..
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:55 pm

first part: E7b5
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:02 pm

I love doing the E jam for a good while - then on cue jump up to F#m for maybe 4 measures then back to the E.

I've done this many different ways - but my favorite is to go back to the E for 8 measures then back to the F#m 4 measure - back to E 8 measures - then to Abm for 4 measures with nice tight punches (good spot for bass bombs) then come out of this into the "flight of the seabird" part.

Divine!
myoung6923

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:42 pm

There are 3 jams by my count:
#1 - E with hints modulation including: Es4, C#m, F#m
#2 - acoustic jam E7b5
#3 - 80s: E then E rock with F#, hold F#, 2nd time around Abm
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:42 am

Cool- cant wait to try some of them suggestions out...
Cassidys gotta be one of my favorites....
I usually just flub around in E till the flight of the seabirds.... :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby pappypgh » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 am

Well, I can tell you that is most definitely (the 80s version, now) NOT plain ol' E. I used to think it was. My keyboardist, MTTOURPRO, showed me how I was incorrect. Play in straight E along w/ Without A Net. You will find many instances where it just doesn't fit. I THINK (and I'm still trying to get used to it) that it's Esus4(add9). SO, on guitar, that's more easily translated into F#m7 with an E in the bass. NOW, listen to Garcia - the mfer adds a F note in there to make it spacey!! So, you can really run a funky scale in F#m7 (make sure not to lead with the F# note, as it's really over an E bass), but adding that F in there is pretty cool! OR, you can run an Esus4 scale with both an F and an F# in it!!! :?

As I said, I'm still working on making it sound right.

NOW, as was stated earlier, once you run through that big bulk of the jam, you shift up to an F# for 4 measures. THIS F# is a MAJOR scale....then you go back down to that F#m7/E jam for a while longer (we jam it out some more, not 4 measures, but not as long as the first bulk of the jam), then all shift back up to F# for 4 measures, then up to G# (again, in a MAJOR scale) for 4 measures, then the seabirds fly..... :cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby LazyLightnin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:26 pm

I love doing the E jam for a good while - then on cue jump up to F#m for maybe 4 measures then back to the E

are you sure you dont mean a G#m, and not an F#m?
LazyLightnin

Postby pappypgh » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:37 pm

LazyLightnin wrote:
I love doing the E jam for a good while - then on cue jump up to F#m for maybe 4 measures then back to the E

are you sure you dont mean a G#m, and not an F#m?

LL - it goes to F# first, then back down, then back up, THEN up to the G#
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Re: Cassidy Jam - Chord suggestions?

Postby DrDreamPhD » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:27 pm

We do E Lydian for most of it, which is a B major scale starting on E. The bass is rooted in E.

F# pentatonic, B pentatonic and E pentatonic all work in this part -- I like F# pentatonic for making chords out of.

On cue, we go into 8 bars of F#m then 8 bars of G#m into flight of the seabirds.

The cue is important, because you might view it as a shift from F# major to F# minor.
DrDreamPhD
welcome
welcome

Postby mkaufman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:31 pm

I play Eb5. We play the late 70's version so we don't modulate to other keys...

E Lydian is right.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby tcsned » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:26 am

Agreed mkaufman - for some added tension I'll flat the 7 in the E lydian - don't like to overuse those notes all bunched together but fun to play off.
tcsned

Postby Grateful Dad » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 am

mkaufman wrote:I play Eb5. We play the late 70's version so we don't modulate to other keys...

E Lydian is right.

mk

How do you voice your E with a flat fifth?

Cassidy jam fell off the tracks yesterday when we tried it. :x

E lydian is B major scale, C# dorian, D# phrygian, F# mixolydian, etc......so playing chords, chord tones, harmonized scales along these lines should sound good.

Without modulating (like the late 70's versions) may be a good way to bring the song along and when we get comfortable and add the modulations later.

Anyone else jam in E lydian?

Would really like to get this jam going right
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby Billbbill » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:17 am

Grateful Dad wrote:
mkaufman wrote:I play Eb5. We play the late 70's version so we don't modulate to other keys...

E Lydian is right.

mk

How do you voice your E with a flat fifth?

Cassidy jam fell off the tracks yesterday when we tried it. :x

E lydian is B major scale, C# dorian, D# phrygian, F# mixolydian, etc......so playing chords, chord tones, harmonized scales along these lines should sound good.

Without modulating (like the late 70's versions) may be a good way to bring the song along and when we get comfortable and add the modulations later.

Anyone else jam in E lydian?

Would really like to get this jam going right

Hey GD - well I do the jerry end of this but I do the chord thing at times and within the band and when solo acoustic

so a basic deal may be just back and forth in some kind of timing that suits you between the 5th and the b5th like this

Code: Select all
g--9--9--9--9--
d--9--8--9--8--
a--7--7--7--7--

All sorts of runs can be done just from here - like

g--9--9--9--9--add in --9------if you want etc.
d--9--8--6--8-----------11------
a--7--7--7--7------------------

constructing a chord line around that b5 just gives it a signature "cassidy" feel I'd say
Billbbill

Postby mkaufman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:53 pm

One way: try playing an E chord on the 7th fret using the 'A' shape. Then play it again and using Bb instead of B. It's not hard.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby Grateful Dad » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks for the pointers Billbill and mk, I'll pick at it later when I practice and try your suggestions.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Next

Return to Cassidy