Jerry's Effect on Estimated

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby waldo041 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:44 am

right on tigerstrat, i was unsure of which he used but i knew both were basically the same.
the q-tron also has an Attack Response Switch.

From EH site;
The added Response Switch lets the player choose between a slow, smooth, vowel-like attack and the fast, snaked response of the original Q-Tron.

they are both closer to the mutron III then the mini q tron or micro V.as you already know.

alternativly you could build your own clone like i did. you can download the info here;
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/dia ... filter.pdf
i built 2 of them for under 120 each in parts. i have also used this info to repair mutron III's.

just trying to help.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jahozer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:51 pm

Are you sure that the Qtron uses the opto resistors and not the mini?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby waldo041 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:52 pm

i stand corrected again! i need to slow down sometimes and think before i post. you are 100% right jahozer the mini Q-tron in fact does use the optoisolators. i for some reason was thinking of the old EH Dr.Q and did't realize i had the two mixed up until you asked that question. thanks jahozer, for settin me straight and sorry tigerstrat for the misguidance. :?

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jahozer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:16 pm

wohoo!
cool.
I would really like to a/b this thing with my friends mutron III
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby nodin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:33 am

jahozer wrote:I have to say that I luuuuuuv my new Mini Qtron. While not quite the mutron, but god damn its close. Soooo smooth. I had come to terms with my green monster dod, but now that I have the Q, I ain't goin back.
For 80 bucks, I may be as close to the mutron as I need to be. I had decided that 300-500 is just too much for me for an envelope.

Yeah these pedal prices nowdays are outrages. I have a mini Q as well and you defininatly can get close enough to the Jerry sound with that, for a mere 80 bucks. It's a great pedal but does take a bit of trial and error before you can develop a good sound.
nodin
Vince
Vince

Jerry's effects on Estimated

Postby nedcat » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:04 pm

The old MUTRON wah boxes were actually Envelope Followers....sort of like a filter, but follows the attack much closer.
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Postby Phil'sDeadRat » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:23 pm

CHECK OUT this pedal: MXR Auto Q
this pedal is great for getting that Estimated Prophet, Shakedown, Fire on the Mountain autowah sound!

I got one and was hooked, BUT REMEMBER SOUND AND EQUIPTMENT ARE FUN, BUT Jerry's signature sound comes from the heart, A solo should be like a story, your own story above all. Then you add the equiptment and your set.

PEACE * LOVE *
Phil'sDeadRat
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

my humble two cents

Postby kenneybonz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:22 pm

there seems to be something that runs along the thinking that the qtron is a reissue by the guy or guys who origianlly made the mutron III so unless you get vintage, folks seem to recommend the qtron..
there are several , a plus and another a mini.. i got steered to the main qtron and live it
it is a sort of a sweet spot thing on terms of settings but the box comes with a flier that let's ya know the range..
i love it and i love to play with it with the octave divider and distortion and an octave bender emulated by podxt from line 6
anyway, it is a ball.. like many of the sweet spot things, the sweet spot seems to move a bit from day to day and i THINK but do not know.. that it has to do with the elctricity that must vary a bit from to day..
anyway, i love that sound and it seems to be on several scarlet fires and shakedowns as well
tom
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby myoung6923 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:29 am

there are a lot of components that Jerry used to get that nice round wah envelope sound. First obviously, the Mutron - as already mentioned, the Q-Tron is the closest thing to it (and a damn good one at that). The other envelope filters on the market just don't cut it for that tone. Next, Jerry used a boss EQ after the Mutron to shape the tone a bit - maybe just to knock off sharp highs or something like that. Then the 3rd and most important feature of trying to tame the Envelope filter is the onboard effects loop in the guitar. This allows you to maintain one setting on the envelope filter regardless of where the volume of the guitar is - the envelope tone won't change.

Of course the other parts to jerry's tone come into play - the twin, it's modifications, the mac amp, the cabinet, jbl e120's...
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

right re the eq scoop

Postby kenneybonz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:50 am

i like the equalizer he was tlaking about .,. it is like a scoop shape on the knobs that seems to work best.. and it seems to really round out the sound,.
definately a good part of that sound.. tom
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:21 am

A few thoughts on this topic with the good new info...

1 - the onboard loop makes sure all the FX see full volume, then the guitar volume knob controls the volume on it's way to the amp. This could be accomplished by removing the guitar volume knob and using a volume pedal.
2 - the Mutron already has a more scooped sound
3 - the EQ most likely returned the tone to be similar to what it was before the mutron.
strumminsix

Postby BOUKINATOR » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:50 am

YAY MUTRON... that's how I get down on Estimated, Shakedown, West LA Fadeaway, etc

I also like the Boss Dynamic Wah

AND.. I have a little Digitech multi-effects pedal with something called a "Ya-Ya" effect on it.. kind of a voice/wah effect that's pretty cool

"RATDOG.. it's what's for dinner"
BOUKINATOR
Mickey
Mickey

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:00 am

BOUKINATOR wrote:AND.. I have a little Digitech multi-effects pedal with something called a "Ya-Ya" effect on it.. kind of a voice/wah effect that's pretty cool

By far that is the coolest thing effect Digitech ever created.

I loved using it in the Shakedown jams when I had one of their multi-effects.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:03 pm

myoung6923 wrote: Next, Jerry used a boss EQ after the Mutron to shape the tone a bit - maybe just to knock off sharp highs or something like that.

FWIW
jerry used 2 boss eq's both for his boss overdrives. i do not recall jerry using or needing any eq with the mutron.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:16 pm

waldo041 wrote:
myoung6923 wrote: Next, Jerry used a boss EQ after the Mutron to shape the tone a bit - maybe just to knock off sharp highs or something like that.

FWIW
jerry used 2 boss eq's both for his boss overdrives. i do not recall jerry using or needing any eq with the mutron.

peace,
waldo

Yeah, even though at least one of the EQ's is technically "post"-Mutron in the chain, (assuming we are talking 90's, when there were 2 OD's and 2 EQs) I agree the EQ's are intended to shape the output signals of the OD's, although he could probably engage them independent of the OD if he so chose.

EQ'ing a Mutron effect is easy: turn your pickup tone all the way down!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion