Anyone ever see Jerry drop his pick?

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:54 pm

bucketorain wrote:Once I saw Jerry smoking a fatty on stage....the reason i thought it was a J was becuase when you smoke a smoke you don't take multiple quick hits on it then place it back in the ash tray, you would simply take one haul.

I beleive the show was Buckey Lakes in 91.

Odd.. I knew people (and personally) who used to take small hits to either not get light headed, to not burn lungs, to make sure they don't choke, etc...

But, on a side note, I never heard of JG smoking pot after the 70s. Did he? Would assume so but would also wondering if that wouldn't have made him a zombie with the other indulgences...
strumminsix

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:11 pm

bucketorain wrote:Once I saw Jerry smoking a fatty on stage....the reason i thought it was a J was becuase when you smoke a smoke you don't take multiple quick hits on it then place it back in the ash tray, you would simply take one haul.

There are vids out there that show Jer doing this with a cig....not sure if that was the case w/ your show or not.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby pappypgh » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:17 pm

strumminsix wrote:
But, on a side note, I never heard of JG smoking pot after the 70s. Did he? Would assume so but would also wondering if that wouldn't have made him a zombie with the other indulgences...

Didn't he get busted in his black Beemer 7 series with like a quarter pound of the kind in the late 80s??? I recall some sort of news story on that around 88/89, SS....
PLUS, I know the guy who used to sell to him on the East Coast...hehe...a wonderful strain!!! :D

But, I was at that Buckeye show, too...I think it was a cigarette, but you never know, I guess....GREAT show...that and the 2 at Deer Creek that preceeded to kick off Summer Tour 91....KILLER.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:31 pm

Ah, yes, that story is familiar! Thanks for the memory assist!
strumminsix

Postby bucketorain » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:46 pm

shakedown_04092 wrote:

There are vids out there that show Jer doing this with a cig....not sure if that was the case w/ your show or not.

maybe it was all just a dream...lol
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby broomhead » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:32 pm

pappypgh wrote:Didn't he get busted in his black Beemer 7 series with like a quarter pound of the kind in the late 80s??? I recall some sort of news story on that around 88/89, SS....

He was arrested in early 85 for possessing heroin and cocaine.. caught smoking speed balls in golden gate. (any Bay area people out there recall "smiley & Whiplash" from the haight area,peoples park etc.in early mid 80's? quite possibly the 2 most inept undercover cops).

Generally, once heavily involved in hard drugs a person looses interest in the "softer" drugs. but everyone's different.

BTW..pappypgh, I checked out your bands website, WOW you do excellent vocals, VERY young jerry like, Really good!

joe b
broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Chuckles » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:18 am

I don't know, maybe it depends on the specific size of one' fingers, but when I want to switch between picking and fingerpicking I shift the pick from the picking position to have it wedged in between the two middle knuckles on the inside of my right middle finger. If you do it a few times it becomes second nature. If you adjust your hand position based on where the rather limited middle finger now is, you can combine it with the index and ring and chicken pick or double or triple stop as much as you want. (Never have learned to use the pinkie on my right hand...)

Dropping a pick is a foreign idea to me... never saw Jerry drop one... don't recall ever dropping one myself either. Doesn't make me Superman, but how hard is it to hold on to a pick? I meean, how often do you drop a pen or pencil when writing? If you drop a pick more often, you are writing too much and playing too little. (And, btw, Jerry held a pick as if he were writing with it, at the tips of his thumb and first two fingers, as opposed to the conventional flat of the thumb/top edge of the index finger grip. I don't, so maybe that's why I can't play as well as him :roll:) Just sayin'...

I think most of those pick-holder rigs are for grabing a new pick if you rough up the edges of the one you're using too much. Least, that's the way I've always seen it.
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby old man down » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:26 am

Chuckles,

It is not that much of a stretch to imagine Jerry dropping a pick when he admitted in an interview, some quote I read in a recent thread, that his pick was always moving around on him, that he preferred the pointy end of his 351 Fender Extra Hevy.

That's what my pick is always doing, and if I don't address the matter in a timely way, wheeeeeeeee...lost in space. (Warning! Warning!)

But I suppose if he could adjust his glasses constantly, it would have been just as easy for him to roll the pick in his fingers for a sec to get a better grip.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby pappypgh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:24 am

broomhead wrote:He was arrested in early 85 for possessing heroin and cocaine.. caught smoking speed balls in golden gate. (any Bay area people out there recall "smiley & Whiplash" from the haight area,peoples park etc.in early mid 80's? quite possibly the 2 most inept undercover cops).

Generally, once heavily involved in hard drugs a person looses interest in the "softer" drugs. but everyone's different.

BTW..pappypgh, I checked out your bands website, WOW you do excellent vocals, VERY young jerry like, Really good!

joe b

Joe B - First off - thanks very much for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes!! Be sure to check out our online FREE DOWNLOADS, too!!

Second - I DO remember that bust from 1985! BUT, I really have a vision (granted 88-90 is kinda blurry for me these days!!) of Jerry in his leather jacket - white haired (which would imply 88-90) exiting a police station....maybe I'm wrong....I just remember something about a pretty decent amount of kb and a Garcia bust. BTW - he didn't stop smoking the greenies, from what I understand...again, I wasn't THERE, but I've got a couple of friends that were.

ROCK ON, Y'ALL!!
:cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:48 am

I think They made Jerry do a benefit concert as part of his sentencing.
I just switched from Fender Mediums to some gray pick that has the size in mm.I like the new pick but I drop them all the time.They have a grip too. :roll:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby pappypgh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:53 am

Three words for all you pick droppers:

POWDER COATED TORTEX

my favorite picks....green is my personal fave (thicknesswise)

I still drop 'em every now & again, but I typically wear jeans when we're playing (except in the summertime) and put extras in my little "pick pocket" on the right front pocket. Great design by Misters Levi & Strauss, if you ask me!!
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 am

So thats what that little pocket is for!
:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Chuckles » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:59 am

pappypgh wrote:Three words for all you pick droppers:

POWDER COATED TORTEX

my favorite picks....green is my personal fave (thicknesswise)

I still drop 'em every now & again, but I typically wear jeans when we're playing (except in the summertime) and put extras in my little "pick pocket" on the right front pocket. Great design by Misters Levi & Strauss, if you ask me!!
Good call! I use the yellow .73's.
:smile:
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby IamDocWatson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:14 am

dude that is how jerry smoked cigs...he was such a fiend for em he would light em up and hit em a few times real quick just to get him through the next song or two man...i saw a speaker cab of his on sale a while ago that was full of cig burns from lighting them up and just plopping them down after a few quick puffs....quite an addictive personality on mr. garcia
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:20 pm

There is an old picture of the band, Jerry (I think he's got his chops, but I cant remember), is back by the drum riser and they are all passing a huge bowl around. Great afternoon picture with hords of folks in the background
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion