Jerry sound with new reissue 65 twin rev

Jerry sound with new reissue 65 twin rev

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Just traded my Mesa for a 65' twin reverb reissue and i know it's no blackface but i love the thing. I'm looking to dial this big boy in for some Jerry tone and was wondering what everyone was doing in the rukind community??? Current playing a Resurrection Bolt with 3 super II's if that helps.
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby High Peaks » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:17 am

I used to have a 65 reissue. It has tons of headroom. As far as getting the JG tone, it will get the Fender tone, But it has a way to brittle/tinny tone to emulate Garcia's tone. When i had mine i set the treble at 5 (usually higher on other amps), Middle at 9, bass at 2, and reverb at 6.Try loading it with jbl e120's. I traded mine in for a 64' Blackface Bandmaster. That came close, but the 2 setups i've used that we're the closest are:

1.)Guitar w super 2's, sds1--->Groove Tube Trio---> Macintosh 2120----> Jbl e120 2 x 12 cab with open back

2.) 73 Fender Twin (with Jerry mods,high mids boost)thru the same configuration.

I think the most crucial elements are jbls, fender twin preamp, dimarzio's. That will get you close. Then its all tweaking the knobs, and practicing the songs.
High Peaks

Postby myoung6923 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:51 am

I agree - I had one of the reissues as well and I just couldn't get it to sound as close as I was really looking for. I think that maybe it could be modded to get closer to the sound but - I don't really know.

I found that it broke up way too soon - not enough clean headroom. Maybe if it was retubed and rebiased for a cleaner sound?

I ended up returning it and getting an older silverface that had already been modded for that Jerry tone - and I'm extremely happy with it. It cost me about the same as a new re-issue would.
myoung6923

Postby High Peaks » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Good points!!! Also the mods are a whole different monster because its a printed circuit board and not point to point.
High Peaks

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Treble 9, Bass 2, Mid no less than 6, Reverb 5, and get some decent speakers: JBL, ABS, Weber, TT... oh and maybe a really sweet NOS-grade tube for your V2 socket.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby zoppenheimer » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:31 pm

I dunno, I have a reissue also and I can get a really nice jerry tone with the treble at 2, the mids at 9, and the bass at 5, with a dunlop wah pedal on the setting just below its highest to give it more punch. Playing through a fender strat on the middle pickup, it sounds pretty accurate.
zoppenheimer
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Revv23 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:41 am

My hot rod can nail it if i put in some clean tubes and bias colder then usual. I prefer hot tubes and hot bias though...muhahah - i get great jerry sound below 4 volume though, its still quite loud at that point.

a nice tube to try and get that sound might be the TAD 6L6GC-STR. They are amazing power amp tubes that can get really clean overdriven sounds and really nice clean as well depending on how you bias them. everyone compares them to the old blackplate RCA's. Probably not as good as those glory tubes but up there.

As for preamp tubes ive used a number of brands with small differences - certainly some are better then others but i think power tubes should be #1 priority.

Edit - I should mention that im not as picky about my jer tone as some of these other guys here. I am budget limited though hehe. Some day i will be like these other guys. Just have to climb that career ladder. :)
Revv23
TC
TC

Postby GratefulPat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:00 pm

reverb at 5 or 6? seems like alot, i just got a reissue blakcface and i set treb 8 mid 9 bass 3 reverb 3 and its close and i debate whether to put my wah in the line cuz it does add punch but it also sounds more tinny then. i saw jerry had a vox in the july 4 89 show but i just cant get it right on, i emailed john kadlecik for help and if i here back ill let all that are interested know what he said
Comes a time, when the blind man takes your hand and says "dont you see?"
GratefulPat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:25 pm

IMHO, there are some things that need to be done to the 65' reissue that could help get it closer to it's namesake. one is changing the signal caps to some orange drop( or mylar caps of choice). change the plate resistors to military/industrial metal film resistors. also a new set of tubes all around. TAD 6L6GC-STR are nice like Revv23 and are what i use in my Hrdx. and lastly either a set of JBL K or E-120's or a set of Weber Cali 12's.

that is a good start.

printed circuit boards, imo, are not ALL the reason for the loss of tone vs. a good old point to point amp. it usually is the material. the reissue is loaded with cheap parts. the old ones were not. the closer you can get in parts to the old point to point amp the closer the circuit will fire just like a point to point.

my $.01

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby GratefulPat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:33 pm

i just called a guy local to me about doing a garcia mod and he said he needs the schematic for it( on a twin reissue) can anyone help out? and for those who have had this done whats the approx cost going to be
GratefulPat

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:50 pm

GratefulPat wrote:reverb at 5 or 6? seems like alot, i just got a reissue blakcface and i set treb 8 mid 9 bass 3 reverb 3 and its close and i debate whether to put my wah in the line cuz it does add punch but it also sounds more tinny then. i saw jerry had a vox in the july 4 89 show but i just cant get it right on, i emailed john kadlecik for help and if i here back ill let all that are interested know what he said

Kadlecik doesn't even use spring reverb, he uses a Lexicon unit for digital verb. Where did you see a Vox from 7/4/89?? Is that a video or a pic can you point me there?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:52 pm

GratefulPat wrote:i just called a guy local to me about doing a garcia mod and he said he needs the schematic for it( on a twin reissue) can anyone help out? and for those who have had this done whats the approx cost going to be

which mod?
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:00 pm

fender.com has it.

http://www.fender.com/support/amp_schem ... df#E73.pdf

i also noticed looking at the schem that it uses 1/4 watt resistors unless specified otherwise. the standard in the original were 1/2 watt. also that R34 and C18 are reverse. and actually (from left to right) should read C18 --- R34. probably not too much of a difference there, BUT it is different then the original schem. also the point where R34 and R35 meet is the point for one of the front street preamp out taps.

be sure to let us know how it turns out if you do the mods.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby GratefulPat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:09 pm

its truckin up to buffalo i think i saw it in terrapin, but im sure you can see it other places
GratefulPat

Postby GratefulPat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:10 pm

and i was just watchin a video on the twin rev, and when i play witrh my reverb switch the reverb changes obviously but i dont have the footswitch... will something different happen with the verb if i had the switch and clicked on the reverb button on it
GratefulPat

Next

Return to Jerry Tone