Great Song!

Great Song!

Postby cosmic_charlie » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:33 am

I love this song. I never really paid attention to it until a couple of years ago. When I really paid attention to the lyrics for the first time I was blown away.
cosmic_charlie
welcome
welcome

Postby Catfish John » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:28 pm

indeed. There is a funny story about how John Phillips wrote the song at www.whitegum.com
Catfish John
rukind?
rukind?

Postby HOWEYMAN » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:38 pm

This tune is great one. Always loved it. Bobby really belted it out on this one.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby old man down » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:13 pm

Skull & Roses

e|------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------|
B|----b12r10----8------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------8v------------------|
G|---------------------9---------------7---7---------7---9-------|-------------7--------7---9----7----------9v-----------|
D|-----------------------------7h9--------------9-----------------|----8/9---------9-------------------------------7h9---|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------7--|---------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------|

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Me and my uncle went ridin’ down,
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------8-------------------8-------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|
G|----9--------9---9p7h9---------9p7----7------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------9\8----9\8-----5---|----4/5v--------5v-------5v------5v--------5v------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|

------------------------------------------South Colorado,-----------------West Texas bound.
e|----------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------10--|
B|---------------------8v----------------------------------|-------------------------------------8---8---8h10/12----------|
G|----9p7---7---9----------7----9---7-------------------|------------7--7--7---9----7h9---------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------9\8-----7\5---|----7/9----------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------------------------|

--------We stopped over-------------------------------------------in Santa Fe,
e|--------------------------12----12---12----12----10----------10---|---b19r17-----15p0----------------|
B|----------------------------------------------------------12----------|---------------------------15p0-----|
G|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|

-------That being the point,------------just about half way,
e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---b16r14-----12----12------------------------------------------14---12-----14------14----12---14v------|
D|-----------------------------14---14----12----14---12--------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------12-------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

-----Hey, and you know it was the hottest part of the day.
e|---------------------7--7------7----|---7------------0----------------------|----------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------7--7------7----|---7------------0----------------------|----------------------------------------------|
G|---12---------------7h8------8----|---8------------0----------------------|----------------------------------------------|
D|----------12h14----7--7------7----|---7------------2-----------2----2----|---0----------0----------0----------0-------|
A|---------------------9--9------9----|---9------------2----------------------|------2p0-------2p0--------2p0-------2p0-|
E|---------------------7--7------7----|---7------------0----------------------|----------------------------------------------|

--------And I took the horses--------------------------up to the stall,
e|--------------------------------3----3---|----------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------0----0---|----------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------0----0---|----------------------------------------------------|
D|----0------------------0-------0----0---|----------------------------------------------------|
A|------2p0-----0h2-------------2----2--|---------------------------5/7----5h7----5---7---|
E|----------------------------3---3----3---|----------------------------------------------------|

--------Went to the barroom,-----------ordered drinks for all,
e|---------3------3-----------|------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------0------0-----------|------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------0------0-----------|------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------0------0-----------|----5-------------------------------5----7---7---7----9---|
A|---------2------2-----------|---------7\6----5----6---6---7----------------------------|
E|----3----3------3-----------|------------------------------------------------------------|
Last edited by old man down on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 10 times in total.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby bucketorain » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:28 pm

I mean no offense by this at all, but it was funny in the early eighties when Bobby used to say in a most feminine way "take off my dusty shirt". you could almost picture him kicking back his leg when he sang it...

but yes this song is very entertaining.
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby gratephulphish123 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:17 pm

this is far and away my favorite of bob's cowboy songs, the story never seems to get old and jerry's solo is consistently blistering. what key do you guys play the solo in typically i'm stumped?
gratephulphish123

Postby kevo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:24 pm

gratephulphish123 wrote:this is far and away my favorite of bob's cowboy songs, the story never seems to get old and jerry's solo is consistently blistering. what key do you guys play the solo in typically i'm stumped?

E
kevo
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby st. stephen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 am

better Em/G...
=)
Could jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
-Homer Simpson-
st. stephen
Mickey
Mickey

Postby ronster » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:41 am

Play lead in key of G

Nice post Old Man

I always loved this tune but heard Bobby play it way to often.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby bodiddley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:39 am

gratephulphish123 wrote:this is far and away my favorite of bob's cowboy songs, the story never seems to get old and jerry's solo is consistently blistering. what key do you guys play the solo in typically i'm stumped?

Agreed, and the most played GD tune ever...yet I never get sick of it....Big River is up there on my list too.
bodiddley

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:19 am

Old Man down
Will check out these tabs tonight with my git box.Thanks man!
For one of the "Easier"tunes I'm real embarrassed :oops: that I dont know it that well.The Jerry licks you supplied might change that.
My favorite Cowboy song the Dead do?
Mexicali.
1)'Cause I love Jerrys licks on that one!
2)I always thought it was a cover tune!And it turns out its a Bob Jem!
Ace is one great album. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby BuddhaG » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:27 am

Agreed with all said above. I think big river, mamu, around & around, other songs like that (I think you get the picture) can get really annoying after hearing them so many times.

BUT when the boys are on and Jerry is rippin' hard lines on 'em they are actually some of my favorite Bob tunes to listen to.

I think they had some trouble all being on one page with that crazy polka rhythm to Mexicali but when it worked then it really worked. Jerry's playing on that one makes me giggle like a little boy sometimes.
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby BlobWeird » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:05 pm

old man down wrote:
. . That day on the pony, just about half way,

Coulda swore it was That being the point, just about half way? Anyone?
BlobWeird

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Yeah Blob
I agree thats what I hear too.
The pony thing is more western though,so I dont know? :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby old man down » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:47 pm

I thought the lyric was "That day in the border, just about half way."

Thought that for, hmmmm, 30 years. LOL

But I thought you'd all laugh at me for that.

Picked up these lyrics from various sources off the web, so don't pay any attention to 'em.

Anyway, I've got a few hours to kill sitting here in San Jose International Airport, waitin' for a plane.

Guess I'll continue the transcribing...
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Next

Return to Me & my Uncle