trying to get the sound of 77'

trying to get the sound of 77'

Postby drums>space » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:17 am

I'm not really looking for the EXACT sound cuz i know i'll just drive myself crazy over it. But i guess i was just wondering if anyone can tell what effects he's mixing together (jerry). I'm just tryin to get a rough idea before i start messing with it more. Anyone have an ideas?
drums>space
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:19 am

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 am

Waldo
What Happened to your "Bud"?
Ah 420 comes and goes...... :lol: :lol:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:27 am

:D

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:31 am

Yo Drumz.
For Dancin' I think the Q Tron would give you that sound.
Just dont set it in Shakedown mode.
Its one of the other settings,maybe mode 2?
I keep my 'Tron set on the Shakedown setting,but if you change the 1st knob it starts to sound cool more like Dancin'.
Never used a EMMA but folks here are real sweet on the unit.
Good luck! :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby High Peaks » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:19 pm

To get the Dancin tone, its the switch on top of the pedal. You just flick it to the opposite setting, be it down or up.
High Peaks

Postby pappypgh » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:36 pm

Yup - you can use a Q-Tron...I have one, too. You want the arrow on the left top side to be in the "down" position and you have to change the top dial to the last setting, I believe. It pretty much changes the "blow up note" envelope sound to the "suck in note" envelope sound...basically the difference between the Shakedown sound & the Dancin sound, as these cats have put it. My old lead player in Double Dose (Philly) used to use a wah-pedal and he had GREAT control to make the same sound....kinda hard to do, tho.
Good luck!
PS - Hope you have a Travis Bean guitar!!! j/k :roll:

www.theCAUSEjams.com
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:37 pm

On at least a couple of the later '79 versions (but still the "disco" arr.) the Mutron is left in Up mode.

The "down" mutron sound was actually introduced on Dancin's in summer of 76... not sure but I think maybe the "up" sound didnt debut until Jerry got the fx loop in late fall of 76, just before the advent of Fire and Estimated in february 77.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BlobWeird » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Just to clarify it. The switch is named "drive". And yeah it would definitely come from the wah in up drive position.
BlobWeird

Postby pappypgh » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:58 pm

You are correct....my QTron to get the Shakedown sound is in "down" on the "drive" switch and "normal" on the right hand switch. If you want to go the other way, it's UP...but I'd keep the normal position on the right, rather than high. You still do have to change the top dial on the right to the bottom setting, I believe....
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:02 pm

That's strange, on a Mutron the Shakedown sound is UP and the Dancin' raygun sound is DOWN. Which makes sense if you think about it: "bwwwWWAAAAAAAiirr" for Shakedown and "nOORP" for Dancin
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby gratephulphish123 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:02 pm

i have a cheapo DOD envelope filter and ive been able toget it pretty close to jerry's dancin tone my blends at about 5 sensitivity at 7 and range at 8
gratephulphish123

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:15 pm

gratephulphish123 wrote:i have a cheapo DOD envelope filter and ive been able toget it pretty close to jerry's dancin tone my blends at about 5 sensitivity at 7 and range at 8

Sounds like a DOD440, yes? Excellent pedal that sits somewhere on the outskirts of the envelopes. Not as overall musical as the MIII or Emma but it has a few very awesome and unique sounds.
strumminsix

Postby 1960strat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:39 pm

I see a bunch of settings for a Qtron, what about MiniQtron?
1960strat
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:08 pm

1960s StratCat
I got the mini Qtron.
The sound is there.
Its like the other guys said about the Up and Down modes.
Twittle them knobs!
Is not on the Shakedown setting at all though.
I'm at work and tired and cant figure how to explain it.
Damn pedals only got 3 knobs and I'm confused.
Anyway you will figure it out!

:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Next

Return to Dancin' In The Streets