Real Tube Reverb

Real Tube Reverb

Postby High Peaks » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:56 pm

I am looking for this rack mount unit. If anybody has one the are looking to get rid of, i would be very interested. Thanks.
High Peaks

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:55 pm

What amp/head are you looking to pair this up with???

Ever consider a Peavey ValVerb???

It is absolutely wonderful!!!

It integrates reverb via a parallel signal with a wet/dry mix. It gives a studio type of reverb which can't be beat, IMO!
strumminsix

Postby High Peaks » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Well i would use it in 3 different configs.

1.) Groove Tube Trio> Mac 2120

2.) 64 Bandmaster

3.) Mesa mark 3 head( The reverb on it is shit. Is this common for this amp??)

The Twin has great reverb, so no outboard effects needed there!!
High Peaks

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:31 pm

I used my ValVerb with my Mesa Lonestar. IMO Mesa sucks with reverb.

I'm of the opinion that parallel reverb is awesome!
The VV sounds like it parallel and has a wet dry mix.

New amp has parallel reverb and WOW!! is an understatement.
strumminsix

Postby High Peaks » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Nice looking guitar btw. Have you slept since you got it?
:))
High Peaks

Postby BayAreaBB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 am

I have one that I am currently not using, but I don't think I could part with it given its scarcity. But if I can't get it to work well with my set-up, then maybe.

On that note, I cannot get it to work well within my GCX, or post loop as well (outside of the last loop but prior to the ring going back to the j-box). I'm trying to use it with my GCX, Trio and MC2300; with on-board fx loop on my Bolt. Any suggestions? Thanks.
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:02 am

BayAreaBB wrote:I have one that I am currently not using, but I don't think I could part with it given its scarcity. But if I can't get it to work well with my set-up, then maybe.

On that note, I cannot get it to work well within my GCX, or post loop as well (outside of the last loop but prior to the ring going back to the j-box). I'm trying to use it with my GCX, Trio and MC2300; with on-board fx loop on my Bolt. Any suggestions? Thanks.

try running it in the trios parallel effects loop. reverb should always be on and ran last, either before the preamp or preferably in parallel with the preamp. in the onboard effects loop and you are turning it on and off with the effects loop/gcx. i would believe if you are going for a jerry'esque tone, then you will need a good amount of reverb when clean and uneffected also.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby BayAreaBB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:32 am

Waldo -

I've tried ruuning it in my Trio's effects loop but no sound: send to the Tube's input (line or instrument?) and return to the mono return on the Trio, with the the loop turned all the way up (pre-eff at 100% eff). See anything wrong with this?
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Postby High Peaks » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 am

Try to isolate the problem. Or doesn't it work in any configuration?
High Peaks

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:57 am

High Peaks wrote:Nice looking guitar btw. Have you slept since you got it?
:))

Barely :) She's getting a setup tonight and slight adjustments. I'll miss her. Actually I'll be w/o 2 of 3 of my gits until the weekend. :cry:

BayAreaBB wrote:I've tried ruuning it in my Trio's effects loop but no sound: send to the Tube's input (line or instrument?) and return to the mono return on the Trio, with the the loop turned all the way up (pre-eff at 100% eff). See anything wrong with this?

Describe the whole chain, please.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:37 am

BayAreaBB wrote:Waldo -

I've tried ruuning it in my Trio's effects loop but no sound: send to the Tube's input (line or instrument?) and return to the mono return on the Trio, with the the loop turned all the way up (pre-eff at 100% eff). See anything wrong with this?

trios effects send >>to>> 921 Line Level Input

921 Line Level Output >>to>> trios effects return(L-mono)

adjust mix knob.

have you already tried this?

this will only be mono, so the mixed output (L-mono) will have the effected signal, and will be ran to mc2300 in mono.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 am

High Peaks wrote:3.) Mesa mark 3 head( The reverb on it is shit. Is this common for this amp??)

Before I bought my '68 Dual Showman Reverb Amp, I would have characterized my '85 MkIII's reverb as "decent"; now, Id say "barely adequate". Basically, you have to crank it to 10 to get a moderate wet feeling :shock:(that's right I said "wet feeling") , and that's AFTER fiddling around with many different 12ax7/at7/au7 combinations in V3 & V4... however the weak effect that is there sounds good. In contrast the DSR's reverb set at about 3 is roughly equivalent to the MkIII's at 10. I usually have it at about 5. The MkIII's still a pretty great amp imo, served me well for about 12 years, survived crashes, falls, even recovered from theft!

Sometimes with rough handling the little posts inside the tank get bent to one side and kill the spring action... try taking the tank and vigorously shaking it side-to-side (i.e. parallel with the short ends of the tank) and that should straighten out the posts and see if that doesn't help your reverb response a little or possibly a lot. My Mesa's verb was actually nearly dead for about the first 8 years I owned it and I had been using outboard digital verb (which I now cannot tolerate)... then I saw a refernce to the shaking thing and it actually worked for me like a charm- suddenly I had reverb.... still inferior to '60's Fender of course.

Have you tried a different tank in the MkIII... or tubes?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:03 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Before I bought my '68 Dual Showman Reverb Amp

Possibly greatest mass produced amp ever.
strumminsix

Postby BayAreaBB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Waldo -

I've tried what you've said but will do so one more time tonite when I get home. Maybe I'm not using the L(mono) (using R) output when going to the Mac.

For the record, my chain is:

Bolt fx loop->HT jbox->GCX guitar in (Korg Dt1 via feed thru out)->Mu-tron Octave->QTron->Phase 100->Boss GE7->Boss OD2r->Maxon AD9->HT jbox.

Bolt->Trio->MC2300->2x12 JBL e120s.

Thanks for the help.
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Postby High Peaks » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Thanks Tiger i will definitely take a look at those things. I need to get it serviced, and check the tubes.
High Peaks

Return to The Think Tank