pickups

Chat about Equipment Info

pickups

Postby frankielee » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:27 pm

Hey guys...I have a Martin DX1 and I;m looking to put in a pickup---any suggestions?
"Don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road."
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Revv23 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:36 am

You know what you want? You can put in a piezo which would replace your bridge nut and typically requires modifying the guitar, or you could get a pickup that sticks in the sound hole...

I have very little experience with each; though I feel that piezo pickups are typically more popular on acoustics... perhaps because you can't really see them.
Revv23
TC
TC

Postby strumminsix » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:39 am

Some preamp acoustic kits allow for both a piezo and condenser mics. I'd suggest looking into one of those.
strumminsix

Postby BuddhaG » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:09 pm

I do not have a pickup in my acoustic but when I went inquiring about the possibility at the local guitar store I got some advice.

The dude said the best thing he had in stock was this bar magnet pickup. There are ones that go in the soundhole and more expensive ones that you attach to the body of the guitar inside the soundhole.

In any case, go for a piezoelectric (crystal) pickup or a bar magnet type... soundhole mics tend to sound pretty bad...

Hopefully someone else has more knowledge on this subject. This is essentially a bump.

Good Luck

edit: just found this... kind of an outline
CHOOSING AN ACOUSTIC TRANSDUCER
If you already own an acoustic guitar or are thinking about buying one an acoustic transducer is the perfect way to mike it up for stage or studio use.

Many modern acoustic guitars come equipped with built in electronics but ask yourself this - how often does electronic equipment get updated? Every 6 or 12 months? But what about that new Taylor that you saved for, for what seems like forever, which was meant to last you for years. If you buy a pure acoustic guitar you will be able to update the pickup or transducer as new technology becomes available without any damage to your precious guitar. That is very difficult if not impossible to do with factory installed pickups.

Acoustic transducers fall into three categories:

Magnetic

The easiest pickup to fit to an acoustic guitar and the least expensive is a magnetic pickup, which is basically an electric guitar pickup optimised for acoustic use. However, magnetic pickups tend to be the least realistic in terms of reproducing acoustic guitar tone.

Piezo

Piezo pickups either attach to the sound-board or are mounted under the bridge-piece. they work by converting sounboard vibrations into electrical impulses. While they give a more accurate sound than magnetic pickups, they are more expensive and can be more difficult to install, typically needing a jack-socket to be installed using an end-pin jack-socket.

Hybrid

Hybrid systems like the Fishman Rare Earth combine magnetic pickups and internal microphones to give a more accurate rendition of the guitar's tone. However, they tend to be the most expensive and require an end-pin jack socket also.

a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby strumminsix » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:57 pm

Bob Weir uses something like that.

My new acoustic can take an additional feed:
- condenser mic
- soundhole pick-up

I'm torn with which I should do.
strumminsix

Postby dpmphoto » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:31 pm

I have installed about 40 or so fishman matrix pickups and havent had an unhappy customer, in fact most are overjoyed at the results.Only mod you have to do is open up the endpin hole to 15/32,plus if youre not going to do it yourself its not that labor intensive which will save you some cash.Pickup is around 120, trust me you'll love it.If your not going to listen to me at least stay away from systems that mount in the side of your guitar,in fact I refuse to cut up guitars I just dont believe it does any good for the guitar,and definately stay away from the ones with built in tuners.
dpmphoto
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby strumminsix » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:17 am

dpmphoto wrote:I have installed about 40 or so fishman matrix pickups and havent had an unhappy customer, in fact most are overjoyed at the results.Only mod you have to do is open up the endpin hole to 15/32,plus if youre not going to do it yourself its not that labor intensive which will save you some cash.Pickup is around 120, trust me you'll love it.If your not going to listen to me at least stay away from systems that mount in the side of your guitar,in fact I refuse to cut up guitars I just dont believe it does any good for the guitar,and definately stay away from the ones with built in tuners.

Question - I have an A-Y WY1 with the Alvarez 600 mkII. It has a bridge piezo and has an aux for either a soundhole pick-up or a condenser mic. Which would you recommend and why? Thanks!
strumminsix

Postby KCJones » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:09 am

As long as the Alvarez 600 mkII has the ability to blend the two, I would go with the condendser mic. Also get yourself a rubber soundhole cover to prevent feedback. I have tried a couple different soundhole pickups and they just sound like an electric guitar.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion