envelope filter/playing style?

Chat about Equipment Info

envelope filter/playing style?

Postby jake » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Howdy.
This is my first post, although I check out this site frequently enough. Anyway, I have been interested in getting an envelope filter for about a year, and I've tried several (Maxon AF-9, three from electro-harmonix). Everytime I play one at a guitar shop, I always leave feeling disappointed! I CANNOT get any to sound like envelope filters. I have asked other people at different shops, and they are either not that familiar with them, or in one case can't use them either. Now I simply use a wah pedal for songs where Jerry would have used an envelope filter. Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
jake
welcome
welcome
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Postby gratephulphish123 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 pm

wahs are such tone suckers, and i hate plugging them in and out between songs. look for the mutron post we've had running for a while, mutrons are quality
User avatar
gratephulphish123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Postby strumminsix » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:22 pm

2 words you need to know: Emma DisCumBobulator

And check out this thread:
http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=2335
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

hi.. boy did i learn a lot from that thread

Postby kenneybonz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 am

hi..glad you posted
i tell ya, i bought and gave away a boss one.. and since getting a qtron ( which i love ) and seeing the online stuff about the emma discombobulator, i am really blown away by what is out there..
the qtron has instructions in it, if that is what you have.,. but it comes out right and is sweet .. after you look at that thread (and the ones for the songs that use it ) you can always post what you have and what setting choices there are and folks will often help ya close in on it..
this place is such a great resource.. :cool:
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:42 am
Location: richmond va ish

Postby myoung6923 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:22 am

I have used all sorts of different envelope filters and I love the Q Tron. I have heard great things about the emma discombobulator (I have not tried it).

Any envelope filter is a bit tricky to get the settings and playing style just right for the sound that you want. Since it's triggering is dependent on the input signal you have to alter your picking so that you aren't peaking it too soon or not enough. You can dial in the sensitivity to roughly match your picking style - it just takes some getting used to.

It's also very sensitive to effects that are upstream of it as well as changes in volume from the guitar. So, once you set it for a good sound, if you change the volume of your guitar then the effects settings are not going to be what you want anymore. Also, some effects upstream of it, when turned on, will also affect it negatively as well.

The way Jerry's guitar was wired with an effects loop pre-volume pot allowed him to turn his guitar's volume up or down while his effects always recieved a constant level. This way his effects were not affected by the changing volume of the guitar.
User avatar
myoung6923
Senior Member
 
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:47 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:33 am

Welcome Jake, and +1 to the Emma reco.

Also, I know I've said it before, but for wah's, check out http://www.garmopatmods.com/wahs.html#Wah%20Mod%20Options. Awesome mods, and he makes them true bypass.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

Image
shakedown_04092
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Portland, ME

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:50 am

Michael, these 4 paragraphs explain the essentials nearly perfectly, well done!

myoung6923 wrote:I have used all sorts of different envelope filters and I love the Q Tron. I have heard great things about the emma discombobulator (I have not tried it).


Having played both in my stage rig, I think the D-Bob and the standard Q are very nearly indistinguishable in sound. The D is more compact and slightly easier to tweak and you pay a little more. Either one could sub for my vintage Mu-Tron in a heartbeat.

myoung6923 wrote:Any envelope filter is a bit tricky to get the settings and playing style just right for the sound that you want. Since it's triggering is dependent on the input signal you have to alter your picking so that you aren't peaking it too soon or not enough. You can dial in the sensitivity to roughly match your picking style - it just takes some getting used to.

It's also very sensitive to effects that are upstream of it as well as changes in volume from the guitar.
+1,000,000!

myoung6923 wrote:So, once you set it for a good sound, if you change the volume of your guitar then the effects settings are not going to be what you want anymore. Also, some effects upstream of it, when turned on, will also affect it negatively as well.


I would add that anything upstream that isn't true bypass will flatten out the effect in a bad way, even when bypassed (OFF).

myoung6923 wrote:The way Jerry's guitar was wired with an effects loop pre-volume pot allowed him to turn his guitar's volume up or down while his effects always recieved a constant level. This way his effects were not affected by the changing volume of the guitar.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Postby strumminsix » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:33 am

tigerstrat wrote:Having played both in my stage rig, I think the D-Bob and the standard Q are very nearly indistinguishable in sound. The D is more compact and slightly easier to tweak and you pay a little more.

I agree for lead tones. However I could not get a good funky rhythm with the Q.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago


Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests