Ebay Fraud?

Ebay Fraud?

Postby spacehead333 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:57 pm

I just bidded on a prs mccarty for 510 bucks, i was sceptical so i had the seller call me and he was middle eastern, he didnt really sound like he knew what he was talking about. I was just wondering if you guys use ebay, and what you think of it, and what to stay away from?
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
spacehead333

Postby GratefulPat » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:03 pm

i used to and sketchy shit goes down, ive since stopped and i wouldnt trust some1 who has no clue what there talking about. probaly jacking you around, id stay clear and retract your bid
Comes a time, when the blind man takes your hand and says "dont you see?"
GratefulPat

Postby Rev_Roach » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:05 pm

I depend mostly on the seller's feedback, which you haven't mentioned. Never had a problem with any seller who has a high number of good feedback. If he has little feedback (less than 15 or so) or even worse, bad feedback, I probably wouldn't buy such a major purchase from him. I think eBay has some kind of insurance or guarantee, you might want to read up on that too.

Edit: I've never bought a guitar on ebay, I speak from experience of smaller purchases. Don't think I've ever bought anything more than $200
Last edited by Rev_Roach on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby CaptainTrips » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 pm

My first major purchase off ebay was a Fender Champion 600 amp "new in box" and it has since died in a little over a month. Now Im struggling to get a replacement, since its supposed to have a Fender warranty . . . Never again.
CaptainTrips

Postby spacehead333 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:14 pm

his feedback is high, but there is one that saiys fraud item. How do i retract my bid?
spacehead333

Postby jackr » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:23 pm

I make a good portion of my income on ebay and I keep about 1000 items up there at all times, some are thousands of dollars. So ebay is fine, some of the sellers however are real slimey.

I am not sure how to retract a bid but you can. There are some very very reputable guitar dealers on ebay. If you are feeling shakey about it, retract your bid or at least use paypal or a credit card so that you have some protection.

Do you have a link to the ebay ad?
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:29 pm

jackr wrote:Do you have a link to the ebay ad?

So we can all send in competing bids... :twisted: :lol:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:30 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby spacehead333 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:32 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Paul-Reed-Smit ... dZViewItem

Theres the link you guys can tell me what you think, dont be gay and bid though
spacehead333

Postby jackr » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:58 pm

It could use a good clean up and it looks like it may be nicked up. Here is one line that makes no sense since you spoke to him and he didnt know what he was talking about.

"i bought it new and the sound is sweet and the neck is straight and the the frets still good ."

If he bought it new and it looks like it has some good wear and tear, he would have know that insrument well.

His feedback is good. One negative from someone who may or may not have actually returned an item. ( a guitar case for $1800!!!)
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby ebick » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:55 pm

spacehead333 wrote:dont be gay and bid though

NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT!!!!!

Sorry.....too much Seinfeld
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby zoppenheimer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:19 pm

I just bidded on a prs mccarty for 510 bucks, i was sceptical so i had the seller call me and he was middle eastern, he didnt really sound like he knew what he was talking about. I was just wondering if you guys use ebay, and what you think of it, and what to stay away from?

What does the dude's ethnicity have to do with his knowledge of musical instruments?

Dunno about the whole ebay thing though, if I buy shit off the internet I usually go to zzounds or musiciansfriend.
zoppenheimer
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby ronster » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:48 pm

I've picked up a couple of guitars on ebay and had no problems. The seller appears to be legit, only one complaint and that is not clear if it is the buyer or the seller or the mail service is at fault. If you know it is the guitar you want and can have it delivered to your door for 2 or 3 hundred less than the local guitar shop then it may be worth the risk. He has the $2,000 of paypal coverage so make sure you use paypal if you do buy it. Good luck.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby BlobWeird » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:22 pm

As mostly everyone else said, I go by feedback. Got really good feedback and the negative ones arent too bad then I go for it. This guy looks completely legit. I wouldnt hesitate with him.
BlobWeird

Return to The Think Tank