The Wolf

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby waldo041 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:03 am

wisedyes wrote:The only thing about Jerry's guitars that would keep me away from them is the weight! Man, I just can't see wearing an 11 lb. behemoth guitar for three or four hours a night.

actually the Wand Straps, which were made of a bungee type material, made the guitars seem like half the weight. i use something similiar http://www.comfortstrapp.com/ and really does the job for the back!

not the one from house of straps or ebay. it has a poor design at the sewing point and rips in time.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:16 am

wolf 1.0

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby razmablues » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:53 am

so is it true that the first wolf is more or less wired like a strat replica, in a different, heavier body?
razmablues
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:24 pm

yes it was wired like a traditional strat, Except it had a preamp buffer. i believe it was an alembic stratoblaster modded for always on with a switch to toggle the gain on or off. wickersham noted that while he may have performed this mod, he cannot recall do to time. he did note that the SB will buffer without the gain portion on. and after my experiments it does work as i stated, and strongly believe that is how he used it. before wolf, alligator had a stratoblaster modded for always on and might have used a little to no gain, also noted by wickersham. he also stated that jerry loved the increased clarity with the cable capacitance issue negated.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 pm

whatever Jerry was doing with Wolf its probably my favorite Jerry tone ever, whether it be single coil or humbucker wolf
caspersvapors

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:50 pm

whatever Jerry was doing with Wolf its probably my favorite Jerry tone ever, whether it be single coil or humbucker wolf

agreed!

tho i like the single coils version more
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 pm

probably gotta agree with that, especially during that october winterland run
caspersvapors

Postby razmablues » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:23 pm

dear waldo,
i have a pretty standard american strat with maple neck and all that, and like other in this thread, i'm loving the single coil wolf tone.

As you said, it is wired like a traditional strat, but my tone seems... thin... so to say compared to the wolf's. i hear i should put a solid tailpiece on to get the strings going right into the body, and i was also thinking of sticking some super II's on the middle and bridge.

what else could i do to "thicken" up my tone, so to say
razmablues
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:16 am

razmablues wrote:dear waldo,
i have a pretty standard american strat with maple neck and all that, and like other in this thread, i'm loving the single coil wolf tone.

As you said, it is wired like a traditional strat, but my tone seems... thin... so to say compared to the wolf's. i hear i should put a solid tailpiece on to get the strings going right into the body, and i was also thinking of sticking some super II's on the middle and bridge.

what else could i do to "thicken" up my tone, so to say

try this bridge for a strat replacement.
http://www.customshopparts.com/bridges/ ... ridge.html

if you like the single coil wolf tone, keep the single coils but add a modded alembic stratoblaster. there are 2 ways to mod it. i believe jerry used one of the 2 ways in wolf. it adds beef, clarity and and an alway's buffered output. before the volume knob and the blaster always see's the full output of the pickups. after the guitars volume and the volume controls what the blaster see's.

Version 1
http://tinyurl.com/2qxez9

Version 2
http://tinyurl.com/2qfxwq

if your handy with the soldering iron, you could make one fairly cheap. here is a perfboard version i have used.
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/DRA ... 1.gif.html

hope that helps.

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:22 am

+1 on the
http://www.customshopparts.com/bridges/ ... ridge.html

Works very well and one of a kind.
strumminsix

Postby deadguise » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:34 am

The Alembic Wolf (basic Further) now cost $8900, -the price has gone way up! They'll make it anyway you want (custom inlays & P.U.s) if you can afford the extra $. It's a beautiful guitar and plays like a gem, I ignore my Strat & SG because of it.
deadguise

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:56 am

Alembic doesn't make replica guitars.

The Further model is somewhat Wolf-like in its silhouette, and the Tribute model's is vaguely Tiger-like, but that's where the resemblance ends. Not to say they aren't fantastic guitars!! Our local guitar champ Scott Law absolutely smokes on his Further, which has the stock Alembic guts, and some very cool inlays... plays his through a Fender Pro Reverb.

Hey Casper, which October Winterland run, 74 or 78? (I'm guessing 74)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby razmablues » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:18 am

thank you so much waldo, i think i'm actually going to go through with this. but i have one question. you pointed out the different ways you could route the stratoblast (i'm terrible with electronics so i can't really tell what the picture is showing), but is there any difference in effectiveness and sound in the two different ways, or are they just.. different ways?
razmablues
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:00 pm

razmablues wrote:thank you so much waldo, i think i'm actually going to go through with this. but i have one question. you pointed out the different ways you could route the stratoblast (i'm terrible with electronics so i can't really tell what the picture is showing), but is there any difference in effectiveness and sound in the two different ways, or are they just.. different ways?

before the volume knob and the blaster always see's the full output of the pickups. after the guitars volume and the volume controls what the blaster see's.

that said, when the blaster sees the full signal, you can only alter the full output of the pickups+blaster with the volume control, sort of a master volume. when it comes after the volume control, you can roll off the volume and that is what the blaster sees and outputs the roll off. i hope that helps. potato / potatoes actually. all in all it should be the same just how much you want to control it really.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby razmablues » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:08 pm

makes sense! i think i'm going to stick it after the volume, anyway thanks so much man, i'll tell you how it all turns out
razmablues
Mickey
Mickey

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion