The Kenny Archives

Musical Theory Abound!!!

The Kenny Archives

Postby old man down » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:43 am

In the never ending quest for enlightenment on how to play guitar, I've downloaded all of the Chalk Talks and other stuff in the archives.

I'm editing it down to the bare essential stuff to see what he was really saying.

Started with 90 pages due to weird fonts and set up issues. I'm now down to 60 pages.

This will take a while, but I'm very curious to see if it bears fruit.

Kenny had to be a music major, that's all I can tell so far. And he also must have been in bands.

A lot of the stuff is repetitious, some good jokes here and there, and some stuff that goes nowhere.

He stated early on that all you need to know about music could be put down in 3 pages. I wish he had been that precise to begin with.

Still, there are some interesting secrets buried in the text.

He never posted his cheat sheet.

Anyone know what happened to him?
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby jck_strw » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:57 am

Very cool. I'd like to see what you've done. I also have some personal correspondence from Kenny that you can incorporate. He had some really great stuff.

Kenny went bananas. It was a semi-frequent occurence, but eventually he flipped his gourd completely and decided to remove all his stuff. Ass.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby waldo041 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:02 am

kenny was a cool dude. and very knowledgeable theory wise. i believe he had a medical condition and was a little in the dumps personally, but a great teacher. i also believe he was actually from the chicago area. he departed awhile ago and a friend or significant other took some things said the wrong way and deleted all his posts. internet archive i believe saved some. someone like yourself actually dug it out and reposted it here so some was saved and is probably what you are sifting thru. i personnally learned a ton on the modes from him and helped me to start to take control of the fretboard. i appreciate what you are doing and hope it helps a lot people. i would like to reread it when you finish.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 am

Kenny was a good guy.

Something really rubbed him the wrong way here.

Not sure what it exactly was but it was overwhelming to him.

I'm sure he's still a good guy and I wish he was still around.
strumminsix

Postby Billbbill » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:05 am

jck_strw wrote:Very cool. I'd like to see what you've done. I also have some personal correspondence from Kenny that you can incorporate. He had some really great stuff.

Kenny went bananas. It was a semi-frequent occurence, but eventually he flipped his gourd completely and decided to remove all his stuff. Ass.

Don't hold back jack, tell us how you really feel. ;->
Billbbill

Postby old man down » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:10 am

Yes, I've seen all of your names there so far. And Waldo, you were his favorite "student." He was very pleased with your progress.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Yo...

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:13 am

Anyone know the history of R U Kind?
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:15 am

He was for fact in Chicago.
I mailed him some shows some time back.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:30 am

old man down wrote:Yes, I've seen all of your names there so far. And Waldo, you were his favorite "student." He was very pleased with your progress.

i don't want to say i took advantage of him, but i tried. :) he was one of the reason i am still here today. he was so generous with his teaching and really wish i had gotten some contact info before he departed. however i do not believe it was actually kenny, but someone else who went thru and removed them. i seem to recall kenny apologizing for the whole situation before he departed. and that worked for me. for the record, he wasn't an ass!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:48 am

i miss kenny.....:cry:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Kenny

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:50 am

Tell me of this Kenny-he sounds cool. :smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jck_strw » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 am

When he was dispensing information, he definitely wasn't an ass. He was full of great stuff. But he kept pulling the same bullshit:

1. Kenny perceives some sort of slight
2. Kenny gets upset and threatens to take away his ball
3. Community pleads with Kenny to stick around
4. Kenny sticks around and says he's sorry, let's move on

He pulled this shit 2 or 3 times. The last time may have been some sort of communication snafu between him and someone else sharing his account, but given his past behaviour, it was getting old. I sent him some tapes offline as well and we corresponded a lot, but eventually he became too high-maintenance.

He used to be 'd' and DaleGribble as well if I remember correctly.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:16 pm

jck_strw wrote:It was a semi-frequent occurence, but eventually he flipped his gourd completely and decided to remove all his stuff. Ass.
:lol: reading this post, I instantly visualised the Conan O'Brien bit with hand stamp being applied, along with the announcer stating "ASS!!"
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby ebick » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:35 pm

jck_strw wrote:1. Kenny perceives some sort of slight
2. Kenny gets upset and threatens to take away his ball
3. Community pleads with Kenny to stick around
4. Kenny sticks around and says he's sorry, let's move on

jck_strw wrote:He used to be 'd' and DaleGribble as well if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I was gonna say...ya nailed except he'd leave and come back under another alias.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby jahozer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:43 am

Wasnt there some troll/weirdness going on acusing him of Devil worship or devil music or some such?
I kinda suspected it was him all along, because I vaguely remember these weirdos logging on and stirring up shit about playing devil music and Kenny getting very upset. But then after the 2nd or 3rd time he flipped out and demanded his shit removed, I thought more was afoot then just your average trolling.
The way I see it, once its posted, it belongs to the forum comunity.
Guy did know his theory, though. Aproached it like a metal head. And I mean that with respect 'cause while its not really my cuppa tea, those dudes know their scales.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Next

Return to The Think Tank II