I want a mandolin. Who here plays one?

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:29 am

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:
Go with an acoustic one. You will be much happier with the instrument

Even though he stated in his opening post that he specifically wants one to plug into an amp?

A couple of post have pretty much said what I meant as well. As far as initial cost, sound, preformance and being a instrument to have for a while, I would go with a nice acoustic. You can get a lot of nice pickups so that you don't have to "stand in front of a mic". Also if you get an acoustic, get a nice bridge put on it to increase the acoustic volume of the instrument, and in my mind you be better off. This way, but hell I don't know
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Postby pharewellphish » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:17 pm

bobbybobbob wrote:I love the sound of an electric mandolin on effects. Can anyone give me any infomation about Michael Kang's (String Cheese Incident) mandolin and setup? He is AMAZING!!!

http://www.emando.com/images/players/Kangolin1.jpg

one of kangs old mandolins was on sale a while ago on craigslist i think... it explained everything about it but i cant find it now

as far as mandolins go i dont know what to get but i definitley recommending starting it (for anybody) its a lot of fun and helped gimme new ideas on guitar too
pharewellphish
Brent
Brent

Postby mutant_dan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:31 pm

I have been playing mando for years and if your want to go electric you should stay away from the double course intruments. The double course just doesn't work going through effects directly into an amp.

Check out Jonathan Mann at http://www.manndolins.com he will build you an electric just like Tiger for about $1400. Nice stuff...
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby HansDerTans » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:35 am

Holy crap those manndolins are beautiful. I can't afford anything like that quite yet. I can really only go for something in the $300-$400 range.
Cobweb on my shoes
HansDerTans
TC
TC

Postby Tennroots » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:42 pm

Greetings,
New to the site this is my first post, so i can't link URL's yet but try out these sites for mandolin help, they're awesome, video lessons, tabs, forums.
music moose dot org
mandolincafe dot com

i started w/ a Michael Kelly mandolin and upgraded to a Weber after a year of playing & lessons. There is a big difference in tone quality & playability, i.e. fretwork & spacing up the neck.
hope this helps you.
"pick it clean"
Tennroots
welcome
welcome

Postby gratephulphish123 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:58 pm

ker1227 wrote:rogue makes a decent beginning mando, $50, it gets the job done

i have this mando and it gets 0 jobs done. fretting it is like drilling for oil with a toothpick, it never stays in tune and it has terrible sound quality
gratephulphish123

Previous

Return to The Think Tank