Favorite Bob Marley songs?

Musical Theory Abound!!!

Postby Scary Pete » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:56 pm

No Woman No Cry [Live] is my favorite Bob Marley song, although there is not a single one I dislike. Marley's almost as good as the dead in my opinion.
Scary Pete
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Too many favorites...

Redemption Song
Could You Be Loved?
Kinky Reggae
Small Axe
Burnin And Lootin'
Lively Up Yourself
Bend Down Low
Sun Is Shining
Trenchtown Rock

..and many more.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby FairTheeWell » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:33 pm

Lively Up Yourself! Great story about this song. Summer 03 at the Vanhoy Campgrounds, Harmony NC Last Smilefest at this location.

A band by the name Barefoot Manner (Raliegh,NC) gathered all the kids and young ones at this festival and sat them down for some time and taught them this song. That afternoon, before Buring Sprear I beleive it was, Barefoot Manner took the main stage with all the little ones and played Lively Up Yourself while the little ones sang their hearts out. Very power stuff!!! One of those moments I'm sure you all know when the power of a song hits you and your like, WOOOOW!

Anyone happen to be there?!?!?!
FairTheeWell
Keith
Keith

Postby st. stephen » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:54 am

Apat from all the obviou ones...
Trenchtown Rock & This Train
Could jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
-Homer Simpson-
st. stephen
Mickey
Mickey

Postby LazyLightnin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:43 am

so much trouble in the world

and every other song. i definetly like the older recordings with just "the Wailers". you can find those 3-cd box sets for like $15 at best buy and places like that.
LazyLightnin

Postby TheDude » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:29 pm

High Tide or Low Tide and Rainbow Country are always great..
TheDude
welcome
welcome

Postby Long Distance Runner » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:51 pm

There's not a bad one. Some of my favorites are Trenchtown Rock, No Woman No Cry, Positive Vibration,Get Up Stand Up, and Roots Rock Reggae.
Goin' where the climate suits my clothes.
Long Distance Runner
Donna
Donna

Postby gumbo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:48 am

If you like marley and tosh then check out a French man named Serge Gainsbourg. Peter and rita (not %100 for sure on rita) did some recordings with him and I must say they are the shit. Its all in french too, so its like another instrument.
Feel free to give me some meaning.
gumbo
Brent
Brent

Postby LazyLightnin » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:06 am

Toots and the Maytals also. Toots Hibbert actually coined the term "reggae" from a song he did the early 60's called "Do the reggae". Ive seen Toots 5 times. I got to shake my bones on stage with him at a show. I hugged him like 4 times and shook his hand a few also. my 4 minutes of fame 8)
LazyLightnin

Postby big_river_bum » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:31 pm

anyone enjoy king tubby or any other dub? you can find some good cd's with king tubby, lee 'scratch' perry, and others where they all contribute to the songs. "dub side of the moon" is cool as well. they turn pink floyd's dsofm into something unique with rasta flavor
big_river_bum
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby d-v-s » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:18 am

A couple of favs:

Lively up yourself (live from Babylon by Bus has some great guitar work on this song)
guava jelly / this train

Can anyone recommend any live Marley? I have Babylon by Bus and it's real solid. Anything else out there that compares?
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs and insanity for everyone, but it's always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson

The fool wonders. The wise man asks. - Benjamin Disraeli
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby krzykat » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:34 pm

mutant_dan wrote:I was really into Marley when he first came on the scene. His music was magical, new and refreshing. Marley inspired me to go see Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer (which make up the three original Wailers). Marley then became somewhat of a staple for the masses and too mainstream for my tastes.

Bunny never really did it for me.

Tosh seemed to be connected at a different level that for some reason really spoke to me. If you love Bob and have never checked out Tosh, do yourself a favor and give him a listen..

Stop that Train and get up stand up are tosh songs most people think that Bob wrote them, especially get up stand up
krzykat

Postby Candyman421 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:26 pm

bob rules, really one of the first artists that got me listenin to good music, my favorite bob songs are time will tell, mellow mood, kaya, lively up yourself, and of course redemption song
"The flame from your stage has now spread to the floor"
Candyman421
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby guilhermeful dead » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:04 am

Kinky Reggae

Midnight Ravers

Slave Driver
É o povo na arte, é a arte no povo. E não o povo na arte de quem faz arte com o povo.
guilhermeful dead
Donna
Donna

Postby spacehead333 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:58 am

Could You Be Loved, poppy but awsome
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
spacehead333

PreviousNext

Return to The Think Tank II