Studio vs Live

Postby krzykat » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:00 pm

slow one by far is my favorite to listen to,
krzykat

Postby Shaggy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:25 am

The American Beauty version for me everytime.

Though Garcia/Grisman did some tasty ones later on. This is nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U67PVvO7WI
Shaggy

Postby Pete B. » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:08 am

As a gigging DeadHead whose been playing this tune live for audiences since about '78, I would say the fast version pretty much always brings twirling heads to the dance floor, but most of my fast versions were done in Bluegrass-ee band settings, and were usually acoustic based bands, and often times I was playing pedal steel (or acoustic guitar).
I find the Slow versin to be much "deeper" and expressive though, and have been favoring playing it this way in recent years in tribute band settings, wether on electric guitar or pedal steel.
In all those years I don't believe I ever saw a Live fast version by the boys.
I happen like Brents "Marimba" patch on his FOTD solo on Dead Set. I really like when Jer comes ripping in right after that.
~pb
Pete B.

Postby zoppenheimer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:07 pm

I love the faster versions, when they slow it down it loses that bluegrass element that makes it such a good song. And the live versions might compare if they were to tour with grisman.
zoppenheimer
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:38 pm

I guess it's the difference between chugging beer and sipping a fine wine. Both can sometimes be appropriate. They played it fast for about 4 years and then slow and THICK for another 19 (a taste faster in G&G). I definitely think Garcia made changes that the song needed to visit some very special places. Check out Jerry's solo on Closing of Winterland(12/31/78)!! Nothing like that ever would have been possible if the tempo hadn't been rolled back.

Funny how the mid-70's changed the tempo of several songs but in different directions. Songs like Eyes and Playin In The Band sped way up, FOTD and TLEO slowed down... just a few examples.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BuddhaG » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:18 pm

i just listened to a really cookin FOTD from 8-17-82 (audience) and it was just so gracious. the jam got really intense with brent filling in ever so nicely, propelling everything into overdrive. jerry was able to get much more emotional intent into his solos when it was slow and man did he rock it...

Dancin' changed so much from the 60's and continually throughout the 70's. they are all pretty awesome but i really like one from 5-6-70 at MIT a fuckin lot. they get into a sweet motown jam on that one, holy crap, its hair raising. so much different than the ones wit hthe mutron from the late 70's... :smile:
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby KCJones » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:40 am

Live for the most part
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby Henry » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:47 am

The slow versions fit in well with the context of the late '70s/early'80s shows, but I personally tend to think of it more as a country-oriented song, so the studio and early live versions in a similar tempo are my favorites. I always play it fast when I play it myself, too.
Henry
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby BuddhaG » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:54 pm

yep, usually play it fast and with bluegrass/country feel when i'm jamming with my buddies. also prefer doing the song acoustic, or at least acoustic rhythm guitar...

like someone said before, always gets ppl dancing and smiling when u get a nice perky version going.

in any case, great song no matter how you play it.
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Previous

Return to Friend Of The Devil