what "modern" pedal = Mutron Octave Divider?

Chat about Equipment Info

what "modern" pedal = Mutron Octave Divider?

Postby Guyute24 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:30 pm

so i play dead, phish, etc. in a band, and i play lead, sometimes i play the jerry sounds and whatnot, and i've been wanting to get a new pedal to try out. right now i have a q-tron>mxr distortion+>cry baby wah>boss flanger>fender twin reverb. i also would like to get rid of the flanger, and get another ts9 at the end of my chain. (my old one died). any help would be great, and you can check out some of my bands sounds at www.backwoodsdrifter.com it will link ya to our myspace page, as our original site is being redone. thanks again...

michael
Guyute24
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Location: Dark Star Crashes... Pouring it's light into ashes.

Postby High Peaks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:31 pm

if you want a ts9-- definitely check out analogman. Great pedals, really get the Trey sound(with a ross)
Check out an mxr phase 90 or 100.
Boss Oc-2 octave-- gets some nice Jerry sounds( Stranger, Terrapin jam, Fire, etc....)

try an a/b switch box w/ true bypass(search tone jones on ebay??) That way you can actually seperate the Jerry/ Trey Rig.

As long as you have 1 cab with jbl's and one with celestion 30's!!!!!!!!!

Nice gear though, the tunes on the page sound great!!!!!
High Peaks

Postby Guyute24 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:18 am

thanks, we're doing alot of originals too. but our covers are mostly dead, hendrix, clapton, etc. i've tried the mxr phase 90 and i didn't like it at all. i'm not trying for the exact trey or jerry sound, i just want something new to experiment with. maybe i'll try the boss oc-2. i use my q-tron for fire on the mountain, will the oc-2 sound better? thanks for any help,

michael
Guyute24
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Location: Dark Star Crashes... Pouring it's light into ashes.

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:02 am

The oc-2 is good and gives you 2 octave downs. the Mutron octave divider had 1 octave UP and 1 octave down. the octron does that. i do not have one yet! but hopefully will soon.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/octron1.html

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:21 am

I wish they had some clips of long sustained notes in low register, octave below, to show the tracking quality of that Octron.
I thought the octave below clips sounded alot like an OC-2.
I'm a fan of Octave pedals, and use them directly in front of envelope filter pedals.
I like the octave below + envelope combo for single note soloing.
Pete B.

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:20 am

Phaser = Maxon PH350
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:48 pm

waldo041 wrote:The oc-2 is good and gives you 2 octave downs. the Mutron octave divider had 1 octave UP and 1 octave down. the octron does that. i do not have one yet! but hopefully will soon.

peace,
waldo

HUGE thumbs up on the Fox Rox OCTRON!! I just scored one and I just can't leave it alone... impossible to get a bad sound. It earns a permanent spot on my board.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby shakedown_04092 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:49 am

waldo041 wrote:The oc-2 is good and gives you 2 octave downs. the Mutron octave divider had 1 octave UP and 1 octave down. the octron does that. i do not have one yet! but hopefully will soon.

peace,
waldo

Nice video, Waldo, very informative. I like how he takes it all apart and really breaks the pedal down for you - all pedals should come with this! Thanks for posting it. :cool:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby bucketorain » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:55 am

i have an oc2 i'm not sold on it...maybe my settings are not correct. to me it seems only good for solo's. if i play chords it gets a distorted sound. could someone suggest what would be the best jerry type setting for this pedal? i tried looking online for a pick of his set up but the pic of the oc2 was not clear. any help would be appreciated..thanks!
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby waldo041 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:41 am

bucketorain wrote:i have an oc2 i'm not sold on it...maybe my settings are not correct. to me it seems only good for solo's. if i play chords it gets a distorted sound. could someone suggest what would be the best jerry type setting for this pedal? i tried looking online for a pick of his set up but the pic of the oc2 was not clear. any help would be appreciated..thanks!

the boss oc-2 and most octave pedals use tracking. it tries to track the note it hears and produces the effect from that. that is why it is recommended first in an effects chain so it see's an uneffected signal. i personally run mine after my mutron III.

that all said, it will not sound good with multiple note's such as a chord. single line playing is recommended with most octave pedals.

hope this helps,

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby bucketorain » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:45 am

thanks waldo...that is what i thought...i bought it oc-2 used so i wanted to make sure it wasn't busted...but yes i have it 1st in the chain then my Dynamic Wah.

thanks for the note.
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:08 am

waldo041 wrote: i personally run mine after my mutron III.

That might actually work better than placed before the Mutron III, because the Boss pedal's bypassed output will be buffered and make it very difficult to achieve a atrong envelope effect. I had remedied this by using a seperate TB switch pedal for the OC-2... however my new Octron is TB, replacing two pedals with one. Not to mention it sounds at least as good as the Mutron OctDiv :-)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:26 am

TS,

i actually use an GCX audio switcher which bypasses both when not in use. that said, i find that after the mutron is the best place soundwise for me when the 2 are engaged together. octave down before the mutron is not that good soundwise to me. although with a ringer or octave up may sound good ran in front of the mutron.

just my opinion.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jahozer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:38 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
waldo041 wrote: i personally run mine after my mutron III.

That might actually work better than placed before the Mutron III, because the Boss pedal's bypassed output will be buffered and make it very difficult to achieve a atrong envelope effect. I had remedied this by using a seperate TB switch pedal for the OC-2... however my new Octron is TB, replacing two pedals with one. Not to mention it sounds at least as good as the Mutron OctDiv :-)

I run my Qtron after a Boss CS2 compressor. I do that to get a straight signal to the qtron, almost like a keyboard, or jerrys efx buffer loop. It didnt occur to me about the buffered signal. It doesnt really effect the sound when not engaged. I should try it before the compressor. I think I have but stuck to this way. Its actually a hold over from when I had that crazy dod envelope filter.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion