noobs effects question

Chat about Equipment Info

Postby xero92 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:22 pm

Now here is something I have always wondered about, seeing as we are on the topic of FX and amps and settings: What does the 'Presence' knob do. I have messed around with it a tone on all different amps, and I really don't understand what it does or notice much change when i turn it up or down.
xero92
Brent
Brent

Postby GratefulPat » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:32 pm

so for a jerry esque sound what distortion pedal would be good to buy. what other pedals are essential besides a qtron
Comes a time, when the blind man takes your hand and says "dont you see?"
GratefulPat

Re: wow... great discussion gurus..

Postby Henry » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:52 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Then in 1990 the MXR was ditched (along with Tiger) for those two Boss overdrives...

Do you know which Boss overdrives exactly? I've been using one on and off for years and from what I've heard, most people seem to prefer the Tube Screamer but if Jerry chose to use the Boss, they can't be all that bad, can they?
Henry
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

playing a few days with pod xt ts model, i see the solos iss

Postby kenneybonz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:39 am

hi.. thanks guys.. i see the issue with it on solos, at least in the podxt emulated model..
i have a boss ds-1 and while it shines on some things it seems like it is missing something
i thought that ts were in the overdrive category..
i mean my stuff sounds so much better in the month or so i have been asking questions.. so i really appreciate.. and hope ya don't mind..
so, my neighbor has a blues driver ... says it is better than a ts.. we are getting together saturday so he can show me.. but he plays a lot of 80s covers that aren't dead sound...ya know, stuff ya like to play in the car but hope ya don't get stuck at a light with people overhearing like turning japanese and ball and chain
so when you say overdrive are you tlaking something like the boss od-3? and do i read right, a couple of them? if so, why a couple? this post format is tougher cause i don't know that i can hit back and re read your post without losing this one..
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

ok, boss.. yes i see em in the pics.. but two?

Postby kenneybonz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:41 am

why two? strung together? on at the same time?
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

i see three, a blues driver and boss od and a twin od and di

Postby kenneybonz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:46 am

hi.. so three that show up are a blues driver which i am gonna try this weekend with me stombox fiend friend..
then there is the boss od and to confuse things even more a TWIN ( ie , pair of overdrives? ) and distortion box.

i feel like i am entering the great envelope filter debate... :-? :-?
but u guys seem to really understand this stuff. so, in advance, thanks.. my stuff has really jumped in skill of late.. thanks to some hep from y'all... tk
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

may have answered my own question

Postby kenneybonz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:56 am

looked at somethin on dozin that talked about use of a hm distortion and then different o/ds with an equalizer after it to scoop and so on, i guess..
now it's really time to hit up the collection of my pals fx box pile..
is that what you were driving at, though, that there were two different od/ distortion combos that he might choose from?
i mean, it wasn't one chaining into the other for some extra effect?
tom
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby shakedown_04092 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:18 am

Well...I have 2 tubescreamers because I have one set on a mild distortion, for when playing rhythm or when I just need a little bit o' punch, and the other is set on full-tilt distortion (think Miracle, Chalkdust Torture, etc.) A real growly tone. And then when I really want to kick it up, I'll turn both on. I love my TS's and wouldn't trade 'em for the world. If one dies, I'll be getting another one that day, with Analogman's silver mod fo' sho'.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby Dozin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:09 pm

xero92 wrote:Now here is something I have always wondered about, seeing as we are on the topic of FX and amps and settings: What does the 'Presence' knob do. I have messed around with it a tone on all different amps, and I really don't understand what it does or notice much change when i turn it up or down.

I love guitars with presence control. It works really well for Bobby stuff,.. and Bob puts them in all his guitars. "The EMG SPC control to be exact". Basically it's used to boost the gain. My interpretation is it flattens the sound or takes the highs and boost them up to desirable levels without ear piercing highs. I recently played a tele with one installed in it and it was the bomb. I seriously was hearing late 70's bell rings from it. I was trying to buy the guitar on the spot but he wouldn't sell it.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby Django » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:34 am

xero was asking about the presence control on an amp. Most older fender amps have them for sure. I have one, don't know what it does. I'm interested in someone telling me how to utilize this with some specific examples, as well.
Django
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Dozin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:09 am

In laymen terms, it either flattens or brightens the sound with a active boost.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Re: wow... great discussion gurus..

Postby bucketorain » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:07 am

kenneybonz wrote:that helps me a lot too.. what is the overdrive of choice .. birthday coming up.. i see ibanez tube screamers and even THEY come in several types?
or is that a dumb question?
:smile:

i would go with either the boss SD-1 (SUPER OVERDRIVE) or the BD-2 (blues driver). I also have an vintage MXR distorti0n + (rarely used) I play these through a fender blues deluxe and the tone is amazing. i rarely get the the volume up past 4. but having these pedals gives you the ability to shape your sound without having to get too loud...if you can get a tube screamer you can get that SRV sound which is cool as well...or if you are intrested in hendrix, go wiht the Dunlop fuzz face and the rotovibe...

at the end of the day, if you have GAS (gear aquisition syndrom) like my self, you will have to a master swithc board to select which style you want to play, ie jerry, srv or hendrix....too difficult to pick one..

good luck! and remember that tone is king..
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby strumminsix » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:13 am

xero92 wrote:What does the 'Presence' knob do.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampbasic.htm wrote:Valve power amplifiers often provide an additional presence control (which reduces negative feedback in the power amplifier section) to provide a small amount of boost at frequencies above the treble control.

That's the what and the how.
strumminsix

Re: noobs effects question

Postby tanrosely » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Now here is something I have always wondered about, seeing as we are on the topic of FX and amps and settings: What does the 'Presence' knob do. I have messed around with it a tone on all different amps, and I really don't understand what it does or notice much change when i turn it up or down.!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trumpet Wedding Dresses|Column Wedding Dresses|Wedding Dresses with Sleeves|New Style Wedding Dresses
tanrosely
welcome
welcome

Re: noobs effects question

Postby eric » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:59 pm

whats up with the dresses?
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion