Rythym guitar like Bob...

Rythym guitar like Bob...

Postby jamhead6 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:02 pm

For 6 years I have been listening and playing along to the dead. I, like most people, mostly listened to and wanted to play like jerry. But recently Ive tried to listen to Bob as much as possible, and I think he is one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard. Does anyone know a good book or website that is a good guide to playing rythym guitar like him? The interlude in Not fade Away>GDTRFB on the live disc "Greatful Dead" is insane.
jamhead6
welcome
welcome

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:51 pm

check out some of jdarks's stuff

i.e. bobs parts in the china>rider transition

http://jdarks.com/files/chinacat2.html

instructional vids, he details jerry and bobs parts for most Dead tunes

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?u ... p=r&page=1

also watching a lot of vids, helps, like the bonus footage on the GD movie has a lot of Bob stuff
caspersvapors

Postby Shaggy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:39 am

I reckon Bob is a perfect example of someone coming up with a totaly original approach and style to his playing. Going back I think he simply had no other choice, a basic rock guitar chord grinder would not have cut it in the GD and the GD would not have become what they did had Bob been just another of those. For that he deserves a heap of praise - sometimes people forget how good Bob was/still is.
Shaggy

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:47 am

Shaggy wrote:I reckon Bob is a perfect example of someone coming up with a totaly original approach and style to his playing. Going back I think he simply had no other choice, a basic rock guitar chord grinder would not have cut it in the GD and the GD would not have become what they did had Bob been just another of those. For that he deserves a heap of praise - sometimes people forget how good Bob was/still is.

That about sums it up right there. Couldn't have said it better. :cool:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Ole Bobby

Postby Laytonco » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:57 am

Hey folks,
If you find a book or figure it out, let me know. I've been playing Bobby in various forms for 20 years, and I certainly haven't figured it out. Here's the deal though, learn the obvious parts by listening to the shows...lots and lots of them. There is a "right" part for China, Scarlet and others. But then, play along with the bootlegs. Make your own stuff up! That's what I do. It's more fun that way when you can listen to one of your own shows and think, "Cool, I made that one up and it sounded good!"

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby IamDocWatson » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:13 am

just do everything that doesnt come naturally, take your standard strumming pattern and swing it all over the place, invert your chords and decorate them all pretty, have dyslexia, play rhythm melodies, dont get in the way but dont get pushed out of the way, chirp and squeal and get some birkenstocks...thatll do it
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Return to The Think Tank