Somthiung about Dead tribute bands....

Postby sarraqum » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:42 am

Hehehe, I've been cornered.

Have they really played in Europe recently? When was that?

And I know I say this pretty much every time but say it again, I have no intention of pissing anyone off.
sarraqum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby AugustWest » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:01 am

It was in march I believe. They played a 6 shows I think. 3 in germany and 3 in amsterdam. All three shows had dso, yonder mountain, keller williams, and dave keplinger.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby smile_smile_smile » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:58 am

i've seen dso a lot recently(almost 10 shows this year so far) and each time was a truly awesome experience, these boys take the spirit of the dead and immense you in it, i think they call themselves an orchestra for a real good reason...the music truly plays the band!

and something rob eaton said recently on a board that goes with this thread...."Always remember we have NO idea what the dead played in their set list. I personally don't really want to know. I woiuld rather have the music flow in the moment and not be influenced by their night!"

that's that.. go for the experience, not to compare
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Built2Last » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:05 pm

i think its cool going to the shows and listening to the music and hearing stories from heads who have been to hundreds of shows. i recently saw them play a great 92 show from the cal expo. they have high energy and the crowd is always going wild
Built2Last
TC
TC

Postby smile_smile_smile » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:49 pm

hey built2last i was at the stone pony too great show on an awesome day...they really bring out those 90s shows....i was one of those cats goin nuts, dancin' like there was no tomorrow(can't wait 4 musikfest) :lol: standing on the moon!
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Postby deadguise » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:55 pm

I happen to be in a Dead cover band because that's what I want to do. Through the years I've been in metal, rock, country, blues, R&B/funk and all I care about now is playing Dead. You can't please everyone but I get the most satisfaction pleasing Dead Heads. We don't try to be the real deal, the audience knows that, like what was mentioned before, they just want to enjoy the live experience.
deadguise

stone pony

Postby Built2Last » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:47 pm

yeh smile that was a bitchin show. i was dancing my ass off. GLORIA! that set list was amazing. you from the jersey area?
Built2Last
TC
TC

Postby smile_smile_smile » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:36 am

hell yea!!...Standing on the moon>Lovelight oh yea! and yes born and raised...living in kingston right now right outside princeton
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Postby broomhead » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:03 am

Dark star Orchestra somehow climbed past the usual level of dead cover band. As most generally only gain notoriety and fan base in one region, they somehow can fill a room nationwide.

For me the Dead was a huge exciting adventure. Leaving home, trying to see every show, seeing friends, sharing crazy stories of epic proportions, driving a school bus cross country with a la-z-boy recliner as the drivers seat, Meeting and befriending people who had done what i was doing for years. There was this whole history behind it. There was a feeling that anything was possible... and sprinkled in that adventure were these amazing concerts, where from wherever you stood you could see everything from people prostrating themselves in prayer over Jerry's notes. people trying to stay clean, people who are watching the heavens open and music pour out on crazed psychedelics, heroin addicts, bunko's, dealers, students, businessmen etc... just an incredible slice of Americana.

So...Obviously, nobody can "cover" all that. That said, I saw DSO and I had a few goose bump moments where I thought.. "wow, these guys get it"..I was impressed it was a fun night out (as I'm getting older and kids etc..nights out are rare..lol)

jb
broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:04 am

I can only imagine that we all cover the dead.Isn't that why we are at this website? And yea, sometimes I want to myself off...
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Previous

Return to The Think Tank