the top of my acoustic has a swell by the bridge

the top of my acoustic has a swell by the bridge

Postby IamDocWatson » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:16 pm

the top of my acoustic isnt level straight across, i noticed in its reflection being warped so i ran my hand across and sure enough right by the bridge has a small bump/dip in it...its not that bad, if u lay it flat and look across it horizontaly u cant see the lump...but im worried about where this will lead...what should i do?
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby ronster » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:22 am

Play in front of the most people you can and go into your most bad ass solo ever and end by setting your guitar ablaze and smashing it into several hundred pieces or you could take it to someone who knows something about guitars. What kind of guitar and how much is it worth? If it is under 5 bills then you probably will get more satisfaction from the the first idea.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby IamDocWatson » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:19 pm

its an 2000$ gibson songwriter...but i wouldnt smash a 100$ guitar...as long as i can play on the first 3 frets theres no reason to break an instrument
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby ronster » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:55 am

Is the top of the guitar flat and fully connected to the bridge? If so it's not a problem (at least not yet). I would take a nice guitar like that to a luthier and get their advice.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby mutant_dan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:03 am

Sounds like you might have a brace problem. If you tap an the top with your knuckles do you hear a rattling noise? A loose brace should rattle a little bit.

If you are the original owner and can prove it with documentation, Gibson should fix it for free. You would have to pay for shipping.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jackaroe1276 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:14 am

This might surprise you, but the problem is most likely nothing to do with the bridge, it's that the wood is too dry. Spend $20 on a humidifier to stick in the soundhole religiously anytime you're not playing it. I'm willing to bet that in 3 months it will be gone.
jackaroe1276
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Django » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:32 pm

Alas mine does also, however it is over 30 years old and it hsn't gotten any worse. That will raise your action a bit, mine is completely acceptable.
Django
Bobby
Bobby

Postby The Other One » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:46 pm

I think you need a humidifier. Although I would go to a pro (contact Gibson first) with that guitar. I just picked this up for my martin. It was a decent deal on ebay and it automatically keeps your case at 45% humidity without you having to fill it or guess how much water to add or worry about leaking.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwhumidity.aspx

Video about it here: http://www.planetwaves.com/Resources/JD ... idipak.wvx
The Other One
tiger
tiger

Postby wilky » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:34 pm

A humidifier is a good idea. Also keep it in its case, not on a stand or wall hanger. And untune your strings when you have it stored. This is what is pulling your top into a bow. There are approx. 180lbs. of pressure pulling up on the bridge on a flattop guitar. If you want it repaired take it in to a gibson certified repairist and see what they say.
wilky
welcome
welcome

Return to The Think Tank