STRAT

Chat about Equipment Info

STRAT

Postby ker1227 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:39 am

Was wondering if some one could answer some basic questions about a strat.

1.when and where do i play in regards to the 3 pickups?
2.Whats what with the switch?
3.Basic run down on how to use the tone knobs

thanks, keith
ker1227
Billy
Billy

Postby hobbsy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:25 am

Well, here's my take... I play a Strat and as far as p/up use and tone adjustments, it all depends on what YOU want. As a rhythm guy,I like the neck pick up. Seems a little softer to me. The bridge p/up is brighter and more for hot tones and leads. The middle p/up is just that, kind of a mix. Just play with your switch in various positions until you find what you like. It can vary from song to song obviously.

Use the tone knobs starting all the way up and adjust down for subtle tone differences. To me, this is something you need to figure out by just playing. It will come....
hobbsy
Brent
Brent

Postby hobbsy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:32 am

Sorry, I didn't answer your 2nd question. Your switch has five positions for three p/ups. All the way up (towards the neck) is activating only your neck p/up. Move the switch down one click (for lack of a better term) and that activates both your neck and middle p/ups. One more click down, the center position, controls only the middle p/up and so on and so forth...

Your tone knobs work in much the same way. Depending on your switch position, tone knobs effect either one or multiple p/ups.

Hope that is somewhat helpfull....
hobbsy
Brent
Brent

Postby ker1227 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:33 pm

thanks, that is all very helpful. So i am correct in understanding that you play directly over the pickups. I was always playing in between them :oops:
thanks , keith
ker1227
Billy
Billy

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:08 pm

You don't have to play right on top of your pickups, but they will be loudest there. ... you'll find that you can achieve differtent right-hand techniques at different places along the strings, even up on the upper-fret area of the neck!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby China Cat » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:50 pm

switch:

-bridge
-bridge/middle
-middle
-middle/neck
-neck

tone knobs are just like any others, they take away or add "bite"

you can play anywhere over the pickups, the closer to pickups in use the louder they will be
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:05 pm

I sometimes find myself adjusting up from the lowest tone setting on the guitar, rather than the other way around. Perhaps especially so when dialing in an envelope effect.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:28 pm

I just play in the general area of the pickups. I guess I don't ever really look down to see where my right hand is. Hmmmm, maybe I should? :shock: hmmm....
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby Django » Tue May 01, 2007 3:14 pm

As far as picking hand the main thing is where your palm rests on the bridge, it's perfect for palm muting and such, where the pick is where your fingers are in relation to that palm.
Django
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion