electric guitar kits

electric guitar kits

Postby JONZILLA » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:39 am

Anybody ever fooled around with one of these. Carvin sells the strat-style kit for about $350. I've thought about building one in my spare time (also looks like a child could complete one). Just wanting to hear of the quality of these things.
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Pigpen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

it looks pretty cool, i wanna start out with that before i build my own
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby gr8fulbluz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:52 pm

I have been looking at a kit for a while. My big hold up is I dont have a place to do fine sanding or finishing. I want it with locking tuners and birdeye fretboard for sure.
The Carvin site has a forum on bolt kits
here
the Carvin museum also has a builders forum with some info and helpful people.Here

good luck
gr8fulbluz

Postby paulinnc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:27 pm

I was on the http://www.wdmusic.com site and they have a strat/tele kit generator it is pretty cool. You can also up grade some of the parts I think. But they start around 300$ but with certain finishes and pickguards/hardware etc. there are some additional charges. But over all they look pretty cool. I think their necks are a little expensive though.

Here is a link to the kit builder http://www.wdmusic.com/guitar_builder.htm
paulinnc

Postby bucketorain » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:38 am

I have been interested in building accoustic gutairs.

does anyone know of what tools etc. that I would need to get started? what would the intial investment be go get set up to start building?

Are there any resources out there that will provide this info?
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby pappypgh » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:51 pm

Bucketorain - go to www.customguitars.com and check out SB MacDonald's site. There is a blog page on there somewhere and he's got many photos of his equipment & tools. He is a MASTER luthier. He built my custom electric guitar (go to his gallery & click on "The Natural Wonder"). OR you can see it at www.theCAUSEjams.com/photos .

Pappy

:cool:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby hesgone95 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:51 pm

Hey now...sorry to jack this thread, but paulinnc I see you're in Chapel Hill,NC. Is that anywhere near Charlotte? I ask because I'm moving there in September. If it's close, I'm always down to jam.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Guitar Building and Mods