Opening chord

Opening chord

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:35 pm

I used to know it :? ...can anyone help me out?

Is it a F7(#9)?

Somthin' like that....
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

Image
shakedown_04092
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Portland, ME

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Nope, nevermind...it's just a G7. I was just fingering it wrong. :shock: :x :lol:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

Image
shakedown_04092
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Portland, ME

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:42 am

I don't have a copy of the tune near me, but I am thinking since the song is a blues in G that the seriously intense altered chord at the top of the tune is built off the V chord or D if you will. Try a D7#9#11, sounds about right to me. Here is an attempt at posting the chord.

E---6-----
B---6-----
G---5-----
D---4-----
A---5-----
E----------
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
User avatar
Crazy 9.5 Fingers
Senior Member
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:14 pm

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:I don't have a copy of the tune near me, but I am thinking since the song is a blues in G that the seriously intense altered chord at the top of the tune is built off the V chord or D if you will. Try a D7#9#11, sounds about right to me. Here is an attempt at posting the chord.

E---6-----
B---6-----
G---5-----
D---4-----
A---5-----
E----------


I always thought it was a D sharp-nine, a la "Purple Haze", etc.; I'll have to check out the sharp-eleven.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Postby ronster » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:27 pm

I vote for a G7 and don't forget to bend the crap out of it. Try using a C7 shape moved way up the neck (- 10 9 10 8 -). So what is a G7 hold the crap?
ronster
Bobby
Bobby
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: Palm coast Florida

Postby strumminsix » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:55 am

tigerstrat wrote:
Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:I don't have a copy of the tune near me, but I am thinking since the song is a blues in G that the seriously intense altered chord at the top of the tune is built off the V chord or D if you will. Try a D7#9#11, sounds about right to me. Here is an attempt at posting the chord.

E---6-----
B---6-----
G---5-----
D---4-----
A---5-----
E----------


I always thought it was a D sharp-nine, a la "Purple Haze", etc.; I'll have to check out the sharp-eleven.


Both sound right to me. I checked this against the version on my hard drive:
DP08
DP22
Fallout from Phil Zone
Grateful Dead (album)
Grateful Dead (album - live track)
Birth of the Dead

Can't tell which was right. Considering 3 midrange instrument come in at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if both were present by at least 1. But the "Hendrix chord" sounds more right to my ears and the one I use.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Postby ronster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:09 am

I agree, when you bend (sharpen) the strings on the G7 chord you get more or less the same sound as the funky D7+ chord that crazy9.5 posted
ronster
Bobby
Bobby
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: Palm coast Florida

Re: Opening chord

Postby zoooombiex » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:42 am

Hmmm, I thought it was a polychord. I'll need to go listen to it again...
User avatar
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Opening chord

Postby Cmnaround » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 am

This is yet another example of why it would be great if Phil would be kind enough to write a music theory book for us - explaining exact what is played - and more importantly - why - how it all ties together from a theory perspective. There is clearly something unique going on theory wise with the Dead's music and having Phil explain it would be a nice gift to us all.
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Opening chord

Postby Octal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Cmnaround wrote:This is yet another example of why it would be great if Phil would be kind enough to write a music theory book for us - explaining exact what is played - and more importantly - why - how it all ties together from a theory perspective. There is clearly something unique going on theory wise with the Dead's music and having Phil explain it would be a nice gift to us all.


I would read the whole thing nonstop without breaks for bathroom, eating, or sleeping.
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Olympia, WA

Re: Opening chord

Postby gratefulredhead » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:41 am

After a lot of very close listening, I'm certain of these facts; the chord contains a Bb, Eb and a C (C is the bass note). It may also contain an E (giving it the dissonance off of the Eb- but if it's there it's understated). I also beleive the guitarists are layering two different inversions of the chord over each other which is what makes it so confounding.

Anyhow these notes add up to a C7#9, but you can also try flatting the 3rd (E) to an Eb which works too- but is not as dissonant.
gratefulredhead
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 am

Re: Opening chord

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:48 am

It is the same chord as the opening chord to Steely Dan's "Don't Take Me Alive" -- and that's a killer song 8)



Bitch of a chord to make but you can do it. Larry Carlton strums it at the beginning of the song.

G7#9

Notes are G D F B F B-flat

E A D G B E
3 5 5 4 6 6
User avatar
playingdead
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Opening chord

Postby gratefulredhead » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:10 pm

I am working off of the version on Dick's Picks 8 and there is def a C in the bass note. It's much harder to hear the chord on the studio album.
gratefulredhead
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 am

Re: Opening chord

Postby Billbbill » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:00 pm

I play the C7#9 - pretty sure this is a layered chord though.
User avatar
Billbbill
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1790
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Westchester NY

Re: Opening chord

Postby waveydb » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:58 am

Yep- C7#9.
User avatar
waveydb
tiger
tiger
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:16 am


Return to Viola Lee Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest