This version is way off try this

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:01 am

ebick wrote:
cunamara wrote:"Correct" is relative given that the Dead reharmonized tunes and changed arrangements all the time- sometimes from one performance to the next. You have to pick what you think is the definitive version.

In "Brokedown Palace" the version on rukind.org is transposed down a whole step- as you note- but also has a variation in the harmony compared to the version on "Dead Set," the line:

All the tabs list the album that the version represents. In this case, American Beauty, not Dead Set. For American Beauty, the key is correct.

...which would be the same as the live versions from 1970-1974.

For live versions 1977-1995, simply raise the key by one whole step, and drop the "doo-doo-doo"'s.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby cunamara » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:53 pm

ebick wrote:
cunamara wrote:"Correct" is relative given that the Dead reharmonized tunes and changed arrangements all the time- sometimes from one performance to the next. You have to pick what you think is the definitive version.

In "Brokedown Palace" the version on rukind.org is transposed down a whole step- as you note- but also has a variation in the harmony compared to the version on "Dead Set," the line:

All the tabs list the album that the version represents. In this case, American Beauty, not Dead Set. For American Beauty, the key is correct.

Yep. It's interesting to note that your version doesn't completely match the official sheet music from the time, but to my ears the official sheet music sounds incorrect and yours sounds more correct.
cunamara
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: in Pittsburgh

Postby myoung6923 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:42 pm

causebass wrote:I was there when Jerry sang the broke brokedown in Pittsburgh ...didn't start in the wrong key but started in the verse..

Ha! Yeah - I was at that one too! Only time I've ever see the band stop a song - the whole place was silent for a second - like it was a collective "oh fuck" - then Jerry said - "that sounded real good didn't it?" and they started it over with the correct verse - ha! it was great!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby reccstermatt » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:17 pm

I always thought the song was in the F, this version doesnt seem right to my ears, I guess it depends on which version are listening to at the time/ what sounds better to you
Mama said dont go near that river
dont be hangin around
with no catfish john
but in the morning id always be there
walkin in his footsteps in the sweet belt of dawn
reccstermatt
TC
TC

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:23 am

The song WAS in F for a long time. Somewhere in the late 70's they canged it to G. There's a chord missing in this transposition though - it's an Em - in the same place where the Dm would be in the F version.

After I started playing it in G I much prefer it. Just personal preference though.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby BOUKINATOR » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:15 am

bobbybobbob wrote:I always said the key of Dm was the sadest keys of them all, it's enough to make a man cry just by hearing it

NAME THAT MOVIE

Spinal Tap

p.s. anybody wanna start a Barber-shop Reggae band?
BOUKINATOR
Mickey
Mickey

Postby ebick » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:55 am

"That's a really beautiful piece"

"Yes, well, I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach.....this is sort of a Moch piece"

"What's it called?"

"Oh this one? This one's called Lick My Love Pump"
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby BOUKINATOR » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:06 pm

ok we're getting a bit off the subject (that never happens here) but every musician should see Spinal Tap... and A Mighty Wind... in fact, all Christopher Guest movies

did you know he was the 6-fingered man in Princess Bride?

anyway, back to the subject... my band is playing Brokedown at our next show this Sat and a mandolin player is sitting in for it! Anybody know if a certain key would be better suited for mando?
BOUKINATOR
Mickey
Mickey

Re: This version is way off try this

Postby rkubik » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:57 pm

I don't mind the version on the site at all. My problem is I really suck at a normal F chord (short little finger) so I drop it down to the Barre Chord on the 8th and 10th fret and it has seemed to help. Adds a little sweetness to it in my opinion. Any other versions out there? One of my all-time favorite Dead tunes
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:21 pm

A / D intro version for me
great tune !
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:21 pm

rkubik wrote:My problem is I really suck at a normal F chord (short little finger)

Garcia had the same problem apparently! Not really, but I never saw him actually barre an F chord- just play the top 4 strings and no barre is ever needed.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Previous

Return to Brokedown Palace